MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Sunday, November 23, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 47.0° F  Light Rain Fog/Mist
Collapse Photo Bar

Ballistic IPA

Bars, wine, beer, cocktails, drunken escapades

Ballistic IPA

Postby Henry Vilas » Mon May 18, 2009 11:21 am

Ale Asylum's new brew, supposedly only available seasonally. First had it on tap a couple weeks ago at the Big Ten Pub. Yesterday I picked up a sixer at Woodman's. A little pricey, but worth the extra pennies. Hoppy with a fairly strong citrus taste. 7.5% ABV. Moving a little slow today. Probably had one too many.

Anyone else tried it? Whatcha think?
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Ballistic IPA

Postby admin » Mon May 18, 2009 11:36 am

Beer Here review of Ballistic IPA by Robin Shepard: "I’m offering Dean Coffey thanks and a strong endorsement for his first run of this brew. There are other more aggressively-hopped American IPAs out there, but few have the complex balance of Ballistic."
admin
Forum Addict

Postby rrnate » Mon May 18, 2009 1:43 pm

It is pretty dang awesome in my opinion. (I believe this came up in the Sierra Nevada Torpedo thread a couple weeks ago.)

I had thought I'd seen that it was permanently added to their lineup but checking now, I see that A) it is seasonal and B) I need to get me some BEFORE IT'S TOO LATE.

Easily my favorite A.A. beer to date.
rrnate
Forum God/Goddess

Postby wallrock » Mon May 18, 2009 2:10 pm

When I first tried Ballistic I was nonplussed. The Amarillo hops were too citrusy for my taste, and while I didn't dislike it I chalked the whole experience up to just not being to my taste. Then a day or so passed and I found myself with a craving to have another. Since then I've gotten several six-packs throughout town and I'd now put it at or near the top of my favorite IPA list. For a beer that is in one of my less-enjoyed styles, I've been actively seeking this out. Last Friday I found a sixer in Middleton, and I also had maybe one too many that night.
wallrock
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Mon May 18, 2009 3:33 pm

I like it a lot, to the extent that it has become a bit of a problem for me. I like several other of Ale Asylum's beers. Knowing that the Ballistic is limited edition, I tend to order it at the brewery whenever possible, which keeps me from having as many of the other styles as I would like.

Not the worst problem in the world to have I guess.
gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Mon May 18, 2009 4:22 pm

Picked up a six pack from Star Liquor. It was good, but not worth $10 a six pack. Maybe if I found it cheaper it would be worth it. I still think Hopalicious is better.
Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Mon May 18, 2009 8:56 pm

Stebben84 wrote:Picked up a six pack from Star Liquor. It was good, but not worth $10 a six pack. Maybe if I found it cheaper it would be worth it. I still think Hopalicious is better.

I paid less than that at Woodman's. I think it was under $9. I also bought a sixer of Stone IPA and that was closer to $10.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby bitcharista » Tue May 19, 2009 7:59 pm

Good shit maynerd. The brew supply store on Main Street in Sunny P has it as does Cannery Row.
bitcharista
Forum Addict

Postby john_titor » Tue May 19, 2009 10:24 pm

Stebben84 wrote:Picked up a six pack from Star Liquor. It was good, but not worth $10 a six pack. Maybe if I found it cheaper it would be worth it. I still think Hopalicious is better.

I agree. Not sure if hopalicious is better, but the other is not 10 dollars better.
john_titor
Forum God/Goddess

Postby blunt » Wed May 20, 2009 9:42 am

Are you guys so drunk you didn't notice we've been talking Torpedo, Hopalicious, and Ballistic for years now....?
viewtopic.php?f=14&t=45290&start=15
blunt
Forum God/Goddess

Postby bitcharista » Wed May 20, 2009 5:25 pm

I just picked up one of the last sixers of the stuff in Sun Prairie today. A little pricey but hey, those guys are really cool and the beer is good.
bitcharista
Forum Addict

Postby rrnate » Fri May 22, 2009 2:48 pm

blunt wrote:Are you guys so drunk you didn't notice we've been talking Torpedo, Hopalicious, and Ballistic for years now....?
http://www.thedailypage.com/forum/viewt ... 0&start=15

Yeah, but that thread's star was Torpedo - we wanted to let all those negative vibes go and just get excited about this.

And yeah, Hopalicious is remarkable too.
rrnate
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Goober McTuber » Tue May 26, 2009 2:05 pm

I did some taste-testing over the weekend, as I currently have sixers of Torpedo, Ballistic and Hopslam (actually, 3 or 4 sixers of the Hopslam). Torpedo is the worst of the lot, kind of a nasty aftertaste. I do drink and enjoy SN’s regular Pale Ale, as well as their holiday Celebration Ale, but the Torpedo just doesn’t measure up.

The Ballistic is the best thing I’ve tasted so far from AA, and I regularly drink their Hopalicious. Very nice beer.

Hopslam is the best beer ever. The honey seems to nicely moderate the massive hops that went into it, and every time I get two beers into a six-pack I decide I better go buy another because it might soon be unavailable.
Goober McTuber
Forum Addict

Postby LLUrbanUnderachiever » Tue May 26, 2009 2:09 pm

Goober McTuber wrote:I did some taste-testing over the weekend, as I currently have sixers of Torpedo, Ballistic and Hopslam (actually, 3 or 4 sixers of the Hopslam). Torpedo is the worst of the lot, kind of a nasty aftertaste. I do drink and enjoy SN’s regular Pale Ale, as well as their holiday Celebration Ale, but the Torpedo just doesn’t measure up.

The Ballistic is the best thing I’ve tasted so far from AA, and I regularly drink their Hopalicious. Very nice beer.

Hopslam is the best beer ever. The honey seems to nicely moderate the massive hops that went into it, and every time I get two beers into a six-pack I decide I better go buy another because it might soon be unavailable.

HopSlam is a great beer, no doubt, but it is also nearly twice the price of the other two and much stronger ABV-wise. Torpedo is a great session IPA.
LLUrbanUnderachiever
Forum Addict

Postby Goober McTuber » Tue May 26, 2009 2:17 pm

LLUrbanUnderachiever wrote:
Goober McTuber wrote:I did some taste-testing over the weekend, as I currently have sixers of Torpedo, Ballistic and Hopslam (actually, 3 or 4 sixers of the Hopslam). Torpedo is the worst of the lot, kind of a nasty aftertaste. I do drink and enjoy SN’s regular Pale Ale, as well as their holiday Celebration Ale, but the Torpedo just doesn’t measure up.

HopSlam is a great beer, no doubt, but it is also nearly twice the price of the other two and much stronger ABV-wise. Torpedo is a great session IPA.

When it comes to good beer, money is no object. The Ballistic might be a slightly better buy at $9.99 vs $15.49, but I wouldn’t buy another sixer of Torpedo at $1.50. Nasty, nasty beer. Particularly coming from that label.
Goober McTuber
Forum Addict

Next

Return to Beer, wine & cocktails