MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Wednesday, December 24, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 35.0° F  Overcast
Collapse Photo Bar

LOST

How can cultural elitists like ourselves put TV in the Culture category? Well, where the hell else is it going to fit?

Opinion on Lost?

This show is a sign that the TV show as an art form is not dead.
53%
This show sucked, and I think you're insane for liking it.
No votes
Just a good show.
10%
You only like this because you're insane. Get help.
No votes
Never seen it.
28%
It just sucks in a regular way.
10%

Total votes : 40

Re: LOST

Postby Prof. Wagstaff » Thu May 14, 2009 2:21 pm

Honestly, if I hadn't watched this show on DVD, I never would have stuck with it. I found Season One to be extremely frustrating, particularly as it became clear there were supernatural doings afoot. I realize now that I wasn't reacting to the show so much as my own expectations of what I hoped the show would be, but I would likely have given up had I been watching week-to-week -- the instant availability and constant urgings from other fans were all that kept me interested.

I still have many qualms about some of the early events (like why The Others seemed so superhuman then, but not so much now) but I sure am glad I stuck it out. The transition from instant gratification (through all of Season 5) to week-to-week viewings has been pretty harsh, though...
Prof. Wagstaff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Thu May 14, 2009 3:06 pm

FOUND IT. I have FOUND the CLUE.

When Ben tries to summon the Smoke Monster (via that drain plug thing), it doesn't come. Locke mocks him, then leaves. He comes back knowing where to go. THEN we get the scene where Ben is judged beneath the Temple, by the Smoke Monster.

If "Esau" and the Smoke Monster aren't one in the same, then they're definitely poker buddies.
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Shipley » Thu May 14, 2009 4:27 pm

Yeah, i figured that right away. Locke and Ben also split up, and Lock meets up with Ben more or less right after his encounter with Alex.

Nemesis was just making sure that Locke was in his pocket.

This was also the episode Ben said "Dead is dead" to sun, basically telling the audience that John Locke is gone, and this ain't John Locke.

The great question is whether Ben will follow Nemesis, or try to turn the knife on him next. He has a habit of being selfish and making things worse.
Shipley
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rrnate » Wed May 27, 2009 2:45 pm

So, I have never seen an episode of this show but have been intrigued now and then. As a big fan of Twin Peaks (and to a slightly lesser degree, shows influenced by it like X-Files, etc.), I've heard Lost compared to TP often.

Is it anywhere near as good? Is it just a soap opera on an island?
rrnate
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TAsunder » Wed May 27, 2009 2:56 pm

Lost is significantly better than Twin Peaks. Then again, I never thought too highly of Twin Peaks.
TAsunder
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Wed May 27, 2009 3:05 pm

rrnate wrote:So, I have never seen an episode of this show but have been intrigued now and then. As a big fan of Twin Peaks (and to a slightly lesser degree, shows influenced by it like X-Files, etc.), I've heard Lost compared to TP often.

Have you watched the first two hours of the series ("The Pilot", parts 1 and 2)? If not, watch them. If you're not sold, then you. Me. We talk.
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Shipley » Wed May 27, 2009 4:46 pm

you get maybe one or 2 soapy episodes per season. Jack & Kate need to die, I want them to go away so bad. when the show focuses on other relationships, it feels like coming up to breathe after swimming in mysteries. Rose & Bernard's flashback, some of Hurley's more comical adventures, all were welcome in the face of getting too bogged down in the absolute crazy hell looming over them all day to day.

The cast is so big and diverse, even if you hate Kate and pray to see her die in a fire with each episode like I do, you spend so much time with other character it doesn't matter so much.
Shipley
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rrnate » Thu May 28, 2009 11:47 am

TheBookPolice wrote:
rrnate wrote:So, I have never seen an episode of this show but have been intrigued now and then. As a big fan of Twin Peaks (and to a slightly lesser degree, shows influenced by it like X-Files, etc.), I've heard Lost compared to TP often.

Have you watched the first two hours of the series ("The Pilot", parts 1 and 2)? If not, watch them. If you're not sold, then you. Me. We talk.

I haven't, but you have influenced me to check it out. I will let you know if I get sold.
rrnate
Forum God/Goddess

Postby boston_jeff » Thu May 28, 2009 12:07 pm

I think you may like it, and watching the series on DVD is a treat, particularly when storylines get bogged down and you want to know what happens next as opposed to another Kate flash back/forward. I've watched it "live" since the beginning, but I have really loved watching Seasons 1 and 2 on DVD and plan on purchasing the remaining seasons on Blu-Ray.
boston_jeff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Thu May 28, 2009 12:14 pm

boston_jeff wrote:as opposed to another Kate flash back

Y'know, I've really disliked Kate episodes quite a bit over the years, and yet I was sold on her this season. "The Little Prince" was a sock-knocker-offer, and "Whatever Happened, Happened" was almost as good, which is no faint praise.
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby boston_jeff » Thu May 28, 2009 12:22 pm

I think she's a pretty brutal actress. And there's too many Kate storylines in general. Some are fine, its the sheer volume that gets to me. And her suckitude.

The last two Lost seasons have been pretty excellent IMO. Aside from donkeywheels and the corny-ass Ben/Alex/Smokey scene, I'm a happy camper, Kate and all. Still have the final two hour ep on my DVR. Only watched it 3 times so far.
boston_jeff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby slake » Thu May 28, 2009 1:19 pm

Something that continues to bother me since the finale aired but doesn't seem to be getting much discussion is that Juliet's flashback might not fit with the main timeline.

In the flashback we're shown her parents trying to softly deliver news of their breakup to Juliet as a child. If Juliet is roughly the same age as the actress who plays her and the child is somewhere around ten to thirteen years old, the scene takes places in the early eighties.

However, everything about the style of the room and clothing suggest we're looking at something much more contemporary.

Considering I was only a wee babe at the time and my knowledge of early 80s fashion is perhaps drawn too heavily from movies, it still seems an odd thing to leave vague given the unprecedented lengths the shows producers go to to keep things looking believable.
slake

Postby boston_jeff » Fri May 29, 2009 11:19 am

boston_jeff
Forum God/Goddess

Previous

Return to TV