MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters 
Wednesday, July 23, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 61.0° F  Fair
Collapse Photo Bar

When The Students Are Away, The Townies Will Play

Bars, wine, beer, cocktails, drunken escapades

When The Students Are Away, The Townies Will Play

Postby MadMind » Sat May 23, 2009 1:17 am

If you're like me and tend to avoid State St./Campus bars during the school year, which ones if any are you more apt to visit during the summer?
Funny thing is, in a downtown which is ripe with transition, many of the State St./Off-State/University Ave bars have been around much longer than many of the shops & restaurants of the same area.

Lastly, how many of 40k UW students really leave for the summer? Is it overstated? What would you say the percentage is?
One thing's for sure, it's a more relaxed vibe down there during the summer. Perhaps more local, and more families vs. the 18-20 yr olds with backpacks.
Last edited by MadMind on Sat May 23, 2009 6:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MadMind
Forum God/Goddess

Re: When The Students Are Away, The Townies Will Play

Postby bitcharista » Sat May 23, 2009 7:47 am

I get a lot less parking tickets
bitcharista
Forum Addict

Postby blunt » Mon May 25, 2009 1:56 pm

I live downtown and really don't mind windowshopping the fresh crop of taut young fleshbuckets that swarm into town every year like a plague of dumb attractive locusts.
But once they've gained 15 pounds and are temporarily exterminated, there are some nice changes:

> No cute butts in my way, mostly just regular ones.

> No mobs of oblivious herds of baby giraffes in highheels and awkward monkeys just...standing!...in the middle of the sidewalk.

> No empty bad beer cans and bottles peppering my neighborhood each morning like petrified mutant woodland animals or industrial porch decorations like really lame windchimes and grounded aluminum wind socks.

> No one in front of me at the bar asking "Um...what do you have that's good?"

> No one yelling "woo".
blunt
Forum God/Goddess

Postby lolagirl » Mon May 25, 2009 7:52 pm

More on what Blunt says...
> No more drunken mating calls at 2:30am

> Three months without seeing puddles of dried vomit on the sidewalk as I walk to the Farmer's Market

> Being able to get one of the real chairs at the Union Terrace
lolagirl
Forum Addict

Postby Bwis53 » Mon May 25, 2009 8:54 pm

Better chance of getting a good seat on the #2. Better chance of getting a seat anywhere.

Less chance of someone asking me if a bulb plant will bloom all year long!
Bwis53
Forum God/Goddess

Postby blunt » Tue May 26, 2009 2:03 pm

> Everyone everywhere now seems to be talking to each other instead of on cell phones ("Where you at? You know where I'm at, where are you at? I'm here, where are you? What? What? Hello?")

> Hoppalicious and CedarCrest Carmel Collision finally back in stock at Cap Center

> Less Orange Piccolo Guy
blunt
Forum God/Goddess

Postby wallrock » Tue May 26, 2009 2:04 pm

As to the percentage of students that leave, I'd put it pretty low - maybe 30-40% - based solely on my anecdotal evidence from five years past. I went home my freshman summer and regretted the decision immediately. Every summer after I spent in Madison, working part-time and once taking a few classes. My anecdotal evidence: every one of my roommates and most all of friends throughout the years stayed as well. Unless someone got an summer internship or the like, we all hung around.

I just last week ventured down State for the first time in several months. I recall B-Side staying open later than 8. The Irish is as comfortable as always. Peace Park seemed to be more crowded than usual, and with the price of smokes these days the dude with the change cup shouldn't have acted so aggrieved when I wouldn't bum him one.
wallrock
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Walter » Thu May 28, 2009 7:03 pm

From my perspective, a fair percentage of students leave but not more than 60%. We do get an influx of townies returning from their colleges but with the weather warming, we also get the small-townies rolling in.

You might recognize them driving lifted pick-ups with the Stars and Bars stickers and the beat to shit Grand Ams. The guys are super tanned from whatever outside labor jobs they have and wear t-shirts with cut-off sleeves and the ladies, well, aren't. One summer there was a flood of these geniuses from Arena. They either beat ass or got ass beat relentlessly all summer. I have no idea why they were a plague for a few weeks but it was nice to see them go with the Fall.

Los Ninos del Terra also come a-calling in the summer too. They ride in on freight trains with huge backpacks and grungy dogs, hang out on State, spanging, get fucked up, crash in sublets or empty buildings, fight, get arrested, and hit the rails to elsewhere when it starts to get cold.

Then the students return.

It's the circle of life here.
Walter
Forum God/Goddess

Postby white_rabbit » Thu May 28, 2009 7:54 pm

Walter wrote:
You might recognize them driving lifted pick-ups with the Stars and Bars stickers and the beat to shit Grand Ams. The guys are super tanned from whatever outside labor jobs they have and wear t-shirts with cut-off sleeves and the ladies, well, aren't. One summer there was a flood of these geniuses from Arena. They either beat ass or got ass beat relentlessly all summer. I have no idea why they were a plague for a few weeks but it was nice to see them go with the Fall.

If you want a twisted Lake Wobegon mind visual, read this paragraph back to yourself with your mind-thought Garrison Keillor voice.
white_rabbit
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fennel » Thu May 28, 2009 9:46 pm

Walter wrote: ... and the ladies, well, aren't.

There it is again! Until I moved to Wisconsin, I never heard anyone under the age of 60 use the term lady. But I haven't heard dame used so much either. Am I just missing it?
Walter wrote:One summer there was a flood of these geniuses from Arena. They either beat ass or got ass beat relentlessly all summer. I have no idea why they were a plague for a few weeks but it was nice to see them go with the Fall.
Wow. Interesting. Given the village's name, there has to be a decline-of-the-Roman-Empire analogy here. My dictionary has the origins of arena as a "sand-strewn place of combat." Imagine an adolescent's first kiss in Arena ...
Walter wrote:Los Ninos del Terra also come a-calling in the summer too. They ride in on freight trains with huge backpacks and grungy dogs, hang out on State, spanging, get fucked up, crash in sublets or empty buildings, fight, get arrested, and hit the rails to elsewhere when it starts to get cold.

But why Madison, I wonder? As opposed to Ann Arbor, Chambana, or Bloomington, say.
Walter wrote:Then the students return.
It's the circle of life here.

Dante might phrase it otherwise.
fennel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Walter » Thu May 28, 2009 11:36 pm

white_rabbit wrote:
Walter wrote:

If you want a twisted Lake Wobegon mind visual, read this paragraph back to yourself with your mind-thought Garrison Keillor voice.

Well, I am from the Fatherland, that great Star of the North west of the Mississippi.

fennel wrote:
Walter wrote: ... and the ladies, well, aren't.

There it is again! Until I moved to Wisconsin, I never heard anyone under the age of 60 use the term lady. But I haven't heard dame used so much either. Am I just missing it?

Walter wrote:Los Ninos del Terra also come a-calling in the summer too. They ride in on freight trains with huge backpacks and grungy dogs, hang out on State, spanging, get fucked up, crash in sublets or empty buildings, fight, get arrested, and hit the rails to elsewhere when it starts to get cold.

But why Madison, I wonder? As opposed to Ann Arbor, Chambana, or Bloomington, say.

I was trying not to be rude, but pleasantly trying to be, by calling them "ladies". See "Minnesota Nice". And I am well under 60, thank you very much.

Why Madison? Because the cops are freaking awesome here!
Walter
Forum God/Goddess

Postby blunt » Sat May 30, 2009 7:09 pm

We call 'em the mudpunks.
Dirty as Scanner Dan but without the manners.
Poor little grunge dogs are starved ribsy and then the mudpunks make a sign begging for dog food.
Shameless.
blunt
Forum God/Goddess

Postby crevice beatle » Sun May 31, 2009 3:39 pm

blunt wrote:Poor little grunge dogs are starved ribsy and then the mudpunks make a sign begging for dog food.

Or, rather, make a sign begging for money so they can purchase dog food.

Back in the 90s, an old coworker of mine, whom lived on State was extremely fed up with a young woman who sat on the corner every day, begging for money to buy her dog some food. So one day while shopping at Woodman's, he decides to purchase the largest bag of dog food he can find. He waits till a busy Saturday afteernoon, walks up this girl using her "i need money to buy my dog food" front, and unloads the 25 lb bag at her feet in front of dozens of people. "Here, you won't have to worry about money for dog food for quite a while now".
Needless to say, she went off on him --- making herself look all the more foolish. Fortunately, she did choose to move her pathetic panhandling device to another corner.
crevice beatle
Forum Addict

Postby blunt » Mon Jun 01, 2009 2:41 pm

Thanks, that's what I meant, and that is an excellent anecdote.
I'm going to carry some Kibbles with me this summer.
blunt
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bwis53 » Mon Jun 01, 2009 8:21 pm

Almost as good as giving the "soup lady" a microwavable can of soup...
Bwis53
Forum God/Goddess

Next

Return to Beer, wine & cocktails