MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Sunday, December 28, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 32.0° F  A Few Clouds
Collapse Photo Bar

FU GU: NO BLO

Where are you eating and what do you think? What's opening, closing, succeeding, failing?

FU GU: NO BLO

Postby blunt » Fri May 08, 2009 10:47 am

We ordered a great big plate of toxic blowfish.
"Yes," said our very polite and beautiful food ambassador, "we have no blowfish."
Waah.
But there were tanks of live creatures just waiting for us to point our fingers of death. "We're gonna need a smaller boat."
We just grabbed some honey-glazed shrimp condemned by someone else and hit the streets.
Everything appears scrumptious, which hopefully reflects the 12 to 18 bucks per dish.
Today was just a quick walk-in try-by.
We'll be back.
blunt
Forum God/Goddess

Re: FU GU: NO BLO

Postby Marvell » Fri May 08, 2009 11:38 am

Is blunt channeling Louis MacNeice now?

From Bagpipe Music:

It's no blo the Yogi-Man, it's no blo Blavatsky,
All we want is a bank balance and a bit of skirt in a taxi.
Marvell
Forum God/Goddess

Postby blunt » Fri May 08, 2009 12:06 pm

They have no blowfish,.
The food doesn't blow.
Plus no-blo yogis and H.P. Blo-vatsky? Sweet synchronicity!
Multiple tiers of meaning just like Vulcan chess!
blunt
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TAsunder » Fri May 08, 2009 12:24 pm

No surprise they have no actual fugu, as only a few select places in the US do. It is not widely available here and only under very strict regulations similar to those in Japan. In Japan you can get the stuff at grocery stores.
TAsunder
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Fri May 08, 2009 2:17 pm

Clearly the multiple sources in other threads stating that they do NOT have fugu were not enough to blunt blunt's quest for answers straight from the porpoise's blowhole.
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby blunt » Wed May 13, 2009 4:05 pm

Perhaps there is no fugu but I do appear to be swimming with the snarks.

If we are done fixating on my woefully inadequate awareness of non-Eats threads that may or may not inexplicably mention the lack of blowfish at Fugu, let's get back to discovering how aquirable the taste of Fugu may be.
blunt
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Wed May 13, 2009 4:23 pm

As easy as a one-way ticket to Osaka. And I saw your first attempt at this post. Don't think I didn't.
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby NullDevice » Thu May 14, 2009 10:52 am

I tried Fugu a week ago.

It was good. Needs improvement, but it has potential.

The "asian fusion" aspect of it isn't so much "fusion" as it is "hey, look, we also serve thai food. And some tempura! And we have a sichuan menu!"

I'm a big fan of sichuan food, and that menu was heartening. What was a bit disheartening was the lack of sichuan pepper in the dishes I expected to have it (like the sichuan dried beef appetizer. It was still good, but was lacking that citursy numbing flavor that helps define it). My "boiled chicken in sauce" was delicious, although a bit excessively oily even for a normally very oily dish. My ladyfriend had the orange beef, which was tasty but the beef pieces were enormous and difficult for even a skilled chopsticker. A friend of mine ordered the sweet-and-sour crispy fish and got the sliced fish in garlic sauce, but thankfully he liked that even more.

Service was slow, but they were really busy that night too.

So in short, I think their kitchen needs to stabilize a bit. They haven't quite found their groove. The sichuan dishes seem to hold the most potential, and also seem to be what about 80% of the patrons were ordering. Hopefully their enormous menus will not work to their detriment, as many often do.
NullDevice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Kovalic » Tue Jun 09, 2009 9:24 pm

NullDevice wrote:What was a bit disheartening was the lack of sichuan pepper in the dishes I expected to have it (like the sichuan dried beef appetizer. It was still good, but was lacking that citursy numbing flavor that helps define it).

That *is* disappointing. I loved that dish at China Palace.

Salivating just thinking of those peppers...gaaaaaaaah...
Kovalic

FU GU: NO Dim Sum Either (at least not much)

Postby FlyOver Gallery » Thu Jun 11, 2009 7:19 am

I went, with my daughter, for Dim Sum on Sunday, and was extremely disappointed. After waiting 10 minutes, we were presented with a cart holding about 6 items. We took the Lotus wrapped rice and some steamed buns. After no more carts came, we asked the hostess (as the waiter disappeared) and she told us that we had seen all there was to see of the Dim Sum selection.

We indicated that we were still pretty hungry - but we were never offered a menu, just given a bill for $4.
I know it's summer and they have some construction issues out front, but to only offer such a limited Dim Sum menu at noon on a Sunday is pretty pathetic. Actually, we were the only customers there, and the staff was watching a "Poison" concert on the TV by the cash register: that's how empty the place was.

We went to Yen Ching and finished our meal there.
FlyOver Gallery

Return to Restaurant News & Reviews