MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Friday, November 21, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 22.0° F  A Few Clouds
Collapse Photo Bar

Public Enemies trailer released

Comment on the Isthmus movie reviews, write one yourself, discuss upcoming flicks, recent DVDs, and other realms in the world of cinema.

Public Enemies trailer released

Postby jjoyce » Wed Mar 04, 2009 2:56 pm

http://www.thedailypage.com/daily/artic ... icle=25267

I spot at least one Capitol interior and one exterior.
jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Public Enemies trailer released

Postby jjoyce » Wed Mar 04, 2009 3:04 pm

and

jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Postby boston_jeff » Thu Mar 05, 2009 3:14 pm

Looks pretty cool, curious about the "mixed reviews." Any dish Joyce?
boston_jeff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Shipley » Thu Mar 05, 2009 3:28 pm

I'd be curious about mixed reviews too, since the movie doesn't come out until July. Of course, thats why they have those test screenings, so they can fix whats hurting the movie and make it better.

Depp in the jail cell is wearing the same outfit he didn when I was on set in Darlington now a year ago. This has been a long ride, but this is the most anticipated movie for me that doesn't have giant robots in it (and we've got two of those this year!).
Shipley
Forum God/Goddess

Postby mrak » Thu Mar 05, 2009 3:44 pm

Looks pretty - I do enjoy seeing that time period recreated in films.
mrak
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jjoyce » Thu Mar 05, 2009 8:04 pm

I think Isthmus photog Eric Tadsen is in that clutch of reporters somewhere.
jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Kenyatta » Sun Mar 08, 2009 6:09 pm

That's cool, thanks. I saw them filming on the square. I was on the sidewalk and a guy in a brown suit was talking to someone near me. After he'd walked back up to the Capitol someone told me it was Christian Bale. I hadn't known what he looked like before that.

A friend of mine has a shoe repair shop and she did the shoes for the movie. She learned a lot about shoes of that period. She said the director, Michael Mann, was very meticulous about making sure everything fit the time period.
Kenyatta

Postby white_rabbit » Sun Mar 08, 2009 6:19 pm

So with the Governor killing the film tax credit I wonder if the producers will be filming the next in the series in Wisconsin.
white_rabbit
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Kenyatta » Fri Mar 13, 2009 7:36 pm

white_rabbit wrote:So with the Governor killing the film tax credit I wonder if the producers will be filming the next in the series in Wisconsin.

Yeah, that's a shame about the tax. The movies bring business to the towns where they are filmed.

Do you mean the next "criminal" movie? As in a sequel to Public Enemies? Maybe about Melvin Purvis going after Pretty Boy Floyd. Melvin Purvis himself had quite an interesting life. I guess J. Edgar Hoover was jealous about the attention he received after killing Dillinger. Purvis ended up resigning from the FBI and practiced law. He committed suicide in 1960 with what some say was the same gun used to kill Dillinger.
Kenyatta

Postby Steve Vokers » Sat Mar 14, 2009 5:33 am

They should let us all in to see it for free since we paid $5 million for it. :roll:
Steve Vokers
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Shipley » Sat Mar 14, 2009 8:39 am

Steve Vokers wrote:They should let us all in to see it for free since we paid $5 million for it. :roll:

It brought in more than that in business to the state. try to keep up.
Shipley
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Steve Vokers » Sat Mar 14, 2009 10:36 am

Shipley wrote:
Steve Vokers wrote:They should let us all in to see it for free since we paid $5 million for it. :roll:

It brought in more than that in business to the state. try to keep up.

Um, sure, I'm the one that needs to keep up...

State Could Lose Big In Movie Tax Incentive Fight

However, the Wisconsin Department of Commerce said Public Enemies spent $5 million in the state and got $4.6 million back in credits from state tax payers.

"One movie, a movie that will probably make hundreds of millions of dollars, got $4 million of Wisconsin taxpayer money. That money went to do such things as help pay for the director's salary. It did not create permanent jobs here in the state of Wisconsin," Doyle said.

A lot of the money went to out-of-state entities, for things like equipment rental and salaries and travel agents. Kiss our tax money goodbye, hope Johnny Depp spends it wisely.
Steve Vokers
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Kenyatta » Sat Mar 14, 2009 8:44 pm

I know we spent money at restaurants when we went to see the filming in Columbus. The friend I know who did the shoes for the movie made a lot of money. And then there were the costumes, cars, etc.

The crew was in Columbus for three days last month, their first stint in the state, and brought in at least $350,000 for the city, Mayor Nancy Osterhaus said.... She expects it will bring in at least $500,000 when all is done.

They planned to film scenes from when John Dillinger and his gang robbed the American Bank and Trust in Racine in 1933. The Racine Art Museum is now housed in that renovated building.

Society Executive Director Bob Teske said the film crew's work will benefit them by at least $100,000. The society is in the middle of a five-year, $7.5 million renovation. The publicity and the location fee paid for use of the site also is going to help them, he said.

"It's been a wonderful blessing for the society," he said....

For Oshkosh, this month's filming has brought in an estimated $4 million in visitor spending and local production costs....

Scott Robbe, executive director of Film Wisconsin, said not only did crews spend money helping out the historical society but booked hundreds of rooms at the Hyatt Regency Milwaukee for cast and crew and bought lumber, hardware, paint and other items for the renovations.

The publicity will draw tourists later who want to see where the movie was filmed, Robbe said.

"The Perception of Milwaukee and Wisconsin is a very positive one in the eyes of other people who are following the story," he said.

He expects the movie to bring in $20 million to the state when they are finished.
Oshkosh Northwestern
Kenyatta

Postby boston_jeff » Sun Mar 15, 2009 1:17 am

exactly.
boston_jeff
Forum God/Goddess

Return to Movies