MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Wednesday, August 20, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 76.0° F  Mostly Cloudy
Collapse Photo Bar

Resident Evil 5

Wiis, PlayStations, iPads, blogging platforms, Facebook and anything else worthy of buzz in the digital world.

Resident Evil 5

Postby MadMind » Thu Jan 15, 2009 4:08 am

I'm going to go ahead and pre-emptively start this thread.

Resident Evil 5
Release Date: March 13, 2009

Official Website
Resident Evil Fan

I've been with the series from the start. Like I said before I own and have played through RE 0-4 (+Code Veronica). Only games I don't own/haven't played are the gun games (Survivor PSOne, Dead Aim PS2, Umbrella Chronicles Wii) and RE Outbreak I & II.

People forget about Code Veronica and that it was one of the Dreamcasts great exclusives (it wasn't ported to the PS2 for another year and half).
Personally I think they should have given Code Veronica the official "3" numerical value and RE 3 something else, as RE 3 was more of a side-story than Code Veronica was. RE 3 took place during the events of RE 2 and featured some of the same environments.

I just popped the Gamecube RE (remake), RE 0, and RE 4 into my Wii to clear out some memory blocks on my GC memory card and ended up revisiting those games longer than I had planned. I really liked the Gamecube RE remake, and kinda wish that Capcom would've given RE2 and RE3 the same treatment.

As for RE4, I don't know how anyone couldn't get into that game. It was terrific and having 3 entirely seperate environments made it almost feel like 3 different games rolled into one lengthy adventure.

It will be cool to play as Chris Redfield again, as he hasn't been the main playable character since the very first game, and as a secondary playable character 3/4's of the way through Code Veronica.

I do wonder how Resident Evil 5 will stack up in the creep factor though. One thing about all the other RE games is that the environments alone were always traditionally & stereotypically creepy.

While I'm sure we're probably get our share of lab/factory/underground settings somewhere in RE5, it's the main village setting which raises doubts. I'm not saying a remote african village full of killer 'not zombies' can't be unsettling in it's own way, but it's out in the open and mostly from what I've seen takes place during sunlight hours. It seems more of a setting for a Tom Clancy game than your traditional Resident Evil fare.
I guess you gotta give props to Capcom for not rehashing the same environs for the umpteenth time though.
Last edited by MadMind on Sun Jan 25, 2009 6:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MadMind
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Resident Evil 5

Postby MadMind » Thu Jan 22, 2009 11:11 am

For anyone who wants to review, it looks like an insane amount of work went into this thesis.
MadMind
Forum God/Goddess

Postby uwstudent » Thu Jan 22, 2009 3:13 pm

Looking forward to it.
uwstudent
Forum Addict

Postby MadMind » Sun Jan 25, 2009 6:07 pm

Resident Evil 5 playable demo exclusively on Xbox Live debuts January 26th (tomorrow)!
Although if you have a free silver membership (like me), you'll probably have to wait a week.
MadMind
Forum God/Goddess

Postby uwstudent » Tue Mar 17, 2009 2:06 pm

Anybody play it? Thoughts? Verdicts?
uwstudent
Forum Addict

Postby fisticuffs » Tue Mar 17, 2009 2:08 pm

I want to know why they don't update the controls on this series to something a little freer than this whole stop and shoot stop and reload system. Are they just trying to stay true to the original? The control scheme is NOT a good thing. Let it go.
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jammybastard » Wed Mar 18, 2009 7:44 am

my biggest complaint with RE5... having 10 zombies rushing you (and shooting!) while you have to STOP, AIM and SHOOT. it only gives them more time to catch you. the inventory system also seems broken to me; once again, youre running away from someone hoping to get enough distance between you so you STOP, OPEN YOUR INVENTORY, and equip the right weapon.

Looks great, plays like crap.
Avoid.
jammybastard
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Beer Moon » Mon Mar 23, 2009 7:38 am

Inventory management is certainly a massive pain. I do like some of the partner events. The graphics are stunning to say the least.

Camera control can be frustrating at times, but not nearly so bad as it used to be for these games. They used to change the direction your controller would move you each time you came to a corner and the camera angle would snap to the next hallway. One second pushing up would move you up the screen, the next the camera would snap to the side and suddenly pushing up - which was previously walking you in one direction, would be walking you in the OPPOSITE direction. Then you'd have to fight with it to get around the corner. It was such a horrific technique, it kept me from buying any of the games in the past.

So far I like it, but I doubt I will be clamoring to play it over again after the first run through. The little starter's guide that came with it seems to think everyone will do that to have access to the big guns and cash on the second playthrough. So essentially they torture you with lack of firepower and ammo for one playthrough, and then you have to artificially carry over weapons from a previous game to make the next game fun. I don't agree with that philosophy.

Having to stop moving to aim is definitely infuriating. Realistically, what kind of soldier can't aim and move to take cover at the same time?

I'll finish it, but this game will be high on the list for swaps or trade-ins, if I ever get the itch.
Beer Moon
Forum God/Goddess

Return to Technology & Video Games