MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Friday, October 31, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 37.0° F  Overcast
Collapse Photo Bar

Explore Wisconsin

We want to hear about your adventures, be they from Istanbul, Ixtapa or Ixonia. And hey, you might even find someone you can sell your extra Euros to.

Re: Explore Wisconsin

Postby kiwiwannabe » Wed May 20, 2009 10:17 am

Luckenbooth's in Black Earth. Go to the shoe store, shop if you need to, and continue south into "downtown." It's on a corner on your right.

Fantastic food, real baked goods. Lots of locals. A Scottish hostess who loves to tell jokes that are hard for Meerkins to understand.

You can't go wrong here. Just don't be in a big hurry to get in and out, and you'll have fun.

Another option, a few miles farther from Madison, is the Old Feed Mill in Mazomanie, which includes a gift shop.

Since you're a baseball fan, if you want a sports bar experience, stop at Rookie's at the corner of 78 and 14. Have at least a beer here, and marvel at the stuff on the walls and the ball field.
kiwiwannabe
Forum Addict

Postby boston_jeff » Wed May 20, 2009 10:33 am

If we don't find anything in Spring Green, the Luckenbooth might be the only place open on Monday, thanks! Will let the folks decide on House on Rock vs. Cave of the Mounds, both sound allright.

We've been to New Glarus twice (once with them) so we probably won't do that unless we feel like beer tasting, we'll see.
boston_jeff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ned Flounders » Wed May 20, 2009 10:50 am

Sort of on-topic ... if you like to explore Wisconsin back-roads, check out the UW Press's "Cultural Map of Wisconsin".

http://www.wisc.edu/wisconsinpress/books/0163.htm

It was designed by famed cartographer and Madisonian David Woodward. A lot of the work on the map was done by Josh Hane (a buddy of mine) who died a few months before the map was published.

Ned Flounders
Forum God/Goddess

Postby boston_jeff » Thu May 28, 2009 10:42 am

Luckenbooth Cafe was great, had the apple chicken and the honey fried chicken with mash, green beans and homemade bread. Yum. The shoe store was closed and we missed Rookies, but the Luckenbooth was a perfect way to finish our Taliesin experience.

Peck's was also great for fresh veggies.
boston_jeff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby kiwiwannabe » Thu May 28, 2009 10:54 am

Glad you enjoyed the food - Steve at the Shoe Box, who also owns Rookies, is a die-hard Cardinals fan. So when the Brewers BEAT the Cardinals, be sure to head out there and give him a bad time.

I admire all baseball junkies, so I like to stop by when I'm in the neighborhood. AND there's usually a brat stand for a good cause at the shoe store on weekends.
kiwiwannabe
Forum Addict

Postby boston_jeff » Thu May 28, 2009 11:10 am

Saw Rookies both ways, but after our Taliesin tour we were running out of time, and we wanted to make it to Luckenbooth's before the 2 PM closing time. Next time I will check it out for sure, and we will have to see the shoestore too!
boston_jeff
Forum God/Goddess

Previous

Return to Travel