MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Sunday, September 21, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 48.0° F  Fair
Collapse Photo Bar

Ha Long Bay on Willy St.

Where are you eating and what do you think? What's opening, closing, succeeding, failing?

Ha Long Bay on Willy St.

Postby TheBookPolice » Tue Jun 02, 2009 4:10 pm

This new Thai/Vietnamese bistro-ish restaurant opened on Sunday, May 31. Anyone been? It's where Babs' used to be, and RP's before that.

I'll get there soon, but I know all you Willy Street Forons are interested now...
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Ha Long Bay on Willy St.

Postby boston_jeff » Tue Jun 02, 2009 4:35 pm

I will go soon, my poker buddy's family owns it, so I may have to go with her so we can get the free food on. Maybe Friday night!
boston_jeff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby steveo » Wed Jun 03, 2009 4:46 pm

that should keep them in business
steveo

Postby GCCNeighbor » Tue Jun 09, 2009 10:41 am

Any reports?
GCCNeighbor

Postby boston_jeff » Tue Jun 09, 2009 10:56 am

Still haven't dined there. Went by last week to pick up takeout menus and they didn't have any ready yet.
boston_jeff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby hecky » Tue Jun 09, 2009 1:35 pm

They have no web site, no takeout menus, no business cards, they have no sign posting their hours, as far as I can tell there is no sign even saying what the name of the place is, they have nothing that says what the telephone number is, and when you ask them these questions, they cannot even find a piece of paper on which to write down the hours or the telephone number. What are the chances, do ya think, that they can serve you food in a competant fashion?

It is pretty inside though.
hecky
Forum Addict

Postby boston_jeff » Tue Jun 09, 2009 1:43 pm

Dude, half the places in Madison don't have a website. And there is definitely a sign, I saw the guy painting it a few weeks back and its up there.

I hear good things from slightly biased sources, so I'll reserve judgment until I actually eat the food. As its right on my block I imagine we will be eating there a lot if its decent. I think I ate at Bab's more than anyone else on the Isthmus for this reason as well.
boston_jeff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby hecky » Tue Jun 09, 2009 2:50 pm

If they had one of the following: takeout menu, a website, or a menu with phone number and their hours posted in the window --that would be okay. When they have none of those things -- and no business card and the inability to write their phone number on a piece of paper-- that's a problem.
hecky
Forum Addict

Postby boston_jeff » Tue Jun 09, 2009 4:37 pm

Not for me!
boston_jeff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Pogoagogo » Tue Jun 09, 2009 4:57 pm

Natt Spil and Kushi Bar Muramoto don't have signs. Natt Spil doesn't have a phone. Both places are celebrated. I'd try the food before passing judgment.
Pogoagogo
Forum Addict

Postby crevice beatle » Tue Jun 09, 2009 10:03 pm

hecky wrote:If they had one of the following: takeout menu, a website, or a menu with phone number and their hours posted in the window --that would be okay. When they have none of those things -- and no business card and the inability to write their phone number on a piece of paper-- that's a problem.

It would seem that logically speaking, yes, it is a problem... but when it comes to recently opened, small, foreign restaurants, I'd chalk it up as more of a concern and/or annoyance. Some of the best places I've eaten at are completely unproffesional due to lack of reliable business hours, accesibility to take out menus, and web pages. On the other hand, living within a few blocks and not being a fan of Bab's, I will admit to willing this glass half full.
crevice beatle
Forum Addict

Postby narcoleptish » Thu Jun 11, 2009 8:55 am

Let's see Ha Long this thread can get before anyone actually tries the food.
narcoleptish
Forum God/Goddess

Postby hecky » Thu Jun 11, 2009 12:26 pm

Let me just say that I truly hope the food is good and wish them success.
hecky
Forum Addict

Postby Goober McTuber » Thu Jun 11, 2009 1:44 pm

Just wanted to post in this thread as I’ve not eaten there yet, either.
Goober McTuber
Forum Addict

Postby Galoot » Thu Jun 11, 2009 2:35 pm

Just got back from an *excellent* lunch at Ha Long Bay Restaurant. My group was at least 18 people, and they managed to get us all served very quickly (one of my group had called ahead to warn them).

The menu is, if anything, a bit too much--page after page of Thai, Vietnamese, and Laotian options. But if they can serve what they are promising, then there is no reason to complain about the thick menu. I got a nice easy choice, chicken squash curry, which came with either soup or salad, and I opted for the cucumber salad, which showed up right away. The squash curry was wonderful--often this dish is overcooked, so that the squash ends up with no texture, but this was just right. The spicy curry sauce was good, and didn't taste quite like this dish tastes from other restaurants in Madison. Not sure how to describe the difference, but I did like it!

My associates got a variety of dishes, mostly lunch specials, and seemed pleased overall. The staff brought out desserts for us to try too, sticky rice with mango, and sesame balls with sweet bean paste. I recommend trying both if you visit.

Oh, and I got an iced Thai coffee too with my lunch, with came with the cream in a separate little cup. A nice touch, I thought.

Hope this helps! It seems like a good restaurant for this location.
Galoot
Forum God/Goddess

Next

Return to Restaurant News & Reviews