MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Monday, September 22, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 60.0° F  Fair
Collapse Photo Bar

Channel 27...the bastids

How can cultural elitists like ourselves put TV in the Culture category? Well, where the hell else is it going to fit?

Channel 27...the bastids

Postby chainsawcurtis » Fri Mar 13, 2009 3:16 pm

Channel 27 has been running the crawls at the bottom of the screen for, like, two years announcing the switch to digital etc. In fact some stations are still running notices.

I really don't keep up with local sports but I do tape General Hospital every day. My wife and I watch it as a kind of wind down from all the crap. It's fun and harmless. Ya think 27 could run a crawl that says they're pre-empting it for girls high school basketball? Noooooooo.[/rant]
chainsawcurtis
Forum Addict

Re: Channel 27...the bastids

Postby gargantua » Fri Mar 13, 2009 3:18 pm

Love the thread title.
gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jjoyce » Fri Mar 13, 2009 3:24 pm

Don't they normally do that about a week out?

I know that they often run a crawl at the bottom of the basketball game saying General Hospital or whatever will run, in its entirety, at like 2 am.
jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Postby chainsawcurtis » Fri Mar 13, 2009 3:35 pm

jjoyce wrote:Don't they normally do that about a week out?

I tape it every day. We tape over shows that are a week old but we did not see a crawl about basketball - girls or other wise. Yes, I know they do this every year but, really, a heads up so we can switch to 17 out of Rockford would have been nice.

I'm not tuning in at 3:40 in the morning.
chainsawcurtis
Forum Addict

Postby fisticuffs » Fri Mar 13, 2009 3:39 pm

I really don't keep up with local sports but I do tape General Hospital every day.

Another good reason to use a pseudonym on message boards. Kudos for freely admitting this embarrassing little tidbit. My girl was pretty surprised as well when she tuned in to watch Grey's last night and it was preempted by Girls BBall. Good fundamentals aside I can't believe the station would preempt a money maker like Greys.
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby chainsawcurtis » Fri Mar 13, 2009 3:50 pm

Justice Thurgood Marshall had a tiny tv in his desk drawer that he tuned to watch All My Children every day during lunch break.

I've been keeping up with GH since the mid-eighties and before that watched Another World from 1974 till they went off the air in the early nineties. It's a product of working nights for the last thirty-five years. There used to be three stations to watch during the day and all they had on were soaps.

Based in NYC, AW had great actors some of whom made it to film - I'm thinking Ray Liotta for one. These folks were mostly off B'way stage actors doing it for $$ but the ensemble acting work was really good and fun to watch sometimes.
chainsawcurtis
Forum Addict

Postby O.J. » Fri Mar 13, 2009 3:56 pm

chainsawcurtis wrote:
I tape it every day.

Couldn't you tape it at 3:40 in the morning?
O.J.
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stu Levitan » Fri Mar 13, 2009 4:08 pm

So, people are (a) upset at Madison radio for trading national syndication for local programming, and (b) upset at Madison TV for ignoring nationally syndicated TV shows in favor of local programming. One foron even wonders how/why WKOW could do something like this and lose the Grey's Anatomy ad revenue.

Got it.
Stu Levitan
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Fri Mar 13, 2009 4:16 pm

upset at Madison TV for ignoring nationally syndicated TV shows in favor of local programming. One foron even wonders how/why WKOW could do something like this and lose the Grey's Anatomy ad revenue.

I never said I was upset just surprised. They can go ahead and preempt Greys for ice melting for all I care.
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Kenneth Burns » Fri Mar 13, 2009 4:41 pm

At various moments in my life I have tried to watch daytime soap operas, including a period about 12 years ago when I was briefly intrigued by Days of Our Lives and a story thread about a murderous evil twin priest. But I can never stay with it. I find soaps painfully dull.
Kenneth Burns
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Shipley » Fri Mar 13, 2009 5:01 pm

WKOW also didn't warn me that Lost would be repeat this week either. What they fuck?
Shipley
Forum God/Goddess

Postby chainsawcurtis » Fri Mar 13, 2009 5:29 pm

O.J. wrote:
chainsawcurtis wrote:
I tape it every day.

Couldn't you tape it at 3:40 in the morning?

Yeah, there's a certain amount of duh factor going on here. I just had a daily routine going and if I had known would have tuned into the other channel.

At the end of last week's LOST the trailer said "in two weeks" so we were certain that there was either a re-run or a preemption going on. Last year 27 pre-empted LOST! [insert hammerheadsmileyfaceicon here.]

Plus, considering some of the stuff that goes on at DPF maybe I was just trolling for something a little lighter. Sosumi.
chainsawcurtis
Forum Addict

Postby EastSideTom » Fri Mar 13, 2009 6:22 pm

Channel 27 has been running the High School tournaments for several decades. None of this should surprise anyone who has been paying attention.
EastSideTom
Forum Addict

Postby barney » Sat Mar 14, 2009 1:22 pm

You've got options:

1) SoapNet - runs that nights episode that evening, and also the next morning, and also full week on the weekend
2) ABC.com has the full eps on their website
3) TiVo (this won't help you now, but in the future) - it will get it for you at 2:35 or whenever get rescheduled.
barney
Forum God/Goddess

Postby peripat » Sat Mar 14, 2009 7:35 pm

But you can't assume people who don't watch basketball remember when it happens... March Madness or not. Believe it or not there are a lot of people who couldn't tell you when "basketball season" falls (or football, baseball, hockey etc)
I know its SPORTS and is supposed to be engraved on the human brain, but really, real people live real lives without ever noticing sporting events (Just like real people live real lives without ever noticing opera or ballet or soap operas)
peripat
Forum God/Goddess

Next

Return to TV