MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Thursday, November 27, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 22.0° F  Mostly Cloudy
Collapse Photo Bar

Ale Asylum's Sticky McDoogle

Bars, wine, beer, cocktails, drunken escapades

Ale Asylum's Sticky McDoogle

Postby rrnate » Fri May 22, 2009 2:55 pm

So hoping to get some of that sweet, sweet Ballistic at Star Liquor yesterday, my hopes were dashed in that they seemed to be out.

However, there was a seed of hope...a new Ale Asylum beer, a scotch ale! I snatched it up and haven't tried it yet. It is enigmatically called "Sticky McDoogle" and I believe they've had it on tap for a while but just started bottling it - has anyone tried it?
rrnate
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Ale Asylum's Sticky McDoogle

Postby TheBookPolice » Fri May 22, 2009 3:12 pm

Robin reviewed it back in September of '08: http://www.thedailypage.com/daily/artic ... icle=23793

I haven't had it yet, so I got nothin.
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Velvet Coffin » Fri May 22, 2009 3:17 pm

I hate you, rrnate. I mean, I love your posts and your music and your attitude, but I hate you for mentioning this. I hate the thread about Ballistic which happily ensured there'd be no Ballistic to be found within city limits. "Some guy just cleaned out all our cases half an hour ago," Dominique at Steve's West told me the other day. "Store closed," said the Verona Wine Cellar door, though I didn't think they'd stock it anyway. "I deeply empathize with your futile mission even though I'm afraid we can't keep it on the shelves due to TfuckingDPF," the dead-eyed cashier at Woodman's might have said if she were programmed to do anything but ask for my ID even though I've got wrinkles and gray hair and am already showing her my driver's license. I hate you, Forons, for talking up and then buying out every decent local beer that I haven't already pickled my liver in. I hate you for showing me that the Sticky McDoogle exists while simultaneously yanking it away. You're all laughing at me, aren't you? You're all drunk on Ballistic and McDoogle RIGHT NOW.

I'ma go cry into my Dogfish Head, stinkers.
Velvet Coffin
Forum Addict

Postby O.J. » Fri May 22, 2009 3:30 pm

Love the beer, love the name. Very well balanced and packs a punch.
O.J.
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Fri May 22, 2009 3:58 pm

O.J. wrote:Love the beer, love the name. Very well balanced and packs a punch.

It's fun to try to say the name after a couple of 'em. Make a game out of it and take a drink every time you say it wrong. You'll be out like a light in no time.
gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby bitcharista » Fri May 22, 2009 6:36 pm

It's ok. I tried this at the brewery a month ago or so.

I try to keep my Doogle sticky free.

Lake Louie's Warped Speed is better.
bitcharista
Forum Addict

Postby rrnate » Wed May 27, 2009 12:11 pm

Velvet Coffin wrote:I hate you, rrnate. I mean, I love your posts and your music and your attitude, but I hate you for mentioning this. I hate the thread about Ballistic which happily ensured there'd be no Ballistic to be found within city limits. "Some guy just cleaned out all our cases half an hour ago," Dominique at Steve's West told me the other day. "Store closed," said the Verona Wine Cellar door, though I didn't think they'd stock it anyway. "I deeply empathize with your futile mission even though I'm afraid we can't keep it on the shelves due to TfuckingDPF," the dead-eyed cashier at Woodman's might have said if she were programmed to do anything but ask for my ID even though I've got wrinkles and gray hair and am already showing her my driver's license. I hate you, Forons, for talking up and then buying out every decent local beer that I haven't already pickled my liver in. I hate you for showing me that the Sticky McDoogle exists while simultaneously yanking it away. You're all laughing at me, aren't you? You're all drunk on Ballistic and McDoogle RIGHT NOW.

I'ma go cry into my Dogfish Head, stinkers.

I'm sorry VC - I will be unable to shake the heavy guilt you have placed upon me for quite a while. It haunts me even now, at work, where I am (relatively) beer-free.

That being said, at least for a while you should really try to hit up the McDoogle while you can - it's really worthwhile. I had kind of turned my back on scotch ales and only really got this one because Ballistic was gone, but it's tasty and really hits the bullseye - you can taste some hops, and the scotchy-bits are balanced and delicious.
rrnate
Forum God/Goddess

Postby barreg » Sun May 31, 2009 5:09 pm

I picked up a sixer of Sticky McDoogle from Woodman's East on Friday and it's pretty good stuff. Based on the comments above, now I think I need to try Lake Louie's Warped Speed.
barreg

Postby TheBookPolice » Sun May 31, 2009 5:54 pm

Grabbed a six at Whole Foods this afternoon. Will report back.
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bellwether » Mon Jul 20, 2009 4:31 pm

TheBookPolice wrote:Grabbed a six at Whole Foods this afternoon. Will report back.

Taking you a long time to drink it, eh mate?
Bellwether
Forum Addict

Postby rrnate » Mon Jul 20, 2009 6:06 pm

Bellwether wrote:
TheBookPolice wrote:Grabbed a six at Whole Foods this afternoon. Will report back.

Taking you a long time to drink it, eh mate?

Maybe he just hasn't sobered up yet.
rrnate
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Tue Jul 21, 2009 12:14 pm

D'oh! Forgot all about that promise. Busy keeping another one at the moment, but as I recall (through the drunken haze), it was damned fine. The wife liked it more, but it's a beer that's more her speed than mine anyway.
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby bitcharista » Tue Jul 21, 2009 6:11 pm

I heard AA was brewing Happy Ending again.

Yippee!
bitcharista
Forum Addict

Postby LLUrbanUnderachiever » Tue Jul 21, 2009 6:42 pm

I find the Scotch Ale to be one of the hardest styles for American brewers and especially brewpubs to get right. Often comes out thin, infected and/or metallic. I think I had AA's scotch ale shortly after they opened, probably the first time they brewed it and recall it being solid, yet unremarkable. I second bitcharista's LL Warped Speed plug as far as great local representations of the style. Makes me crave the Louie's Reserve already.
LLUrbanUnderachiever
Forum Addict

Postby gargantua » Wed Jul 22, 2009 11:32 am

bitcharista wrote:I heard AA was brewing Happy Ending again.

Yippee!

Not only brewing but was on tap as early as last Friday.
gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Next

Return to Beer, wine & cocktails