MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Friday, July 25, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 63.0° F  Overcast
Collapse Photo Bar

Midwest Gaming Classic - Anyone Goin'?

Wiis, PlayStations, iPads, blogging platforms, Facebook and anything else worthy of buzz in the digital world.

Postby MadMind » Tue Apr 01, 2008 4:07 pm

Shipley wrote:My Daily Page write up:
http://www.thedailypage.com/daily/artic ... icle=22131

and my video produced for Powet.TV:
http://powet.tv/2008/04/01/midwest-gaming-classic/

*applause* Nice! Even got an interview with the man of the hour.
I stopped in Saturday for a bit. Missed Walter's presentation but saw him hangin' around.
Sat through a presentation of the "glory days" of EGM by Terry the "Trickman" and the man who had the longest running tenure under the Sushi-X moniker. That was cool because EGM was like the bible back then (before the internet came along and made gaming magazines somewhat obsolete, and when reviews were honest and came from real gamers with real opinions).

Later on Walter had a table set up selling his books. A woman was having her book signed by Walter. In hindsight I kinda wished I would've got one, although $35 is a bit steep.

I didn't win the raffle damnit! I wanted that Wii. They called off 3 people that weren't there so they lost their chance!
MadMind
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Shipley » Wed Apr 02, 2008 9:49 am

I am still a subscriber to EGM and a religious follower of their online show "The 1UP Show"
I definitely feel they're one of, if not the, best game publications available. They pull no punches on reviews or previews, and its gotten them blacklisted from big publishers like Ubisoft.

It really was a great event, but hardly something that would be impossible to do anywhere else at another time. Wouldn't Madison be a great place for a convention this size in the fall? I'm dead serious here, I'm going to start making calls.
Shipley
Forum God/Goddess

Postby uwstudent » Wed Apr 02, 2008 1:39 pm

Odyssey Con is this weekend. http://www.oddcon.com/index.php
But it is mainly geared towards the general SF crowd and not focused on gaming.
As for the MWGC is think more speakers would have been in order, perhaps from developers or designers about the biz.
Last edited by uwstudent on Mon Apr 07, 2008 3:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
uwstudent
Forum Addict

Postby Shipley » Wed Apr 02, 2008 2:47 pm

I went to oddcon one year, thanks for the heads up. I'll try to check it out again.

Finding developers to talk would be a plus. I think any Madison event would be severly lacking if there weren't local developers there for a panel or at least a display booth/table.
Shipley
Forum God/Goddess

Postby MadMind » Fri Apr 04, 2008 10:32 am

Shipley wrote:I am still a subscriber to EGM and a religious follower of their online show "The 1UP Show"
I definitely feel they're one of, if not the, best game publications available. They pull no punches on reviews or previews, and its gotten them blacklisted from big publishers like Ubisoft.

I have almost every issue from '89 to the late nineties/2000's stored away. When did they get blacklisted from Ubisoft and what game review(s) got Ubisoft steamed?

Shipley wrote:It really was a great event, but hardly something that would be impossible to do anywhere else at another time. Wouldn't Madison be a great place for a convention this size in the fall? I'm dead serious here, I'm going to start making calls.

Go for it!
I agree. Actually I get bored really fast with it. If you've seen it once...
Less than impressed with the selection/pricing in the marketplace section of the show. But I suppose I should expect that from a collector's market, afterall it isn't a flea market.
I got a headache now both times I went - must be all the machines and sweaty unbathed geeks.
MadMind
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Shipley » Fri Apr 04, 2008 11:35 am

MadMind wrote: When did they get blacklisted from Ubisoft and what game review(s) got Ubisoft steamed?

Very recently. They trashed Assassin's Creed in a preview (which is unheard of in mags or sites, previews are always positive). Ubi invited them out for another preview, and they sent another guy out and he pointed out problems too. Then the review came out at an 8, and for them that was the last straw. Sony Sports and Midway's Mortal Kombat team also refuse to send them product. On the 1up show a couple weeks ago, they actually showed the 2 hosts going to a Best Buy to purchase a copies of Rainbow Six Vegas 2 since Ubi wouldn't send them a review copy.

MadMind wrote:Actually I get bored really fast with it. If you've seen it once...

well if I ran it I'd probably have less games on display and focus on newer stuff and multiplayer/tournaments. Organize Mario Kart, Halo, COD4, Street Fighter, etc events all day long. And of course a hearty helping of Rock Band in a karoke format on a small stage.

I've no interest in competing with MWGC, but a complimentary event that skews more modern would put asses in the seats here I think.

MadMind wrote:I got a headache now both times I went - must be all the machines and sweaty unbathed geeks.

I found the stench to be far less offensive than the Smash Bros event I wrote about a couple weeks ago, and no where near what I've encountered in Eau Claire at NoBrandCon or any of the Transformer cons I've been too.
Why these nerds don't use deodorant is beyond me. I've found the vast majority of women don't mind nerds these days thanks to Judd Apatow movies, but you still gotta smell good or you're going to remain a virgin for life.
Shipley
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Midwest Gaming Classic - Anyone Goin'?

Postby uwstudent » Thu Jan 22, 2009 3:18 pm

Updated: Happening in March 2009.
uwstudent
Forum Addict

Postby Shipley » Thu Jan 22, 2009 4:12 pm

I'll be there, this time with Sean Orange from Famicom Dojo / Rising Stuff vending all sorts of old japanese games and systems.
Shipley
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Shipley » Sat Mar 21, 2009 8:17 am

Guess what today is? I'll be around pretty much all day today and tomorrow, look for the Famicom Dojo table.

I'm going to try to play a lot of pinball, and enter in a Sonic The Hedgehog tournament.
Shipley
Forum God/Goddess

Postby MadMind » Tue Mar 24, 2009 5:31 pm

Shipley wrote:Guess what today is? I'll be around pretty much all day today and tomorrow, look for the Famicom Dojo table.

I'm going to try to play a lot of pinball, and enter in a Sonic The Hedgehog tournament.

So how was it? Anything interesting or out of the ordinary?
I sat this one out.
I suppose you're busy putting together another article with accompanying video?
MadMind
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Shipley » Tue Mar 24, 2009 8:20 pm

article no, video yes. i had some technical difficulties and I haven't imported my footage yet so I don't know how watchable it will be.

my weekend highlight was picking up a Sega Saturn and 5 games.
Shipley
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Shipley » Wed Apr 22, 2009 11:45 am

a double shot of Powet.TV and Famicom Dojo at the convention

http://powet.tv/wordpress/2009/04/22/po ... -mgc-2009/
Shipley
Forum God/Goddess

Postby uwstudent » Fri Apr 24, 2009 9:15 pm

Odd Con this weekend.
uwstudent
Forum Addict

Postby Shipley » Mon Apr 27, 2009 9:05 am

Odd Con is sci-fi fantasy. MGC is all video games. try to keep up.
Shipley
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Velvet Coffin » Mon Apr 27, 2009 10:05 am

Shipley wrote:Odd Con is sci-fi fantasy. MGC is all video games. try to keep up.

Holy condescension, Shitley. I'm a geek, so I'll save some tar on the brush for myself when I note that nerds looking down their noses at other nerds is inevitably hilarious.

OddCon had a LAN room, a tabletop game room, and plenty of gamers in attendance for like-mined conversation. No call to sneer at uwstudent for your lack of awareness of the city's geek culture events.
Velvet Coffin
Forum Addict

PreviousNext

Return to Technology & Video Games