MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Thursday, August 21, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 74.0° F  Mostly Cloudy
Collapse Photo Bar

New Restaurant Muramoto

Where are you eating and what do you think? What's opening, closing, succeeding, failing?

Re: New Restaurant Muramoto

Postby Ashley » Mon Jan 12, 2009 10:41 pm

Completely random..but you must try the restrooms at Muramoto. Rather than paper towel they have these disposable towels that look and feel like linens but they are disposable!
Ashley
Forum Addict

Postby boston_jeff » Mon Jan 12, 2009 10:53 pm

And the fixtures are beautiful. Always the sign of a good place when the restrooms are immaculate.
boston_jeff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby kulgar » Sat Jan 17, 2009 6:48 pm

The jury is back on the duck, either they resourced the product or figured out how to cook the new species or whatever caused the change. It's simply incredible again.

A few years ago the consistency of the rice was off and when I asked they told me that they had changed years and this current vintage cooked differently than the previous year. I thought you threw the stuff in boiling water but apparently there's more art than science in consistently producing this many outstanding offerings day after day. They corrected the rice in short order.

Along that line, the menu changed a few weeks ago and there are probably a dozen new items to sample that look delicious. I was in a rush and ordered before checking it out. The point is that like all great restaurants, the chefs (Shinji gets help from the other guys) are continually experimenting and producing incredible cuisine right here in Madtown.

I really like that they are open all day, nothing worse than not having much more than a burger option in Madison at 3PM. And if you know what you want, order immediately and wave your hand in that signing motion in advance, you can be in and out in not much more than 30 minutes even while lingering over your duck roll. Best fast food in Madison!

No, I don't own stock in, or am an owner of, Restaurant Muramoto.
kulgar
Forum Addict

Postby jolly rancher » Thu Jan 29, 2009 4:13 pm

I kind of go on Muramoto lunch special binges. Haven't been in a while now, but when I do go, I am always torn between their lunch specials with my favorite being the shrimp stir-fry type one. The salad you get with the entrees is always amazing and I like the consistency of their rice. Always a tasty treat. The trick is to go when it is slow like a Tuesday for lunch, then the servers are (naturally) attentive.
jolly rancher

Postby tillybob » Fri Feb 20, 2009 10:29 am

I have never been to any of these restaurants and I'm very excited to give them a try. But I need advice. Should I go to Muramoto or does the Kushi Bar have as much, enough, as good of food? Is Kushi cheaper and more casual?

Thoughts?
tillybob

Postby kitten » Fri Feb 20, 2009 10:45 am

If you go to Kushi, you have to try this new drink they have there. It's blueberry kombucha and some kind of shochu (kinda like vodka), it tastes awesome! I'm a total lightweight, but I had three of them the other night and didn't even have a tinge of a hangover the next day!
kitten

Postby TheBookPolice » Fri Feb 20, 2009 10:49 am

Kushi Bar is Japanese bar food. Cheap, often fried, good for staving off drunkenness. Restaurant Muramoto is a restaurant: intelligent menu, classy atmosphere.

Menus can be seen at www.muramoto.biz
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby boston_jeff » Fri Feb 20, 2009 11:05 am

I would recommend the restaurant if you want the full menu range and the option to try their sushi. Its definitely my favorite all around dining experience in Madison. That said, my wife just had her book club at Kushi and raved about it. I can't wait to try it.
boston_jeff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TAsunder » Fri Feb 20, 2009 11:23 am

Another recommendation to go to Restaurant Muramoto. It's the best of the three restaurants by far.
TAsunder
Forum God/Goddess

Postby kitten » Fri Feb 20, 2009 11:30 am

Yeah... Kushi's pretty much just for drinkin'
kitten

Postby Ashley » Mon Mar 23, 2009 3:22 pm

I too only recommend Kushi only if you want a drink and maybe a snack.
Ashley
Forum Addict

Mistake in the Dining Guide, L'Etoil/Muramoto

Postby kulgar » Mon Apr 20, 2009 2:04 pm

Shinji Muramoto denies ever working at L'Etoile, contrary to the information on page 16 of "Dining" published by Isthmus last week. Maybe Kyle meant Magnus where Shinji was a line chef six or so years ago.
kulgar
Forum Addict

Previous

Return to Restaurant News & Reviews