MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Wednesday, October 1, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 62.0° F  Overcast
Collapse Photo Bar

USS Liberty:What happened?

If it's news, but not politics, then it goes here.

USS Liberty:What happened?

Postby jonnygothispen » Wed Jul 09, 2008 12:34 pm

Here's a few things I found about Israel's attack on the USS Liberty...Those involved are STILL trying to get a confession from Israel over this..

http://www.gtr5.com/

On June 8, 1967, US Navy intelligence ship USS Liberty was suddenly and brutally attacked on the high seas in international waters by the air and naval forces of Israel. Israeli forces attacked with full knowledge that this was an American ship.

The USS LIBERTY was an elaborate state-of-the art intelligence gathering ship in international waters off the Gaza strip & flying the Stars & Stripes. Israeli reconnaissance planes flew overhead for hours. Pilots & ship's crew waved to each other.

Sailing in international waters at less than five knots, with no offensive armament, The Liberty was not a military threat to anyone.

USS Liberty was identified as a US naval ship by Israeli reconnaissance aircraft nine hours before the attack & continuously tracked by Israeli radar & aircraft thereafter. Then the air & naval forces of Israel attacked our ship in international waters without warning.

The torpedo boats came within 50 feet of the ship, couldn’t see the American flag on the mast, couldn’t see the words “USS LIBERTY” on the stern, couldn’t see “GTR-5″ in 6 1/2 foot letters on the bow?

FIVE torpedoes were lobbed at the USS Liberty; one hit amidships and instantly killed 25 sailors. A total of 34 died in the attack, 172 were injured.

The boats shot at American sailors on the deck of the Liberty as the sailors tried to help one another. The Israeli soldiers shot up the life rafts put in the water by Liberty sailors preparing to abandon the ship.

Israel’s boats left the scene when they got erroneous word that US carriers had sent fighters to help the Liberty.

“That the attack was deliberate just wasn't a disputed issue within the National Security Agency” -- Former NSA Director retired Army Lieutenant General William Odom, March 3, 2003.

"The board of inquiry (concluded) that the Israelis knew exactly what they were doing in attacking the Liberty." -- CIA Director Richard Helms

"I can tell you for an absolute certainty (from intercepted communications) that the Israelis knew they were attacking an American ship." -- NSA Deputy Director Oliver Kirby

"The evidence was clear. Both Admiral Kidd and I believed with certainty that this attack was a deliberate effort to sink an American ship and murder its entire crew….
…It was our shared belief that the attack could not possibly have been an accident. I am certain that the Israeli pilots & their superiors were well aware that the ship was American." - Captain Ward Boston, JAGC, US Navy, senior legal counsel-US Navy Court of Inquiry

The Liberty was a $40 Million Dollar state of the art signals intelligence platform, was later declared unsalvageable and sold for scrap.
Last edited by jonnygothispen on Sun Jun 21, 2009 1:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.
jonnygothispen
Forum God/Goddess

Re: USS Liberty:What happened?

Postby jonnygothispen » Tue Nov 04, 2008 2:07 pm

http://www.military.com/news/article/ke ... ml?wh=news

June 16, 2008
Military.com|by Bryant Jordan

"Retired Navy Capt. Ward Boston, who in 2002 broke 35 years of silence to say the US Navy Board of Inquiry long cited to clear Israel of wrongdoing in attacking a US Navy ship during the Six Day War was a sham, died June 12 in California... In 2002 he at last began to talk about the investigation, saying the board's work was intended as a cover-up.

Other credible sources had called the incident a deliberate attack on an American ship -- among them former Secretary of State Dean Rusk, former CIA Directors Richard Helms and Bobbie Inman, former National Security Agency Director Marshall Carter, and Rear Adm. Merlin Staring...

He also stated that the board president, Rear Adm. Isaac Kidd, told him that he had been ordered to re-write portions of the report when he brought it to Washington.

"We … felt the lid had finally been lifted in 2002 when Captain Boston came forward to report the inner workings of the cover-up,” Jim Ennis, a Liberty survivor and author of the 1980 book Assault on the Liberty, told Military.com. "Finally, we thought, Congress would give us the investigation we have sought since 1967.”

http://www.defensetech.org/archives/003776.html

"Then came the Tribune story last week, reporting that the National Security Agency's deputy director of operations in 1967 now confirms that transcripts of U.S. intercepts of Israeli communications show the Israelis knew exactly who they were attacking.

Oliver Kirby is quoted in the Trib story as recalling the Israeli pilots several times identifying the ship as American but being told to attack anyway. While some of the original transcripts and intel have disappeared, the story reports that some of it is still in U.S. government archives."
jonnygothispen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Peanutbutter » Tue Mar 17, 2009 10:18 am

Anti-semites should be locked up.
Peanutbutter
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ned Flanders » Tue Mar 17, 2009 11:06 am

In other news, the British burned the White House. President Madison was unharmed.
Ned Flanders
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jonnygothispen » Tue Mar 17, 2009 11:57 am

I think it's interesting how Israel cites a "right" to commit genocide to steal land they abandoned, by using a book written a couple thousand years ago where a fictional God mass murders babies, orders the rapes of women, and "loved the world so much..." that he killed nearly everyone in it in a big flood, but Republicans think 40 years ago is going to far back. I also think it's bizarre to support people who actually attacked the United States (unlike Iraq). So it's definitely relevant, and in context of showing how their arrogance developed, and that it's the same arrogance they're using now when targeting civilians as they just did in January. but you didn't watch the videos.

I've never been anti-semite. I am anti-genocide though.

Although it appears that you may be anti-semite, Peanut butters..

Jews against Israel's Zionism: http://www.ijsn.net/home/
As Jews, we have an additional responsibility to speak and to act against these despicable acts, because we are heirs to the victims of a genocide, because Israel is claiming to “defend” us through the ethnic cleansing of Palestine with the ultimate goal of erasing the Palestinian people
Last edited by jonnygothispen on Tue Mar 17, 2009 12:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jonnygothispen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Tue Mar 17, 2009 11:59 am

The Common Cuckoo Bird
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jonnygothispen » Tue Mar 17, 2009 12:04 pm

Just wondering, fisticuffs, are you for people who attacked the US?
jonnygothispen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Tue Mar 17, 2009 12:07 pm

Code: Select all
Just wondering, fisticuffs, are you for people who attacked the US?

It's not that I'm for anything. I just hate Freedom.
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jonnygothispen » Tue Mar 17, 2009 12:09 pm

fisticuffs wrote:It's not that I'm for anything. I just hate Freedom.

lol :)
jonnygothispen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jonnygothispen » Thu Dec 24, 2009 12:52 pm

http://www.couplescompany.com/FEATURES/ ... mMoore.htm

Betrayal behind Israeli
attack on U.S. ship
By ADM. THOMAS MOORER
Moorer was chairman of the joint chiefs of staff from 1970 to 1974

After State Department officials and historians assembled in Washington, D.C., last week to discuss the 1967 war in the Middle East, I am compelled to speak out about one of U.S. history's most shocking cover-ups. On June 8, 1967, Israel attacked our proud naval ship -- the USS Liberty --killing 34 American servicemen and wounding 172. Those men were then betrayed and left to die by our own government. U.S. military rescue aircraft were recalled, not once, but twice, through direct intervention by the Johnson administration. Secretary of Defense Robert McNamara's cancellation of the Navy's attempt to rescue the Liberty, which I personally confirmed from the commanders of the aircraft carriers America and Saratoga, was the most disgraceful act I witnessed in my entire military career. To add insult to injury, Congress, to this day, has failed to hold formal hearings on Israel's attack on this American ship. No official investigation of Israel's attack has ever permitted the testimony of the surviving crew members. A 1967 investigation by the Navy, upon which all other reports are based, has now been fully discredited as a cover-up by its senior attorney. Capt. Ward Boston, in a sworn affidavit, recently revealed that the court was ordered by the White House to cover up the incident and find that Israel's attack was "a case of mistaken identity." TOP

Some distinguished colleagues and I formed an independent commission to investigate the attack on the USS Liberty. After an exhaustive review of previous reports, naval and other military records, including eyewitness testimony from survivors, we recently presented our findings on Capitol Hill. They include:

*Israeli reconnaissance aircraft closely studied the Liberty during an eight-hour period prior to the attack, one flying within 200 feet of the ship.
*Weather reports confirm the day was clear with unlimited visibility.
*The Liberty was a clearly marked American ship in international waters, flying an American flag and carrying large U.S. Navy hull letters and numbers on its bow.

Despite claims by Israeli intelligence that they confused the Liberty with a small Egyptian transport, the Liberty was conspicuously different from any vessel in the Egyptian navy. It was the most sophisticated intelligence ship in the world in 1967. With its massive radio antennae, including a large satellite dish, it looked like a large lobster and was one of the most easily identifiable ships afloat.

*Israel attempted to prevent the Liberty's radio operators from sending a call for help by jamming American emergency radio channels.
* Israeli torpedo boats machine-gunned lifeboats at close range that had been lowered to rescue the most seriously wounded. TOP

As a result, our commission concluded that:

* There is compelling evidence that Israel's attack was a deliberate attempt to destroy an American ship and kill her entire crew.
* In attacking the USS Liberty, Israel committed acts of murder against U.S. servicemen and an act of war against the United States.
* The White House knowingly covered up the facts of this attack from the American people.

The truth continues to be concealed to the present day in what can only be termed a national disgrace. What was Israel's motive in launching this attack? Congress must address this question with full cooperation from the National Security Agency, the Central Intelligence Agency and the military intelligence services. The men of the USS Liberty represented the United States. They were attacked for two hours, causing 70 percent of American casualties, and the eventual loss of our best intelligence ship. These sailors and Marines were entitled to our best defense. We gave them no defense. TOP

Did our government put Israel's interests ahead of our own? If so, why? Does our government continue to subordinate American interests to Israeli interests? These are important questions that should be investigated by an independent, fully empowered commission of the American government. The American people deserve to know the truth about this attack. We must finally shed some light on one of the blackest pages in American naval history. It is a duty we owe not only to the brave men of the USS Liberty, but to every man and woman who is asked to wear the uniform of the United States.
jonnygothispen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Uncle Fester » Sun Dec 27, 2009 7:06 pm

jonnygothispen wrote:Here's a few things I found about Israel's attack on the USS Liberty...

On June 8, 1967...

Way to keep up with the times, Johnny.
Uncle Fester
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Sun Dec 27, 2009 8:05 pm

Reparations!
gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jonnygothispen » Sun Dec 27, 2009 10:46 pm

I think it's interesting that our support of the country whose crimes in the region were the primary motivation for the 9/11 attacks, also attacked us. Perhaps it's time to stop the welfare program to Israel that started us down the road to the war in Iraq. Because, boys, we're mired down there right now, today.
jonnygothispen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Uncle Fester » Mon Dec 28, 2009 12:38 am

Muhammad and his gang were threatening and murdering Jews (and others) back in the 620s. Rape, robbery, pillaging, and murder are Islamic traditions that predate the foundation of Israel.

The "primary motivation" with all the murder and mayhem is simply to remain true to their roots.
Uncle Fester
Forum God/Goddess

Next

Return to Headlines