MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Monday, September 22, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 65.0° F  A Few Clouds
Collapse Photo Bar

Imperial Saison from New Glarus & My Wifey

Bars, wine, beer, cocktails, drunken escapades

Imperial Saison from New Glarus & My Wifey

Postby rrnate » Wed May 27, 2009 12:18 pm

So, have any of y'all tried this yet? In my newly found quest to unconsciously ruin Velvet Coffin's ability to get local beers, I picked up a 4-pack of this last week. (It looks like we have our very own Isthmus review too - http://www.isthmus.com/daily/article.php?article=25916

Not bad, though not exactly my thing. It seems I have recently given my wifey beer fever by bringing her various fruity beers and she enjoyed this - I thought it had a nice taste though I only really tried hers. (I had my own date with Sticky McD.)

She has also recently enjoyed Abita's Strawberry beer and the good-but-overpriced-Aprihop from Dogfishhead. Can you recommend other sweet-but-not-cloying beers for her? Help me succeed in giving her beer fever!
rrnate
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Imperial Saison from New Glarus & My Wifey

Postby TheBookPolice » Wed May 27, 2009 12:24 pm

My SO hated--HATED--the Imperial Saison, and she loved the Sour Red Flemish Ale that's on tap at Brasserie V. So who knows?

I for one enjoyed it quite a bit. Don't know if I could knock out a couple in a session, but it's tasty. Also really like Aprihop, but yeah, all those Dogfish Head specialty brews are a mite pricey.

Sam Adams' Cherry Wheat is nice on a hot summer day. I've been known to drink Leinie's Summer Shandy on occasion, but I know people who loathe it. If New Glarus does the Apple Ale Unplugged brew again, try that.
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby ilikebeans » Wed May 27, 2009 2:48 pm

Another vote for Sam Adams Cherry Wheat. I truly love this beer. I seem to remember also trying their cranberry lambic, and liking that, but it's also harder to find.

I'd also highly recommend the New Glarus Wisconsin Belgian Red. While rather expensive (and distributed in a wine-like bottle), it's quite awesome, and makes a great "special occasion" treat.

Has she tried the various wheat beers? In particular, the German hefeweizen seems sweet to me, but the cloudiness of the unfiltered yeast turns some people off.
ilikebeans
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Wed May 27, 2009 3:03 pm

Ooh, forgot about Belgian Red. And Raspberry Tart, although it's second-best compared to the Red.

Sam Adams has their Blackberry Witbier on shelves now. Saw it at Woodman's West in sixers and individual bottles (handy!).
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Return to Beer, wine & cocktails