MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Sunday, December 28, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 27.0° F  Overcast
Collapse Photo Bar

Cramer v. Stewart

How can cultural elitists like ourselves put TV in the Culture category? Well, where the hell else is it going to fit?

Cramer v. Stewart

Postby jjoyce » Wed Mar 11, 2009 9:16 pm

Can anyone remember an owning on this level? A few things I've learned:

1. Stewart is a comedian. Cramer used that term derisively on the Today show the other day, as though a comedian can't be more accurate, socially relevant or trusted than a... um... well, whatever Cramer is.

2. If it wasn't abundantly clear already, the clowns are officially the truth tellers and those billed as truth tellers are officially clowns. I'm still pretty young, so maybe that's the way it's always been. But Cramer and Santelli and Scarbrough, who all like to pass themselves off as earnest, grave, rational people who are smarter than the rest of us.

3. Cable stooges may never learn, or their outsized egos might never let them learn (anything, really), but you don't pick a fight with a guy as smart and funny as Stewart who is backed by a crew of writers who are even smarter and, together, funnier. You will never, ever win. Example: Bill O'Reilly. Example: John McCain. Example: Half hour comedy hour, or whatever that stain of a show was called.

Watch this, if you have no idea what I'm talking about:
http://www.hulu.com/watch/61736/the-dai ... ar-10-2009
jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Cramer v. Stewart

Postby Shipley » Thu Mar 12, 2009 10:16 am

The thing that separates Stewart and these bozos is simple: RESEARCH. Daily Show doesn't go on air with bullshit. They can make up whatever they want and call it a projection or prediction, Daily Show only ever goes on with what actually happens.

The reason Jon Stewart shows a clip and just makes a funny face most times is because these fucking cable clowns, idiot politicians, and stupid celebrities write the jokes for him. He doesn't have to deliver a punch line!
Shipley
Forum God/Goddess

Postby mrak » Thu Mar 12, 2009 11:16 am

jjoyce wrote:1. Stewart is a comedian. Cramer used that term derisively on the Today show the other day, as though a comedian can't be more accurate, socially relevant or trusted than a... um... well, whatever Cramer is.

Cramer must not have gotten the memo. It's customary, when dissing Stewart, to refer to him as a failed comedian.

(Never mind that 99.9% - or more - of comedians and wanna-bes can only dream of achieving the level of "failure" Stewart has.)
mrak
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Renee Gabel » Thu Mar 12, 2009 12:28 pm

Research? Anyone can cut and paste a bunch of clips of Warren Buffet and make him look like a complete buffoon too. I could put together a bunch of clips of Cramer and make him look like an investment God. What's the point here?

Oh yea.

Stuart Lebowitz is a comedian, not a news broadcaster. Jim Cramer is an entertainer, not a news broadcaster. This is a stupid thread.

Cramer's show is called Mad Money. Mad money is money you use to "play" the market, not your 401k or the kind of money you would gratefully hand to Madoff.

Before the start of every episode of Mad Money there is a disclaimer, read it.

If Jim Cramer is a cable stooge, so is Stuart Lebowitz. Uh, Comedy Central is a broadcast network now?
Renee Gabel
Forum Addict

Postby Bland » Thu Mar 12, 2009 12:52 pm

Renee Gabel wrote:I could put together a bunch of clips of Cramer and make him look like an investment God.

Either put up, or shut up.
Bland
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Thu Mar 12, 2009 12:54 pm

Cramer's show is called Mad Money. Mad money is money you use to "play" the market, not your 401k or the kind of money you would gratefully hand to Madoff.

Oh so it's just play money people lost becasue of that guy. That makes it better. You do realize fluffing up these stocks artificially affects your 401k don't you? Or is there some protection I don't know about in the stock market that protects people's 401k from all this "play" money people are throwing around.
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Renee Gabel » Thu Mar 12, 2009 1:03 pm

Bland wrote:
Renee Gabel wrote:I could put together a bunch of clips of Cramer and make him look like an investment God.

Here's one from October 2008 on msnbc, two or three thousands DOW points ago.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/27045699/
Renee Gabel
Forum Addict

Postby Renee Gabel » Thu Mar 12, 2009 1:08 pm

fisticuffs wrote:

Oh so it's just play money people lost becasue of that guy. That makes it better. You do realize fluffing up these stocks artificially affects your 401k don't you? Or is there some protection I don't know about in the stock market that protects people's 401k from all this "play" money people are throwing around.

Did you read or listen to the Mad Money disclaimer? The money you, Joe-six pack and I invest in our slush fund because of listening to Jim Cramer doesn't move markets. Huge investment firms with global bank accounts do. They are not listening to entertainers for market advice.

A lot of the information Cramer shares on this show is useful. You just have to know how to use it. Idiots will always be idiots and will always try to blame someone else for being an idiot.
Renee Gabel
Forum Addict

Postby Bland » Thu Mar 12, 2009 1:15 pm

Renee Gabel wrote:
Bland wrote:

Here's one from October 2008 on msnbc, two or three thousands DOW points ago.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/27045699/

First of all, a single link is not "a bunch of clips."
More importantly, telling people to stop investing when the market was already in the tank hardly qualifies anyone for "God status."

Fail.
Bland
Forum God/Goddess

Postby entretanto » Thu Mar 12, 2009 1:18 pm

Yeah, you're right Renee this IS a stupid thread. I see you've posted in it more than anyone - there may be a correlation there.

And that Stuart Lebowitz shit just cements your douchieness in my book.
entretanto

Postby donges » Thu Mar 12, 2009 1:31 pm

entretanto wrote:And that Stuart Lebowitz shit just cements your douchieness in my book.

Especially since the name is actually Jonathan Stuart Leibowitz.
donges
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Thu Mar 12, 2009 1:35 pm

OMG Jon Stewart is Jewish?!!?!?!?! I had no idea. He's been pretty good at hiding it. Thank god we have uppity anti-semites like Renee here to shine the light on stuff like this.
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby O.J. » Thu Mar 12, 2009 1:48 pm

Not to stick up for Bunny Chow, but Jim Cramer is Jewish, too: maybe she's just selectively bigoted.

The problem with being a stock picker is that no one strategy works at all times. Cramer is a pretty big proponent of buying on the dips. This is usually successful in a long-term bull market; when Wall Street starts cratering...not so much.
O.J.
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Renee Gabel » Thu Mar 12, 2009 2:34 pm

Just going by accountability. Using real names from now on. In fact, anyone who doesn't use their real name doesn't really have anything to say anyway. If you have a moniker, I don't take you seriously.

Nobody called this market. Nobody. We all hoped the bottom was just under 8. Making fun of Cramer is just that. Making fun. Anyone who blames him for their idiocracy is an idiot.

Stuart is a brilliant comedian. I think his spins out a lot of great talent. I'm a fan of Colbert, Helms, Martin and that other guy who did 40 year old virgin.
Renee Gabel
Forum Addict

Postby Renee Gabel » Thu Mar 12, 2009 2:37 pm

entretanto wrote:
And that Stuart Lebowitz shit just cements your douchieness in my book.

I'm positive his mother would disagree. By the way, what's your real name?

Do you think posting under a moniker and not your real name makes you cool and undouchy?
Renee Gabel
Forum Addict

Next

Return to TV