MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Tuesday, September 2, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 61.0° F  Fair
Collapse Photo Bar

Fear 2

Wiis, PlayStations, iPads, blogging platforms, Facebook and anything else worthy of buzz in the digital world.

Fear 2

Postby Beer Moon » Wed Mar 04, 2009 6:51 pm

I liked the first one - and I like this one!!

Good AI - enemies take cover and snipe you when possible.

Sweet graphics. Fast loading time - very fast.

I've heard more visceral sound effects, but overall I like the weapon selection.

You have to take a good amount of care navigating the levels - they will throw you more than you can chew. There's definitely an air of creepiness that they tend to turn on and off. I liked that about the first game - and I like it about this one too. However, I could go for more stealth options. Seems like they all call for help as soon as you shoot the first guy. That's fine - but I feel like I should have a chance to do something about that. So far, I haven't found any strategy that allows you to not mow down 30-50 guys per level. I like mowing down - but I have played games where you're offered more options, and I guess I am getting used to having them.

I am really enjoying the "intel" artifacts everwhere that piece together the story along the way. Not exactly a novel idea, but they are written well, and the progression of more information seems to fit the story pretty well.

I must be getting near the end, because I only have a few friends left...
Beer Moon
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Fear 2

Postby TAsunder » Thu Mar 05, 2009 10:39 am

So for those of us who thought the first one was an overrated piece of crap that was enjoyable only for the first hour out of the total of seven hours of gameplay, would you say that we should skip it?
TAsunder
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Beer Moon » Thu Mar 05, 2009 3:53 pm

TAsunder wrote:So for those of us who thought the first one was an overrated piece of crap that was enjoyable only for the first hour out of the total of seven hours of gameplay, would you say that we should skip it?

Yep.
Beer Moon
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Shipley » Thu Mar 05, 2009 7:59 pm

WOuld you say worth buying or worth a rental? I didn't realize FEAR was a big deal until #2 comes out an so many people are talking about it. Not that I don't have PLENTY to play right now, but...
Shipley
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Beer Moon » Thu Mar 05, 2009 9:17 pm

Guess I should have posted a more thorough review. That's what I get for trying to get off without 40 minutes invested into a post.

I tend not to rent though. I even keep the bad ones. Gamer pack-rat I guess.

I'm having fun so far. $60 fun? I tend to measure by movie prices. Movies is around $10 an hour all said and done (snacks etc). If I have fun for a good 8 hours out of $60, that's better entertainment than the vast majority of films out there.

I have probably put in about 5 hours so far.

On the other hand, Hour 1 of Fable 2 was enough to know that it was a stellar game for me. So Fear 2 certainly isn't all that for my tastes.

I have only played the demo of Resident Evil 5, but if I had to decide between the two - I dunno. These maps seem a LITTLE more open-ended - RE5 seemed very much on rails to me - given the demo was quite limited. Also, what is their obsession with not providing ammo in RE games? FEAR 2 is more forgiving in that aspect - but you still have to watch it - luckily it's hard to miss in slo-mo mode.

If you like creepy 1st-person shooters - give it a rent.
Beer Moon
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TAsunder » Fri Mar 06, 2009 10:13 am

$60 for 8 hours may be (arguably) better than $10 for an hour movie, but it's still worse than $60 for much more gameplay. How are the level designs in FEAR 2? That was actually my major complaint about the original - the levels were designed really poorly and weren't indicative of anything resembling realistic offices/abandoned buildings. After really liking the early parts due to the physics, AI, and story, it got to be a real drag to go to floor 23 of 987 of office cubicles looking for a staircase that for some unknown reason is not in any logical place (such as, say, where the stairs to floor 23 were).
TAsunder
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Beer Moon » Mon Mar 09, 2009 6:10 pm

Level design I think should be much more to your liking, then.

It is far more varied. There are some odd hallway sequences, but you start breaking out into what is essentially an exploded city, weaving in and out of buildings with half their sides blown off.

The first few hours I did not think about it at all, but there is definitely a point where the levels become much more interesting.
Beer Moon
Forum God/Goddess

Return to Technology & Video Games