MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Thursday, July 31, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 62.0° F  Fair
Collapse Photo Bar

Best? Worst?

Comment on the Isthmus movie reviews, write one yourself, discuss upcoming flicks, recent DVDs, and other realms in the world of cinema.

Best? Worst?

Postby jjoyce » Mon Apr 06, 2009 1:39 pm

I did not bathe in the fest this year, seeing only four films compared to many, many more in previous years.

Best was "Football Under Cover," if only for the courage of the filmmakers who traveled to Iran.

That beat out "Sparrow," "Harvard Beats Yale 29-29," and "Paper or Plastic?" all of which were very enjoyable, so I'm opting not to designate a worst this time around.
jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Best? Worst?

Postby donges » Mon Apr 06, 2009 2:00 pm

Worst: Jim's Experimental Shorts. I realize that it is not a single pick but since the entire collection shared the common state of horrible I feel comfortable lumping them all in as worst. My two companions were nauseous afterwards and I feared that at least one member of the audience would suffer seizures. Torturous? Maybe. Unwatchable? Absolutely. Experimental? Not so much.

Best: Anvil! The Story of Anvil. Absolutely delightful. I can't wait for the DVD to be released this summer to be able to see it again (and again).
donges
Forum God/Goddess

Postby chriss » Mon Apr 06, 2009 2:29 pm

JCVD was my favorite out of the four I saw. Great cinematography, and who knew Van Damme is a surprisingly good actor?
chriss

Postby Galoot » Mon Apr 06, 2009 4:25 pm

I just saw one film, "Fear Me Not", and I walked out about halfway through. I really hate films with a lot of violence and psychological tension in them.

I saw at least 4 other people walk out before the end of the film. My sister stayed to the end, and she said it got a bit better. I talked to one of the people who walked out shortly before the end, and she said I picked the perfect time to walk out--the film really went downhill after that point.
Galoot
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Athena » Mon Apr 06, 2009 5:04 pm

The best film I saw was Sita Sings the Blues. It is an animated film that incorporates the author's life and a classic Indian tale. The combination is done very well with several different animation styles, funny dialog, and great jazz music. I had been anticipating seeing it for about a year now and it was just as good as I had hoped. You can download it from their website if you missed it.

I saw 10 other films, but didn't have a bad one in the bunch this year. I gave a five to Sita, Mermaid, Harvard Beats Yale, and Revanche. All the others got fours.
Athena
Forum Addict

Postby mrak » Mon Apr 06, 2009 8:33 pm

"Sita" was really good. I didn't mind that the animation looked "digital" (i.e., like it was done in Flash or something) because the film was so visually inventive. The music was terrific.

I went heavy on arts/crafts documentaries this year: "Handmade Nation" and docus on Milton Glaser and Chuck Close. I especially enjoyed the latter, as it was loaded with interviews not just with Close, but with other artists (most, if not all of whom had posed for his enormous portraits) remniscing about the NYC arts scene back in the late 60s/early 70s.

Like chriss, I enjoyed "JCVD" a lot. The guy is a good actor, and carried the film without even really busting out the whoop-ass. (OK, a little, at the end.)

"Winter of Frozen Dreams" is the only one that stands out for being not at all good. Major disappointment. There's definitely a good film to be made about the Barbara Hoffman case. This didn't come close to being that film. It would need improvement to become Lifetime Movie-of-the-Week material.
mrak
Forum God/Goddess

Postby kiwiwannabe » Tue Apr 07, 2009 2:06 pm

Winter of Frozen Dreams WAS already on Lifetime Movie Channel, last Friday night, according to Doug Moe, by the way.

I saw 7 this year, including counting 7 animated shorts as 1.

My fave was 32-A, simply because my favorite movies involve slice-of-life stories that are out of my realm of experience.

I also enjoyed Chuck Close and Milton Glaser, since I was living in New York when they were both getting started. A great time to be there........

Between the Folds was fascinating, the vortex between art, science and math. Who knew that it even existed? A home-schooled genius at MIT, son of a sculptor, that loves origami was the highlight for me.

Tulpan was interesting, as was Bunnyland.

I loved some of the shorts, but the rest were dogs, per usual. I think cut-paper stop-action animation is not for me. I just get nauseous after a while. I love South Park, though, so go figure?
kiwiwannabe
Forum Addict

Postby xolotl » Wed Apr 08, 2009 9:36 am

I saw lots of great stuff this year. Picking a clear winner would be difficult. Two of the ones I saw on Sunday do stand out for me, though: Mermaid and Wings of Defeat... Wings especially was far more affecting than I had expected it to be. Mermaid completely took me out of reality; I totally lost track of where I had parked, afterwards, and then completely failed to run any of my errands on the way back home. A very hypnotic experience, all in all. JCVD was highly enjoyable too.

The one that was most disappointing to me was Idiots and Angels - I've always liked Plympton's animation, but it's becoming increasingly obvious to me that I typically don't like his characters or his plotlines. There were some nicely surreal bits in there which I enjoyed, and the soundtrack was very nice, but all in all I'd rather have been seeing something else.
xolotl

Return to Movies