MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Friday, December 26, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 33.0° F  Mostly Cloudy
Collapse Photo Bar

How do they stay in business?

Where are you eating and what do you think? What's opening, closing, succeeding, failing?

Sea Kittens - an exegesis

Postby Marvell » Fri Jan 23, 2009 5:12 pm

It's just that it works for me on so many levels:

1.) The Orwellian misuse of language level.

As I've already established, I've probably seen more fish up close and personal than the rest of Foronia combined. Take it from me - fish may be a lot of things, but one thing they aren't is cute.

They're cold-blooded. They're slimy. They don't call it 'giving me the fish-eye' for nothing - fish are frickin' creepy.

'Sea kittens' is pretty much the definition of an oxymoron - right up there with 'sensible PETA member.'

2.) The 'Just how fucking stupid do they think we are?' level.

Does anyone seriously argue with anything I said above? I didn't think so. So how come these PETAssholes think we're going to suddenly do a volt-face just because they have some reject from the Hello Kitty! factory draw a bunch of cute lil' kittens swimming adorably around in the briney depths? Do they think we're all a bunch of slack-jawed yokels?

Aparently they do.

3.) The ethical equivalency level.

What do you wanna bet that many of these same PETArds would chuckle contemptously at vacuous, mendacious and ham-fisted PR campaigns like 'snowflake babies' or 'We are all Joe the Plumber?' Earth to stupid people - it's stupid when right-wing people do it, and it's stupid when left-wing people do it. To steal a Clintonism: It's the stupid, stupid!

4.) The silly and puerile level.

Because I am deeply silly and puerile. Why fight it? It's who I am.
Marvell
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Sea Kittens - an exegesis

Postby juanton » Fri Jan 23, 2009 7:06 pm

Marvell wrote:It's just that it works for me on so many levels:

1.) The Orwellian misuse of language level.

As I've already established, I've probably seen more fish up close and personal than the rest of Foronia combined. Take it from me - fish may be a lot of things, but one thing they aren't is cute.

They're cold-blooded. They're slimy. They don't call it 'giving me the fish-eye' for nothing - fish are frickin' creepy.

'Sea kittens' is pretty much the definition of an oxymoron - right up there with 'sensible PETA member.'

2.) The 'Just how fucking stupid do they think we are?' level.

Does anyone seriously argue with anything I said above? I didn't think so. So how come these PETAssholes think we're going to suddenly do a volt-face just because they have some reject from the Hello Kitty! factory draw a bunch of cute lil' kittens swimming adorably around in the briney depths? Do they think we're all a bunch of slack-jawed yokels?

Aparently they do.

3.) The ethical equivalency level.

What do you wanna bet that many of these same PETArds would chuckle contemptously at vacuous, mendacious and ham-fisted PR campaigns like 'snowflake babies' or 'We are all Joe the Plumber?' Earth to stupid people - it's stupid when right-wing people do it, and it's stupid when left-wing people do it. To steal a Clintonism: It's the stupid, stupid!

4.) The silly and puerile level.

Because I am deeply silly and puerile. Why fight it? It's who I am.

It works for me. I'm addicted to silly. I gotta go, I need to piss out of my brain cock.
juanton
Forum God/Goddess

Re: How do they stay in business?

Postby msnflyer » Sun Feb 01, 2009 8:47 am

Prof. Wagstaff wrote:Right. That's why you shouldn't eat Oscar Meyer weiners (or their equivalents.)
But those craptubes have nothing to do with a good Kosher(-style) beef hot dog, like the kind you get in a true Chicago dog (which should always be Vienna brand.) Those are made from essentially the same cut of beef as brisket, and they're delicious.

Oscar Mayer makes Kosher hot dogs that are sold under another label. Sort of like craft brewed beer. Vienna Beef brand hot dogs are made with bull meat. While Kosher meats are generally regarded as "cleaner" than conventional meat the practices at the largest Kosher slaughterhouse in Postville, IA rival those of any IBP plant.
msnflyer
Forum Addict

Postby crevice beatle » Sat Mar 07, 2009 10:37 pm

Walked down Williamson Street today. Sign on front door of Bab's French Quarter Kitchen reads "Sorry, Bab's has gone out of business".

Hopefully she can find success elsewhere. I am curious to see who/what takes the soon to be empty space. I'm also eager and hopeful for the upcoming opening of the latest New Orlean's themed restaurant on Butler Street this March.
crevice beatle
Forum Addict

Postby white_rabbit » Sat Mar 07, 2009 10:47 pm

crevice beatle wrote: I'm also eager and hopeful for the upcoming opening of the latest New Orlean's themed restaurant on Butler Street this March.

The old Ken's Bar. That place has been "under construction" for at least five years.
white_rabbit
Forum God/Goddess

Postby crevice beatle » Sun Mar 08, 2009 6:51 pm

white_rabbit wrote:
crevice beatle wrote: I'm also eager and hopeful for the upcoming opening of the latest New Orlean's themed restaurant on Butler Street this March.

The old Ken's Bar. That place has been "under construction" for at least five years.

Right. This adds to my anticipation. I was a Ken's Wednesday night regular for a good 4 years. I'm really hoping the new restaurant occupying the space is worthwhile. The State Journal just had an article on it a week ago. Place looks like fun, though a bit ambitious - check out all 17 pics. Here's to hoping they give the same attention to food and service as they have with their decor.

http://77square.com/food/features/story_441180
crevice beatle
Forum Addict

Postby Violet_Skye » Sun Mar 08, 2009 11:01 pm

I think we've found our new Ella's Deli, for grownups. :-)
Violet_Skye
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Renee Gabel » Sun Mar 22, 2009 1:22 pm

Looks like the Dawg House on State Street bit the dust as well. I guess this is just a no-dog kind of town.

The guy who ran it was pretty cool. I was hoping that place would stick around.
Renee Gabel
Forum Addict

Postby workboy7 » Thu Mar 26, 2009 8:31 am

The Dawg House on State was open last night. New management, or a mistake?
workboy7
Forum Addict

Postby Ashley » Thu Apr 23, 2009 1:50 pm

Vietane Palace on park st. Always empty. How the hell did they get the cash to open a new location on regent?
Ashley
Forum Addict

Previous

Return to Restaurant News & Reviews