MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters 
Wednesday, July 23, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 66.0° F  Fair
Collapse Photo Bar

Coffee, what are you drinking?

Bars, wine, beer, cocktails, drunken escapades

Re: Coffee, what are you drinking?

Postby towanda » Thu May 14, 2009 12:04 am

LLUrbanUnderachiever wrote:Just another reason to grind your own beans.

This week I'm drinking Trader Joe's Organic 5 Country Espresso Blend. Tasty stuff.

Grinding one's own beans is not always practical.
towanda
Forum Addict

Postby LLUrbanUnderachiever » Thu May 14, 2009 12:27 am

towanda wrote:
LLUrbanUnderachiever wrote:Just another reason to grind your own beans.

This week I'm drinking Trader Joe's Organic 5 Country Espresso Blend. Tasty stuff.

Grinding one's own beans is not always practical.

I didn't think so either until I bit the bullet and picked up this bad boy. Makes all the difference in the world.

takes 5 seconds to grind the perfect amount for a double shot.
LLUrbanUnderachiever
Forum Addict

Postby TAsunder » Thu May 14, 2009 12:22 pm

Or just buy the beans whole and have the seller grind them for you.
TAsunder
Forum God/Goddess

Postby LLUrbanUnderachiever » Thu May 14, 2009 2:16 pm

TAsunder wrote:Or just buy the beans whole and have the seller grind them for you.

Even then, they're getting stale and flavorless within a few days. Not undrinkable, but trust me - it's worth it if you like coffee for more than just the buzz.
LLUrbanUnderachiever
Forum Addict

Postby Stan Darsh » Thu May 14, 2009 2:51 pm

I quit coffee about 2 weeks ago for health related reasons. Say a prayer for me and anyone I come into contact with in the early morning hours.
Stan Darsh

Postby TAsunder » Thu May 14, 2009 2:57 pm

LLUrbanUnderachiever wrote:
TAsunder wrote:Or just buy the beans whole and have the seller grind them for you.

Even then, they're getting stale and flavorless within a few days. Not undrinkable, but trust me - it's worth it if you like coffee for more than just the buzz.

Right but you don't get cockroaches then at least, for those who want grounds but not roaches.
TAsunder
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Thu May 14, 2009 3:31 pm

I think the point of that post was that roaches appear to be a part of the coffee production line from harvest to sale. Unless you live in Costa Rica and roast your own, you don't know what's been skittering across your beans.
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fennel » Thu May 14, 2009 6:37 pm

TheBookPolice wrote:I think the point of that post was that roaches appear to be a part of the coffee production line from harvest to sale. Unless you live in Costa Rica and roast your own, you don't know what's been skittering across your beans.

I thought it had more to do with the grinding in particular, in mass-production facilities. There's a difference between skitterings and body parts ground into the mix, after all.
As far as freshness, the time period after grinding is less important than the time period after roasting. But grinding does hasten the degradation of roasted beans, no doubt.
fennel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby bitcharista » Sat May 16, 2009 10:16 am

Any Albino fans here? Some roasters call it Cafe Bianco.

I had an iced double Albino espresso, Ghirardelli white chocolate syrup, a squirt of Torani rasberry with skim milk. I'm normally not into those sorts of drinks but man did it hit the spot last night after a hardcore 10 hour work day. "Adult Strawberry nestle's Quik"

Albino is simply coffee beans that are roasted lightly. Way way more caffeine and a totally different flavor. The beans are so hard, you have to buy them pre-ground from the roasteria, otherwise you'll bust your grinder.
bitcharista
Forum Addict

Postby bitcharista » Sat May 16, 2009 10:20 am

TheBookPolice wrote:I think the point of that post was that roaches appear to be a part of the coffee production line from harvest to sale. Unless you live in Costa Rica and roast your own, you don't know what's been skittering across your beans.

If you buy your beans from a local roaster, you'll have no worries.
bitcharista
Forum Addict

Postby robbie webber » Sat May 16, 2009 3:46 pm

Almost always Ancora beans for me. Recently, I've been buying Ancora d'Oro, but I've had almost all of them, and also favor the Black and Tan. I sometimes buy Just Coffee, depending on what retail outlet I'm passing when I need beans.

Long ago, a friend who was crashing at my place a couple times a month for work bought me a small bean grinder. I'm still using it, and ALWAYS buy whole bean.

I am useless until I've had coffee and it's sunk in for about an hour - and sometimes longer - so the fact that I am willing to add that extra step of grinding the beans says something. I guess I've managed to get the whole coffee-making process down so I can do it in my sleep - because I often have to!

While the idea of a local coffee shop around the corner is wonderful - and every neighborhood should have one - I can't even leave the house until I've had my morning joe. When EVP was a block away I went there to have additional cups, meet neighbors, or when I had forgotten to buy beans. But for a first cup, I never want to have to rely on leaving the house to get juiced.
robbie webber
Forum God/Goddess

Postby robbie webber » Sat May 16, 2009 3:56 pm

And now a dirty little confession: Yesterday I actually tried a McDonald's Iced Latte. And it was acceptable.

I was driving back from teaching a class in Rhinelander. After a very long and tiring day, my attention was flagging, so I pulled over to get some coffee. Other anonymous sources had told me that the McD's coffee was surprisingly OK, so I wanted to try it.

Although I am a huge coffee snob, and would never recommend it on a regular basis, both for taste and buy-local reasons, it will do in an emergency. It beats much of the watery crap I've been served in diners, and actually far surpasses the stuff you brew in your room at the hotel. (Although I've learned that stuff is better if you use two packets for one cup.)

The McD's Iced Latte's biggest downfall is that it tastes a bit like the grounds are still in there. But it's strong and didn't make me want to throw it out the window. And it kept me from driving off the road, which I guess is the most important thing.
robbie webber
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bwis53 » Sat May 16, 2009 9:14 pm

McD's has almost always has good coffee. I have many happy memories of stopping at the Janesville McD's, just off I-90. It was my favorite pit-stop, two decades of Chicago-Madison visits.

All those fancy beans and machines! If I can get a good Verona ground or Mellitta, I put two tablespoons in a glass mug, pour boiling water to desired level, let steep five minutes, pour whole thing through desired chai or gold filter (a few dregs is OK), then top with halfnhalf or milk. Now that's a creamy robusto!
Bwis53
Forum God/Goddess

Postby eriedasch » Mon May 18, 2009 3:27 pm

robbie webber wrote:I am a huge coffee snob, ...and actually far surpasses the stuff you brew in your room at the hotel.

I think I'm helping redefine the term coffee snob. When I travel I bring my own coffee pot, grinder and beans. Too many mornings ruined at the mercy of hotel or diner coffee. Camping can be a challenge, but I can usually find an outlet in a restroom for my grinder. Been meaning to look into that coffee pot that plugs into a cigarette car lighter. Making it on the Coleman campstove does not always cut it.

For about the last year or more I've been drinking Just Coffee's Upright Blend made for non-profit Primates Inc. Big fan of Just Coffee and enjoy pretty much any dark fair trade organic made from freshly ground beans.
eriedasch
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Mon May 18, 2009 3:36 pm

eriedasch wrote:I think I'm helping redefine the term coffee snob. When I travel I bring my own coffee pot, grinder and beans. Too many mornings ruined at the mercy of hotel or diner coffee. Camping can be a challenge, but I can usually find an outlet in a restroom for my grinder. Been meaning to look into that coffee pot that plugs into a cigarette car lighter. Making it on the Coleman campstove does not always cut it.

If you were a real snob, you'd have a Zassenhaus hand mill and a French press, preferably one made out of Lexan (like mine is) for all your rough-n-tumble campbox-packing needs.

Electricity. PFFFT.

/snobbery snob
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

PreviousNext

Return to Beer, wine & cocktails