MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Tuesday, September 30, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 46.0° F  Fair
Collapse Photo Bar

Rural Cyclists?

If it's news, but not politics, then it goes here.

Rural cyclists are:

Dedicated Exercise Enthusiasts
29%
Safety Menaces
21%
Both
50%

Total votes : 24

Rural Cyclists?

Postby Igor » Tue Jul 13, 2004 11:57 pm

But if cycling is all about the excercise, why do cyclists blow through stop signs? Clearly, coming to a stop and getting back up to speed would be a superior workout to coasting.
Igor
Forum God/Goddess

Postby charliedon'tsurf » Wed Jul 14, 2004 12:34 am

Blowing though a stop sign on a bike is a victimless crime in my book and I hate breaking my stride. If I ever get a ticket so be it, they will get some money out of me.]
I am not going to let your button down street sign world ruin my good times, square.
charliedon'tsurf
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Rural Cyclists?

Postby white_rabbit » Wed Jul 14, 2004 5:33 am

Igor wrote: why do cyclists blow through stop signs?

It's that Darwinian part of the brain that helps thin the slow and stupid ones from the herd.
white_rabbit
Forum God/Goddess

Postby shelly » Wed Jul 14, 2004 8:45 am

Igor wrote:But if cycling is all about the excercise, why do cyclists blow through stop signs? Clearly, coming to a stop and getting back up to speed would be a superior workout to coasting.

Wow, this is such an overgeneralization.

Do you ask this about runners or roller bladers? Do you ever see one who goes through a stop sign or light or otherwise ignore traffic rules?
shelly
Forum God/Goddess

Postby atwoodian » Wed Jul 14, 2004 9:03 am

shelly wrote:
Igor wrote:But if cycling is all about the excercise, why do cyclists blow through stop signs? Clearly, coming to a stop and getting back up to speed would be a superior workout to coasting.

Wow, this is such an overgeneralization.
Do you ask this about runners or roller bladers? Do you ever see one who goes through a stop sign or light or otherwise ignore traffic rules?

I agree rollerbladers should be added to the list, but I have never personally seen a runner zip out against the light or against traffic. They always seem to be doing the basic pedestrian thing, just faster. A lot faster. To the point of almost knocking people down. Maybe not like that A-hole jogger in the Nike commercial, but pretty close. In my experience, fewer bladers run stop signs and red lights than bikers do, but they still do it.

But I have never seen a jogger behaving like a blader or a cyclist. Am I missing something?
atwoodian
Forum God/Goddess

Postby shelly » Wed Jul 14, 2004 9:11 am

I guess I really didn't mean to imply that runners were running amok in the streets or anything, I was more trying to point out that it seemed unfair to target bikers for not paying attention to all the rules when other probably do it as well. Sorry for being unclear.
shelly
Forum God/Goddess

Postby admin » Wed Jul 14, 2004 9:14 am

charliedon'tsurf wrote:Blowing though a stop sign on a bike is a victimless crime in my book and I hate breaking my stride. If I ever get a ticket so be it, they will get some money out of me.]
I am not going to let your button down street sign world ruin my good times, square.

:?: :?: :?: :?:

Believe it or not, most of the people who actually care about bicyclists blowing through stop signs have experienced the adrenaline rush of having to slam on the brakes in order to not hit the chowder head who can't read four letter words yet. Almost took out three such mental giants who decided to run a stop sign at dusk with no reflectors, lights, or other safety gear on themselves or their bikes. For chrissake, at least have your insurance and mortuary information taped to your wrist so that the ambulance crews don't have to waste too much time.

My personal fave is the people who run the signs or refuse to yield on streets and flip you off as they do it. Sort of deflates the "we are good environmentally conscious citizens and obey the rules of the road" argument.
admin

Postby shelly » Wed Jul 14, 2004 9:27 am

Bikers running red lights and stop sign have GOT to be a tiny problem compared to cars doing the same. It has gotten to be routine for cars to run red lights, and that is much more dangerous that bikers doing it. The lights on University Ave as it crosses the railroad tracks just before it turns into Campus Drive or comes from Old University are a good example. EVERY time the light turns red there is someone who runs it. Given that there are hundreds of pedestrians crossing this place daily, it is hugely dangerous. I have even seen aggressive drivers curse and hound OTHER CARS when the car actually did stop at the light! And as for stop signs, forget it, those seem to mean make a token tap on the brakes but proceed anyway.
shelly
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Deitrich » Wed Jul 14, 2004 9:35 am

Seminole Hiway

Spandex clad mobs ride outside the bike lane. I have to routinely remind them to stay in their lane.

And EVERYONE should stop at a stop sign or red light . It's so simple.
Deitrich
Forum God/Goddess

Postby suburban_moron » Wed Jul 14, 2004 1:34 pm

Deitrich wrote: I have to routinely remind them to stay in their lane.

Don't EVEN get me started....

A bike is a vehicle, just as is a car, a moped, a tractor, etc....and as such they all have a right to use the roadway, All of it.

Your routine "reminders" do nothing but show your ignorance of the law and further perpetuate the belief in some kind of road "hierarchy" where people driving cars are "better" than cyclists.

Yes, EVERYONE should stop for stop signs, but how many people driving cars do? Hey a cyclist has more to lose than a deductible if they hit something or get hit. Each person makes their own determination about what is safe and isn't safe. You will never get EVERYONE to obey basic traffic laws, so the next best things is to lookout for yourself.

I have a feeling that all the publicity and conversations this topic has received is going to harden allready strong feelings by some people and create tensions for whole new groups of people before things get better.

The idea that we need to "teach" everyone the rules of the road is a nice shot but I think will fall short. Most people driving cars already basically know what is right or wrong when driving, but are in such a hurry or so arrogant that they could give a shit about any other person driving a car let alone some "spandex clad" freak on a bike...

To a cyclist, cars/trucks/suv's are weapons of mass destruction, and lord knows we are stockpilling them. So in that vein, following our fearless leader's logic, we should attack!

Let the bombing begin...
Last edited by suburban_moron on Wed Jul 14, 2004 2:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
suburban_moron
Forum Addict

Postby Madguy » Wed Jul 14, 2004 1:40 pm

Comparing Bicyclists running red lights to cars running red lights is akin to comparing Clinton's lie to Bush's lie. One puts your own life at risk (albeit in different ways:), while the other puts other people's life at risk. Fact is, running a red light on a bike is against the law in the same way that committing suicide via cliff diving is against the law. Either way, both are stupid laws. Why should I as a non-car owner subscribe to the same laws as those written for the 2-ton bulk metal, non-renewable resource guzzling speedsters that kill more people and animals annually than everything else combined?? We bicyclists are SUPERIOR!!! And we know it. Our mode of tranportation trumps yours. The roads should be OURS!!!!! hehehe
Madguy

Postby Adam Sinclair » Wed Jul 14, 2004 2:11 pm

I learned the hard way, well easier than getting plastered by an SUV broadside, but was ticketed and lost points off my license for not coming to a full stop at a neighborhood stop sign. Plus I left my hat in the cop car... damn!

Oh, and Seminole Hwy is bloody dangerous... ride single file!
or if bikes can ride side by side, then I want to do the same when I head home in my car!
Adam Sinclair
Forum God/Goddess

Postby blunt » Wed Jul 14, 2004 2:16 pm

Everybody needs to be alert and play fair.
People in cars need to be a bit more than anyone because they have a huge heavy steel battering ram around them.
But bikers, bladers, runners, and walkers should be able to do WHATEVER THE HELL THEY WANT as long as they can get away with it.
If you can't, DON'T.
Cars should not have to slow down or swerve.
Bikes should play by the rules downtown.
But if I want to jay walk or blow through a light on a bike, big deal.
If I get smashed flat and die, I can't complain.
blunt
Forum God/Goddess

Postby auntgoodness » Wed Jul 14, 2004 2:32 pm

When biking, I try my best to follow the same laws as the cars. But somehow I have the vague sense that I�m a dork for following the rules. It seems like everyone is so used to bikes just flying through stops and never signaling that they are confused by the law abiding bicyclist.

Am I the only one who uses hand signals any more?? I have only seen two other people do this all season.

Also, I have one tiny request for motorists: If you happen to notice a fellow human on a bike near you at a stop, please nix the peel-out. It's fucking terrifying. I'm well aware that in car vs. bike, car always wins.
auntgoodness
Forum God/Goddess

Postby shelly » Wed Jul 14, 2004 2:32 pm

Deitrich wrote:Seminole Hiway

Spandex clad mobs ride outside the bike lane. I have to routinely remind them to stay in their lane.

And EVERYONE should stop at a stop sign or red light . It's so simple.

although this might be redundant to what suburban_moron said, I want to reiterate that just because there is a bike lane, that does not mean that bikers have to stay in it and not use the rest of the road.
shelly
Forum God/Goddess

Next

Return to Headlines