MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Saturday, November 29, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 27.0° F  Fog/Mist
Collapse Photo Bar

West side bars and taverns - suggestions?

What are the things that puzzle, enrage, delight and tickle you as you go about your life in Madison?

Re: West side bars and taverns - suggestions?

Postby towanda » Wed Jan 28, 2009 12:11 am

Village Green's veggie burgers are just regular Gardenburgers. Nothing to write home about.
towanda
Forum Addict

Postby ilikebeans » Wed Jan 28, 2009 1:03 am

One obvious place that hasn't made the list yet-- Great Dane at Hilldale. I'm sure I don't have to explain what they're all about.
ilikebeans
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bellwether » Wed Jan 28, 2009 2:03 am

ilikebeans wrote:One obvious place that hasn't made the list yet-- Great Dane at Hilldale.

I don't like the food at that location as well as either downtown or in Fitchburg. Can they sell their own beer yet?
Bellwether
Forum Addict

Postby ilikebeans » Wed Jan 28, 2009 2:51 pm

Bellwether wrote:
ilikebeans wrote:Can they sell their own beer yet?

Yes. That changed about a year ago, I believe.
ilikebeans
Forum God/Goddess

Postby bassbari » Fri Jan 30, 2009 4:08 pm

OakCrest on Old Middleton Rd
bassbari
Forum God/Goddess

Postby wallrock » Tue Mar 10, 2009 1:02 pm

Igor wrote:Other west side options:

JT Whitneys
Babe's (sports bar/restaurant)
Old Town Pub

I learned last night that JT Whitney's has closed - no word on if it's temporary while "new owners" take over or if it's for good.

After the hockey game Friday night we stopped for our customary drink and after asking around learned that the owner had been evicted, but we had been assured by the bartender that new owners were on board and the place wouldn't close. We had asked her if we should be taking our Mug Club glasses home with us just in case, and ended up leaving them after her guarantee. Then last night my friend's wife was buying something in that strip mall and called to say there was a Closed sign up on the door.

If it is gone for good I'll be sad. JT's was never the best but damn it, it was my regular watering hole.
wallrock
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fennel » Tue Mar 10, 2009 7:49 pm

So which of these bars has no TV? That's what I'm thirsting for.
fennel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby towanda » Fri Mar 13, 2009 1:01 am

Just get yourself a TV-B-Gone and let the fun begin!
towanda
Forum Addict

Postby forwardourmotto » Wed Mar 18, 2009 7:23 pm

fennel wrote:So which of these bars has no TV? That's what I'm thirsting for.

You might have to go to the Malt House on the East side...although if you find one on the West side...please post. I'd prefer to have a beer or two closer to home.
forwardourmotto
Forum Addict

Postby fennel » Wed Mar 18, 2009 7:51 pm

forwardourmotto wrote:
fennel wrote:So which of these bars has no TV? That's what I'm thirsting for.

You might have to go to the Malt House on the East side...although if you find one on the West side...please post. I'd prefer to have a beer or two closer to home.
So maybe this is what distinguishes a bar or tavern from a pub. A real pub has no TV.
fennel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby t4d » Thu Mar 19, 2009 1:55 pm

I find it amusing that people specifically seek out a bar with no TV. How about you just not watch the TV at the bar? Sounds to me like you're taking anti-TVism a bit too far.

A good deal of bar business is for sports events ... a bar on the West side that made it a point to have no TV would likely cater to such a small niche that it would not be a sustainable business, IMHO. This would maybe fly on Willy Street, but not on Odana.
t4d

Postby forwardourmotto » Thu Mar 19, 2009 7:45 pm

t4d wrote:I find it amusing that people specifically seek out a bar with no TV. How about you just not watch the TV at the bar? Sounds to me like you're taking anti-TVism a bit too far.

And I'm amused that you seem surprised that people gripe about TVs. :P I'm also amused that you think seeking out a bar without TVs is anti-TVism (I have several in my home). It's just easier to converse with no TV around.

A good deal of bar business is for sports events ... a bar on the West side that made it a point to have no TV would likely cater to such a small niche that it would not be a sustainable business, IMHO. This would maybe fly on Willy Street, but not on Odana.

It completely depends on the bar. If it was a sports bar, no TVs would never work. If it's a place like the Malt House, I think it could work regardless of where it is in town. I'm sure there are enough beer snobs on the West side to keep it in business. Conversing without a TV isn't some strange East-side phenominon you know.
forwardourmotto
Forum Addict

Postby Bellwether » Fri Mar 20, 2009 1:24 am

It's almost impossible to ignore a 27- or 42-inch glowing, flashing object in your peripheral vision. Worse, most places that have them make it hard to turn away because they have them all around -- you turn your back to one only to be faced with another. I'm not anti-TV -- if you knew me you'd know how much I watch, it's a joke among friends that I have time to watch that much because I don't have kids -- but I don't necessarily want to be faced with it when I'm out and about.

So I'd be interested in knowing where it's possible to go without TVs.
Bellwether
Forum Addict

Postby fennel » Mon Feb 07, 2011 5:59 pm

With all the new establishments of late, I'm wondering whether this is still seemingly a lost cause – a TV-free bar in Madison.
fennel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Mon Feb 07, 2011 10:34 pm

fennel wrote:With all the new establishments of late, I'm wondering whether this is still seemingly a lost cause – a TV-free bar in Madison.

The Mason Lounge. No TV's and a beer list that makes it the Malt House of the near west side.
gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

PreviousNext

Return to Town Vibe