MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Wednesday, October 1, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 69.0° F  Overcast
Collapse Photo Bar

Badger hockey fans: Get a load o' the Beavers!

Badgers, Packers, Mallards. Paddling, running, golfing. And bikes!

Badger hockey fans: Get a load o' the Beavers!

Postby jjoyce » Mon Mar 30, 2009 1:13 pm

I love how the well-funded, big arena havin', to the NHL leavin' Badgers can't make the NCAA's field of 16, but the Bemidji State Beavers are all the way into the Final Four:

http://slapshot.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/ ... ur-stands/

This has got to give UW-Stevens Point some ideas about joining Div. I. Also this: Miami of Ohio managed to beat Denver, which only outscored the Badgers 88-0 this season.

Seriously, for as much guff as fans give Bielema, why no vitriol for Mike Eaves? Or am I not paying attention to the right message boards?
jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Badger hockey fans: Get a load o' the Beavers!

Postby fisticuffs » Mon Mar 30, 2009 1:16 pm

First I think you're just on the wrong board. Second I believe it's "Frozen Four". Third I thought the Badgers were good. I don't follow hockey. Is Eaves the same coach that won it all a few years back?
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jjoyce » Mon Mar 30, 2009 1:26 pm

Y'mean the year they were able to play all of their tournament games within a bus ride of the Kollege Klub? Yes, they won it all that year.

Since then? Not really.
jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Mon Mar 30, 2009 1:33 pm

Well it's hard not to root for Bemidji State at this point. Who doesn't like a Cinderella story? They are the first 16 seed to get to the Frozen Four. At least that's what the Beaver Biased Media would have me believe. I will defer to your expertise and I am now calling for Mr. Eaves head. Or maybe a Death Race of some sort between him and Bulimia.
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby O.J. » Mon Mar 30, 2009 1:35 pm

Doesn't the women's hockey team have a pretty successful program, Jason?
O.J.
Forum God/Goddess

Postby nevermore » Mon Mar 30, 2009 1:41 pm

The Badgers didn't make the field of 16 due to a bad start of the season + the propeller heads doing Pairwise are ruining college hockey (though not as much as the NHL) like the BCS dorks are ruining college football. Seriously, if Bmidj played in a real hockey conference and not the CHA (BTW, they're applying to join the WCHA), they wouldn't even have been in the tournament at all. They only got in because of the automatic bid (which squeezed out the Badgers - who were a few 10,000ths of a point in Pairwise short of Ohio State) while the Badgers (who were 3rd in the WCHA and got 3rd in the tournament and had the #1 ranked toughest schedule in the nation) got squeezed. So, don't put that on Eaves (who does get it from a few other boards as well as my in-laws).

Now, that said...How interesting is it that two 4-seeds are going to the Frozen Four? In 2006, we had the first 4-upseting-1 (Holy Cross over the Evil Empire in overtime - aka THE BEST GAME EVER). This year, it happened three times.
nevermore
Forum God/Goddess

Postby nevermore » Mon Mar 30, 2009 1:44 pm

jjoyce wrote:Y'mean the year they were able to play all of their tournament games within a bus ride of the Kollege Klub? Yes, they won it all that year.

Since then? Not really.

Using that logic, we can discount just about every championship won by the Evil Empire (aka University of Minnesota hockey) as all the WCHA finals are held at the Excel Center and a regional every other year is either in the Twin Cities or Grand Forks.
nevermore
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jjoyce » Mon Mar 30, 2009 2:16 pm

1) Grand Forks is neither near the Twin Cities nor friendly to Gophers or their fans. In most respects, it's more hostile than Madison, which has traditionally made for a fun little weekend trip for Gopher fans.

2) The Badgers maybe played a tough schedule this year, but you kinda have to beat the scrub teams on the schedule for those tough losses to B.C. and New Hampshire to mean anything. In other words, getting swept at home by Northern Michigan and going 0-5 vs. Denver isn't great for the post-season resume, Pairwise or no.

3) Bemidji has more than stated its case for tournament inclusion at this point, regardless of conference. All the Beavers did is beat all comers, including Notre Dame which spent most of the season ranked #1. But it's Miami's win over Denver that should really be embarrassing to Wisconsin Hockey, Inc.

4) How would Wisconsin do head-to-head with Bemidji? Impossible to say, as the Badgers won't play the Beavers unless/until the latter is allowed to join the prestigious WCHA. But the Badgers have had their issues over the years with the mighty Mavericks of Mankato, I mean Minnesota State (not to mention your Northern Michigans), so I wouldn't ink in four wins each year, either.

5) Underachieving is to Badger hockey what autumn golf is to the Cubs; it's kinda their thing. Sure, there's a national championship banner up there in the Eaves era. But with all the former players currently on NHL rosters, there should be more than that. At least one more, for sure.

If Bo Ryan started hearing it for his system during a down season (and he did), where's the criticism for Eaves after a third straight lackluster finish?
jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Postby O.J. » Mon Mar 30, 2009 2:24 pm

jjoyce wrote:
If Bo Ryan started hearing it for his system during a down season (and he did), where's the criticism for Eaves after a third straight lackluster finish?

The main reason you hear more criticism of Bo than Eaves is simply the fact that basketball is much more popular. You're also comparing apples to oranges, to a degree; Bo Ryan has had to deal with all of 1 player leaving early for the professional ranks.
O.J.
Forum God/Goddess

Postby nevermore » Mon Mar 30, 2009 2:37 pm

jjoyce wrote:1) Grand Forks is neither near the Twin Cities nor friendly to Gophers or their fans. In most respects, it's more hostile than Madison, which has traditionally made for a fun little weekend trip for Gopher fans.

2) The Badgers maybe played a tough schedule this year, but you kinda have to beat the scrub teams on the schedule for those tough losses to B.C. and New Hampshire to mean anything. In other words, getting swept at home by Northern Michigan and going 0-5 vs. Denver isn't great for the post-season resume, Pairwise or no.

3) Bemidji has more than stated its case for tournament inclusion at this point, regardless of conference. All the Beavers did is beat all comers, including Notre Dame which spent most of the season ranked #1. But it's Miami's win over Denver that should really be embarrassing to Wisconsin Hockey, Inc.

4) How would Wisconsin do head-to-head with Bemidji? Impossible to say, as the Badgers won't play the Beavers unless/until the latter is allowed to join the prestigious WCHA. But the Badgers have had their issues over the years with the mighty Mavericks of Mankato, I mean Minnesota State (not to mention your Northern Michigans), so I wouldn't ink in four wins each year, either.

5) Underachieving is to Badger hockey what autumn golf is to the Cubs; it's kinda their thing. Sure, there's a national championship banner up there in the Eaves era. But with all the former players currently on NHL rosters, there should be more than that. At least one more, for sure.

1) Fine, scratch Grand Forks. There's still a lot of post-season hockey played in the Twin Cities.

2) Denver's a scrub team? You do know they were a #1 seed this year and won NCAA titles in 04 and 05, right? They also won their season series against NoDak (3-2) and UMD (2-1-1) - the two other WCHA tourney teams. But I guess that doesn't count.

3)You CAN NOT BE SERIOUS. Here's Bemidji State's schedule. 18-15-1 after playing Alabama-Huntsville SEVEN times, Robert Morris SEVEN times, and Niagra SIX times and a 2-6 against the WCHA (the two wins came at the expense of Michigan Tech fer chrissake!).

5) Haha, a Cub blast. Yawn.

And I guess making a regional final last year is what counts in Jason's book as a "lackluster finish".
nevermore
Forum God/Goddess

Postby nevermore » Wed Mar 10, 2010 2:38 pm

I wanted to revive this thread to point out that jjoyce may get his wish of seeing the Badgers v. Bemidji State. The bracketologists at USCO.COM have the Badgers (#3 in the nation, according to the Pairwise dorks) as a 1-seed to the Beavers' (#5) 2-seed in the East Regional - assuming nothing too weird happens during the conference championships over the next couple weekends.

http://www.uscho.com/news/college-hocke ... 92010.html

Unlike last year, BSU has earned a trip to the tournament by taking all comers in the utterly brutal CHA - where they compiled a 14-3-1 record compared to the rest of the conference's combined 18-29-7 (the rest of the conference being Niagra, Robert Morris and Alabama-Huntsville) and got some quality non-conference wins against probable tournament-bound Northern Michigan and Miami and a sweep of Minnesota-Duluth.

Speaking of which, the Bulldogs are hoping two things happen: 1) They knock off CC this weekend to make it to the Excel Center and 2) One of those other CHA stiffs doesn't get lucky and win the conference tournament. That would give them the auto-bid and deny UMD a slot in the NCAA.
nevermore
Forum God/Goddess

Return to Sports, Recreation & Biking