MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Thursday, October 2, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 64.0° F  Overcast
Collapse Photo Bar

Movies nobody but you likes

Comment on the Isthmus movie reviews, write one yourself, discuss upcoming flicks, recent DVDs, and other realms in the world of cinema.

Re: Movies nobody but you likes

Postby peripat » Mon Jun 08, 2009 8:43 pm

Brother From Another Planet
Howard the Duck
and...
Zoolander
but I really wish I could remember who told me how much they loved Ishtar....
peripat
Forum God/Goddess

Postby boston_jeff » Mon Jun 08, 2009 9:03 pm

Please stop:

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/brother ... er_planet/

This is a critically acclaimed indie flick, it doesn't really belong on a list of films that no one else likes. Neither does Galaxy Quest, Fifth Element or Real Genius. Dig deeper.
boston_jeff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby pjbogart » Mon Jun 08, 2009 9:50 pm

"Lake Placid" Everyone hates this movie and I'm not sure why. I guess I've always had a crush on Bridget Fonda so maybe I give it too much credit. Humorous dialogue and decent action/horror if you don't take it too seriously.

"Salem's Lot" I dug this book as a tween and the scary blue vampire ended up being my default notion of what a vampire should look like. Made for TV with David Soul and kind of cheesy, but I had the VHS until I found the DVD and I still watch it a few times a year.

"Silver Bullet" Again, a Stephen King book, this time starring Corey Haim and Gary Busey. I've probably watched this movie 20 times or more and recently noticed that the Sheriff is John from "Lost" (with hair).

"Invaders From Mars" Louise Fletcher, otherwise known as Nurse Ratched, is the only person in this terrible movie who can act. I don't blame everyone for hating this movie... it's absolutely atrocious. For some reason, I like it anyway.
pjbogart
Forum God/Goddess

Postby buckyor » Mon Jun 08, 2009 10:35 pm

Eyes Wide Shut

Thank you, what did I win?
buckyor
Forum God/Goddess

Postby boston_jeff » Mon Jun 08, 2009 10:43 pm

I kind of liked it. And I always preferred Stripes to Ghostbusters. But Ghostbusters isn't exactly shitty either.
boston_jeff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby chainsawcurtis » Tue Jun 09, 2009 7:13 am

residentfan wrote:
chainsawcurtis wrote:Howard the Duck

Hey, that just came out on DVD! I hated it. Don't know many folks who like it. You may be the winner here.

A cigar chewing duck, Lea Thompson, a mad scientist and rock&roll at the end....What's not to like?
chainsawcurtis
Forum Addict

Postby Jattpw » Tue Jun 09, 2009 10:18 am

Anything with Molly Ringwald, but particularly "The Pick Up Artist"

The love scene in the car is a classic!
Jattpw
Forum God/Goddess

Postby QuantumWeaver » Tue Jun 09, 2009 10:32 am

What? No Xanadu? One of my favorites.

I liked The Fountain also... I guess it actually got "booed" at Cannes.
QuantumWeaver

Postby wallrock » Tue Jun 09, 2009 10:34 am

boston_jeff wrote:Please stop:

This is a critically acclaimed indie flick, it doesn't really belong on a list of films that no one else likes. Neither does Galaxy Quest, Fifth Element or Real Genius. Dig deeper.

I had no idea that the Fifth Element was critically acclaimed or popular. I just tossed it in based on my anecdotal experience when it came out in '97. I went to see it when it first came out, then again at Market Square, and I tried to get another group of my friends together for another viewing but it was roundly rejected. Throughout the summer and over the years, even occasionally to this day, my old friends from high school made fun of me for liking this film.

Hearing that it's actually popular and acclaimed feels vindicating.
wallrock
Forum God/Goddess

Postby supaunknown » Tue Jun 09, 2009 10:45 am

buckyor wrote:Eyes Wide Shut

I like that movie more and more every time I watch it. It's quite dark and beautiful. Temptation. There's something extra menacing about the deliberate pace and the pause some characters take before speaking their lines. So very Kubrick.

Anybody know if there's an unedited version available? I mean, that orgy scene ain't all it could be! First version I saw, they blocked the naughties with post-production pillars and now it's CGI'd cloaked partygoers ...
supaunknown
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ned Flounders » Tue Jun 09, 2009 10:50 am

So far nobody else in this thread has admitted to liking Until the End of the World, so I'm clearly in very select company on that one.

Thanks to Wikipedia, though, I learned that apparently there's a new 6-hour version on DVD (not in Region 1, though). One comment I read suggested that Wenders had first tried to get permission for a 20-hour version, then an 8-hour version, but both were rejected.
Ned Flounders
Forum God/Goddess

Postby boston_jeff » Tue Jun 09, 2009 10:54 am

wallrock wrote:
boston_jeff wrote:Please stop:

I had no idea that the Fifth Element was critically acclaimed or popular. I just tossed it in based on my anecdotal experience when it came out in '97. I went to see it when it first came out, then again at Market Square, and I tried to get another group of my friends together for another viewing but it was roundly rejected. Throughout the summer and over the years, even occasionally to this day, my old friends from high school made fun of me for liking this film.

Hearing that it's actually popular and acclaimed feels vindicating.

Brother From Another Planet and Galaxy Quest are the acclaimed ones (both over 90% on the tomato-meter). The Fifth Element, and Real Genius are not necessarily acclaimed, but they're not embarrassingly bad or anything (both above 70%). Not necessarily popular, but definitely more well liked than "nobody but you" I'm guessing.
boston_jeff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby HeyZeus » Tue Jun 09, 2009 11:01 am

Does anyone remember "Neighbors" with John Belushi and Dan Aykroyd?

Classic.
HeyZeus
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ned Flounders » Tue Jun 09, 2009 11:14 am

Shipley wrote:this thread has a lot of Bruce Willis.

But not so much Kevin Costner. I notice a distinct lack of mentions of Waterworld, The Postman, etc.
Ned Flounders
Forum God/Goddess

Postby residentfan » Tue Jun 09, 2009 11:42 am

I'll put "The Postman" in my category. I have others, but they're liked by others. Even though it has its obvious cliched apocalyptic background, I thought the idea of someone trying to bring back the good ol' USA by delivering mail was pretty good. Obviously, the book was better. But I rather liked this movie.
residentfan

PreviousNext

Return to Movies