MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters 
Thursday, July 24, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 58.0° F  Fair
Collapse Photo Bar

RESTAURANT XO2: Are There Gay People That Far West?

Bars, wine, beer, cocktails, drunken escapades

Re: RESTAURANT XO2: Are There Gay People That Far West?

Postby AaronTheSnob » Fri Dec 05, 2008 2:50 pm

Marvell wrote:
dudemeister wrote: Anyone know whether it's the leather dungeon variety or hip/inclusive variety of gay establishment? Not being gay, the latter would be a possible destination for me; the former, probably not.

And besides, the former really belongs in the Monroe-Dungeon neighborhood.

Well, I AM gay, and the former would not be a possible destination for me either.
AaronTheSnob
Forum God/Goddess

Postby misterlinguistr » Sat Dec 06, 2008 4:10 pm

*sigh* I'm so post-gay bar. Plan B was such a dreadful idea from Moment One. I mean, hello Club Majestic? Stinky lame venue #1 meet proposed stinky lame venue #2. And Woof's? I hardly knew ye. It's hard to like you New Gay Place when you give me such dumb seating options. No, I do not want to stand. I did that all day. I want to sit.
Let's face it: We're over ourselves. Gone are the days that you could put on your leather vest sans shirt and confidently strut out for the night. Nowadays you're either admittedly in costume or in 2 or 3 other cities. Not downtown Madison. So, Woof's, how about "jeans and t-shirts" night? Refreshingly simple.
And when it comes to putting something into Star Photo, well, be careful. It's going to have to have very pleasant Average Guy appeal--ain't nothin' wrong with that--like the Weary or the new Union House, to be accepted. (And by "accepted" I mean cha-ching) Some semi-bathhouse or tweenadise is just going to be corny. For more on corny see earlier references to Club Majestic.
And Club 5? Puh-leaze, that tightwad wasn't getting any a my money ever. It's all about the Shammy. When they're open.
misterlinguistr

Postby blunt » Fri Dec 12, 2008 11:37 am

I think I saw a gay guy at greenway Station over the weekend.
Or maybe he was just foreign.
But I agree with you, mling-mling.
I'm gay wherever I am.
blunt
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Kenneth Burns » Fri Dec 12, 2008 11:52 am

Setting aside the ongoing hand-wringing about this town's apparent shortage of gay bars, I'm curious to know: What's a gay bar for? Is it for hooking up? My sources tell me this is done much more efficiently on the web these days. Is it a place where gays can go have a drink and feel comfortable being themselves? I can understand why that would be good in, say, Birmingham, Ala., but seems like in Madison there are any number of joints that aren't gay bars but where queer folk can be perfectly comfortable. Is it a place to strengthen LGBT community? Is a bar the best place to do that?

When I first came out I gravitated to the Rainbow Room and had many amusing experiences there, and some disappointing ones. (Oy with the groping.) It was in roughly that period that I became friendly Shamrock acquaintances with the maitre d' at the Avenue Bar, and as a result I got seated right away at Friday fish frys. That was a tangible benefit. But am I truly better off today as a result of my gay bargoing phase? I'm not sure.
Kenneth Burns
Forum God/Goddess

Postby blunt » Fri Dec 12, 2008 12:07 pm

A gay guy that likes fish? Hm.
Naw: I say all experience is useful, even as, you know, fertilizer.
Without my gaybaristory, I would not have images of shirtless lesbians eating fire; turkey basters, jock straps, and a chainlink fence; or a drag queen dressed as nun knocking himself out on a rafter dancing on the bar.
The comfort level is important. In a gaybar you don't have to make sure no one's looking if you want to be demonstrative.
But gaybars do have a tendency to breed certain types of gregarious gropers.
But PD's anywhere can be obnoxious.
blunt
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Kenneth Burns » Fri Dec 12, 2008 12:20 pm

blunt wrote:The comfort level is important. In a gaybar you don't have to make sure no one's looking if you want to be demonstrative.

You're right about that. Okay, carry on.
Kenneth Burns
Forum God/Goddess

Postby white_rabbit » Fri Dec 12, 2008 1:22 pm

When I go out I usually go to a gay bar because I like to be around other gay people to socialize. About the only non-gay bar I go to on a semi-regular basis is Genna's, and that place is usually 1/3 to 1/2 gay all the time anyway.
white_rabbit
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Kenneth Burns » Fri Dec 12, 2008 1:26 pm

See, that's what I'm saying. I'm not sure the distinction is as meaningful here as it is in Alabama.
Kenneth Burns
Forum God/Goddess

Postby supaunknown » Fri Dec 12, 2008 2:37 pm

Kenneth Burns wrote:I'm curious to know: What's a gay bar for? Is it a place to strengthen LGBT community? Is a bar the best place to do that?

Nah, the gym is probably better.

Kenneth Burns wrote:When I first came out I gravitated to the Rainbow Room and had many amusing experiences there, and some disappointing ones. (Oy with the groping.)

blunt wrote:But gaybars do have a tendency to breed certain types of gregarious gropers.

When the 'Toons played a Halloween at the Slipper Club I was hideously dressed in a skintight Captain America outfit and got groped by a couple dudes dressed as the Japanese actors from MXC. Cool outfits, but the guys were jerks. Wasn't sure what their motivations were, but I wasn't having it. I got sorta mad, mainly cuz they were being pushy assholes, but I checked my cool and didn't smack 'em. After all, I didn't want to be this guy.
supaunknown
Forum God/Goddess

Postby m0rrigan » Thu Dec 18, 2008 12:36 pm

supaunknown wrote:When the 'Toons played a Halloween at the Slipper Club I was hideously dressed in a skintight Captain America outfit and got groped by a couple dudes dressed as the Japanese actors from MXC.

That's just your own fault for being so damn sexy.

Seriously, though, I get super annoyed by anyone who feels the need to get grope-tastic with people (unless there's an established grope-allowance with that person, of course). That happens in both gay and straight bars, though, and is more the result of general douchebaggery than sexual orientation.

I get Ken's questions, and they're worth serious consideration. But I also get what dearest blunt had to say about a place where people can feel free and safe to be "demonstrative" (and watch shirtless lesbians breathe fire!). I think it's worthwhile to have specific, LGBT friendly places to go and hang with friends, get your dance on, or whatever. I wouldn't ever want them to become totally separate, ghettoized places, but they don't have to be to still serve an essential function for the community.

Also, re: Plan B. There was apparently a community meeting this Monday on the proposed new location in the old Star Photo building on Willy St. I have no idea what came of that, but they do seem to be making a good-faith effort to work with the neighborhood to make it happen.
m0rrigan
Forum Addict

Postby blunt » Fri Dec 19, 2008 1:25 pm

Yeah, but the hood seems to be balking.
Weird, cuz Willy (heh heh) Street has always flown the highly diverse freak flag high. The old Star Photo locatio seems like a much more interesting spot (for me personally and geographically) than a westside cornfield.
blunt
Forum God/Goddess

Postby pulseCzar » Sat Apr 18, 2009 9:33 pm

So whatever happened with this place?
pulseCzar
Forum God/Goddess

Postby white_rabbit » Sun Apr 19, 2009 7:33 am

pulseCzar wrote:So whatever happened with this place?

There is an ad in this month's edition of Quest magazine announcing the grand opening for May 1st.
white_rabbit
Forum God/Goddess

Postby pulseCzar » Sun Apr 19, 2009 8:42 am

white_rabbit wrote:
pulseCzar wrote:So whatever happened with this place?

There is an ad in this month's edition of Quest magazine announcing the grand opening for May 1st.

Great news! Thanks!
pulseCzar
Forum God/Goddess

Postby white_rabbit » Sun Apr 19, 2009 9:11 am

From the ad, I guess they settled on the name "Out" for the club.
white_rabbit
Forum God/Goddess

PreviousNext

Return to Beer, wine & cocktails