MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Wednesday, August 20, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 62.0° F  A Few Clouds
Collapse Photo Bar

When The Students Are Away, The Townies Will Play

Bars, wine, beer, cocktails, drunken escapades

Re: When The Students Are Away, The Townies Will Play

Postby roadkill bill » Tue Jun 02, 2009 10:19 am

It's not the panhandling I mind. It's the lying. Yeah, I know, no one is going to give you a dollar if you say it's for booze or drugs. But don't yell at me when I offer you what you asked for:

Grungy person: "Um, hey, can you give me a dollar so I can take the bus/train? I have to visit my sister in the hospital."

Me: "I don't have any change, but I can give you a ticket/token/transfer with time left on it to take the bus/train." (I pull out a booklet of tickets or a token when I lived in the city.)

Grungy person: "Um, uh, can't you just give me a dollar?" (And that's the polite version.)

In my big city life, guys used to ask me for food. I'd offer to give them half my sandwich, or to buy them a sandwich at the shop. Not one took me up on it.

Hell, I'd take someone up on a free sandwich, and I'm not even spanging.
roadkill bill
Forum God/Goddess

Postby boston_jeff » Tue Jun 02, 2009 11:01 am

The honesty of panhandlers is a very important issue to take up. I'm glad you have so much free time, maybe you can design a homeless person lie detector too. I don't know about the rest of you, but when I lived in a big city, I never ran around offering sandwiches, tokens or "ticket booklets" to anyone (seriously). I just gave change occasionally, or passed them by. If they were entertaining, maybe a dollar. WTF right do I have to insist that spangers use the money I give them for what I deem to be appropriate? Its no wonder none of them took you up on it.

I know that many of you think that the homeless in the US are lazy addicts who should get a job, but most are self-medicating mentally ill. Hassling them and taking away what little dignity they have by tossing giant bags of dog chow at their feet or offering half eaten sandwiches to call their pathetic bluffs seems equally pathetic. But whatever gets you off.
boston_jeff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Right Bower » Tue Jun 02, 2009 12:00 pm

boston_jeff wrote:The honesty of panhandlers is a very important issue to take up. I'm glad you have so much free time, maybe you can design a homeless person lie detector too. I don't know about the rest of you, but when I lived in a big city, I never ran around offering sandwiches, tokens or "ticket booklets" to anyone (seriously). I just gave change occasionally, or passed them by. If they were entertaining, maybe a dollar. WTF right do I have to insist that spangers use the money I give them for what I deem to be appropriate? Its no wonder none of them took you up on it.

I know that many of you think that the homeless in the US are lazy addicts who should get a job, but most are self-medicating mentally ill. Hassling them and taking away what little dignity they have by tossing giant bags of dog chow at their feet or offering half eaten sandwiches to call their pathetic bluffs seems equally pathetic. But whatever gets you off.

Right on. Well said. I make it a point to not believe people when they tell me they offered to take a homeless person to get a sandwich with them after said homeless person asked for a buck.

I think Rush Limbaugh once claimed that's what he does. I can only assume all of his followers like to say they do the same.

But back to thread topic: the biggest difference I notice when students are gone for the summer is the lack of BMW SUVs with New York plates parking near Marigold and four 19 year-olds getting out with hot pants, Uggs and aviator glasses, looking like they just rolled out of bed, disappointed that the place is closed and they can't get breakfast at 3pm.
Right Bower
Forum Addict

Postby wallrock » Tue Jun 02, 2009 12:24 pm

boston_jeff wrote:The honesty of panhandlers is a very important issue to take up. I'm glad you have so much free time, maybe you can design a homeless person lie detector too. I don't know about the rest of you, but when I lived in a big city, I never ran around offering sandwiches, tokens or "ticket booklets" to anyone (seriously). I just gave change occasionally, or passed them by. If they were entertaining, maybe a dollar. WTF right do I have to insist that spangers use the money I give them for what I deem to be appropriate? Its no wonder none of them took you up on it.

I'm with you for the most part. I just don't like to see some poor skinny animal used to elicit sympathy on the part of some crust-punk kid that is doing an Alexander Supertramp routine.

The only time I get upset with the spangers is when they get overly shout-y or aggressive in panhandling. Or if they want to bum a smoke - shit's too expensive these days to be just giving them away.
wallrock
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Walter » Tue Jun 02, 2009 12:40 pm

Right Bower wrote:But back to thread topic: the biggest difference I notice when students are gone for the summer is the lack of BMW SUVs with New York plates parking near Marigold and four 19 year-olds getting out with hot pants, Uggs and aviator glasses, looking like they just rolled out of bed, disappointed that the place is closed and they can't get breakfast at 3pm.

Hey, college is hard. They're under, like, so much, you know, pressure. How are they supposed to, like, get nutrition and stuff. It's not easy to cram partying, hanging out, shopping, having your laundry done for you by Lazybones, getting a new fake ID, going out to eat, being bored while Daddy pays for everything on top of going to class (maybe) four days a week. Gawd, this place is just ludicrous!!! Have a little heart, please?

Although writing them tickets for squatting down on the sidewalk on State Street and urinating is quite entertaining.

I miss them already. <sigh>
Walter
Forum God/Goddess

Postby boston_jeff » Tue Jun 02, 2009 12:48 pm

wallrock wrote:

I'm with you for the most part. I just don't like to see some poor skinny animal used to elicit sympathy on the part of some crust-punk kid that is doing an Alexander Supertramp routine.

The only time I get upset with the spangers is when they get overly shout-y or aggressive in panhandling. Or if they want to bum a smoke - shit's too expensive these days to be just giving them away.

Earnestness and threadjack alert. Yeah, like I said give 'em money or don't. If they are harassing your ass, call Walter, otherwise leave them alone.

Proving a "point" might make you feel better about the local problem, but it doesn't make you a better person, it makes you a bully. And it certainly does nothing to contribute to solutions re: the larger problem.

The animal thing is definitely complicated. You have to ask yourself if the animal would be better off in a pound. And you know if you offered a half eaten sandwich to that pup, he or she would eat it. For an interesting fictional take on this, see "Wendy and Lucy." I thought it was a decent if somewhat drab film, but the relationship between this homeless drifter and her dog was real. And she makes a heartbreaking decision in the end.
boston_jeff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rrnate » Tue Jun 02, 2009 1:00 pm

Right Bower wrote:But back to thread topic: the biggest difference I notice when students are gone for the summer is the lack of BMW SUVs with New York plates parking near Marigold and four 19 year-olds getting out with hot pants, Uggs and aviator glasses, looking like they just rolled out of bed, disappointed that the place is closed and they can't get breakfast at 3pm.

I'd like to be able to get breakfast at the Marigold at 3 PM too. That being said, I don't have any hotpants, but if wearing them will get me a 3 PM breakfast there, I'm in.
rrnate
Forum God/Goddess

Postby roadkill bill » Tue Jun 02, 2009 1:42 pm

I no longer offer sandwiches and bus tickets. I just say no. But when I was young and naive, I believed the people that asked me for money for a sandwich outside a sandwich shop, or the people that asked for subway fare as I was leaving the subway.

The reason I offered half of my freshly wrapped, not half-eaten sandwich - which I made at home because I couldn't afford to go out myself - was because that is what I could afford to give. And if I offered a used transfer as I left the subway or bus, it's because I didn't have an extra dollar to hand out, but felt that there was no reason someone else shouldn't get a benefit from my transfer with time left on it.

I'm the biggest bleeding heart you are going to find. But now I give money to groups that provide services, food to the food pantry, and extra bus tickets to organizations that help people get to where they need to go. Sorry, the folks that said no to my previous offers by swearing at me sort of turned me off of direct donations.
roadkill bill
Forum God/Goddess

Postby boston_jeff » Tue Jun 02, 2009 1:59 pm

That's cool, sorry about the 'tude.
boston_jeff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Tue Jun 02, 2009 2:07 pm

When anyone comes up to me asking "change?" I reply, "change begins within."

Credit to whomever said that first in these pages some years ago.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Metallicist » Wed Jun 03, 2009 12:15 am

Henry Vilas wrote:When anyone comes up to me asking "change?" I reply, "change begins within."

Thats cute. Ever get hit for saying it? Just curious.

When someone asks me for change I have a scintillating repertoire of about three responses:
1. No.
2. Grunt ("No")
3. Make non threatening eye contact and say nothing
4. Offer them them the still toasty warm half of the tedgy wedger I'm taking back to work.

I havent gotten hit for any of the above responses. Number four however is the biggest crowd pleaser.
Metallicist

Postby Henry Vilas » Wed Jun 03, 2009 9:24 am

Metallicist wrote:
Henry Vilas wrote:When anyone comes up to me asking "change?" I reply, "change begins within."

Thats cute. Ever get hit for saying it? Just curious.

Nope. I'm even scarier looking than some of the street beggers.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Marvell » Wed Jun 03, 2009 12:04 pm

rrnate wrote:I'd like to be able to get breakfast at the Marigold at 3 PM too. That being said, I don't have any hotpants, but if wearing them will get me a 3 PM breakfast there, I'm in.

If so, I'm confident in stating that you would be the first person in the history of human civilization to wear hotpants with a sweater vest.
Marvell
Forum God/Goddess

Postby ilikebeans » Wed Jun 03, 2009 1:14 pm

Marvell wrote:
rrnate wrote:I'd like to be able to get breakfast at the Marigold at 3 PM too. That being said, I don't have any hotpants, but if wearing them will get me a 3 PM breakfast there, I'm in.

If so, I'm confident in stating that you would be the first person in the history of human civilization to wear hotpants with a sweater vest.

Now there's someone on the street I'd give money to for the entertainment value alone.
ilikebeans
Forum God/Goddess

Postby narcoleptish » Wed Jun 03, 2009 8:33 pm

Metallicist wrote:
When someone asks me for change I have a scintillating repertoire of about three responses:
1. No.
2. Grunt ("No")
3. Make non threatening eye contact and say nothing
4. Offer them them the still toasty warm half of the tedgy wedger I'm taking back to work.

You ever get hit because you couldn't count?
narcoleptish
Forum God/Goddess

PreviousNext

Return to Beer, wine & cocktails