MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Wednesday, September 17, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 56.0° F  Partly Cloudy
Collapse Photo Bar

E3 2009

Wiis, PlayStations, iPads, blogging platforms, Facebook and anything else worthy of buzz in the digital world.

E3 2009

Postby MadMind » Mon Jun 08, 2009 2:51 am

Now that E3 2009 has come to a close, what games/peripherals/announcements lit a fire under your pants?
Gamepro's Best Of E3 2009 Awards

Xbox 360
Alan Wake looks like it's coming along nicely and will provide something unique and immersive.
Shadow Complex coming to Xbox Live Arcade definitely looks like something I will want to play.
I'm always interested in the evolution of the Castlevania series, which brings me to Castlevania: Lords Of Shadow (360/PS3), even though I haven't tried out a 3D Castlevania since it's 3D debut on the N64.
At first look Brutal Legend (360/PS3) might just look like another free-roaming platformer (albeit with the spirit of Guitar Hero combined with God Of War gameplay), but with Tim Schaefer behind the helm and Jack Black doing the voice-work, it could be a stand-out.
Now I've never actually purchased or played through a Splinter Cell game. When forced to choose I always take run-and-gun gameplay over stealth. But I have to admit, the demo of Splinter Cell Conviction which was played through for audiences was bad-ass.
I'm sure Halo ODST will be a big seller. Although I just played through Halo 3 not that long ago so forgive me if I'm not busting a nut.
The Final Fantasy franchise (Final Fantasy 13) and the Metal Gear franchise (Metal Gear Rising) are coming to an Xbox console for the first time!, which can't make Sony very happy.
Although I'm still waiting for Konami to announce the coming of the PS3's highest-rated game, Metal Gear Solid 4, to come to the 360. Which I believe is only a matter of time.

The announcements of Facebook/Twitter/Last.fm on Xbox is definitely cool, but the biggest news has to be Project Natal.
Now whether or not I buy into the scope & depth of the Project Natal promo video (which of course any veteran of the scene knows better), if it's even half as dynamic & accurate as it portray's it could eat-away at some of Nintendo's profit-margin.
The potential of Natal is really up in the air at this point. At best developer's could find clever ways to incorporate control schemes utilizing Natal within otherwise standard controller operated games. At worst it could be nothing more than Microsoft's version of Sony's Eyetoy/Playstation Eye.
While I wasn't necessarily impressed by the demo's of Ricochet or Paint Party, I did see potential in Lionhead Studio's Milo & Kate (even though any trained eye could see that Milo's reactions were pre-scripted).

I mean let's get real for a moment. No hardcore gamer is going to want to come home from a long day and want to exert that much energy playing a game, waving your arms and jumping around and carefully annunciating every word spoken to your television and such. That's one reason I think the standardized controller will never go out of style. A mature gamer is going to desire to sit down and relax his/her body while gaming. This is one reason why the Wii is never going to fully attract core gamers, apart from a few select titles.

Nintendo Wii
Nintendo was up to their antics hawking more peripherals for the Wii than you can shake a stick at, from the Wii Motion Plus with Wii Sports Resort to Wii Fit Plus for the existing balance board to the announcement of the (useless) Wii Vitality Sensor.

First party games to look forward to include Super Mario Galaxy 2,
New Super Mario Brothers Wii (which if it was released on Xbox would be nothing more than a $10-15 Live Arcade title!), and
Metroid: Other M which is a joint effort with Tecmo's Team Ninja and Nintendo.

Third party includes two on-rail gun games Resident Evil: The Darkside Chronicles and Dead Space Extraction.

I watched every segment of Nintendo's E3 press conference and cringed every time Cammie Dunaway took the stage. What an annoying bitch. Enough with the hand gestures and driving every point into the ground!

Playstation 3
The big exclusive game here is of course God Of War III. I do not own a PS3 and do not know of the PS3 offerings at E3. Feel free to fill me in of any other noteworthy future titles.
Last edited by MadMind on Tue Jun 09, 2009 12:24 am, edited 2 times in total.
MadMind
Forum God/Goddess

Re: E3 2009

Postby Shipley » Mon Jun 08, 2009 7:13 am

Sony had a few big games, including the new Gran Turismo, Final Fantasy 13 & 14, Heavy Rain, a new Metal Gear for PSP, a new PSP, and lets not forget Uncharted.
Shipley
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TAsunder » Mon Jun 08, 2009 8:11 am

Not sure I agree with your assessment about core gamers and physicality. The wii doesn't attract more hard core gamers because the hardware is inferior (graphics, sound, networking I mean), and because the wiimote controls in most games are terrible - significantly worse than using a GC controller. If Natal gets the control schemes right and provides a good enough API to use it effectively, I think it will attract people. I'm already interested enough to want to see more.
TAsunder
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Mon Jun 08, 2009 9:03 am

Natal looks like a juiced up Eye Toy. And I can't see it being any less lame that that. The PS3 motion control they demoed was true 1:1. I think I'll stick to my dual shock and leave the arm flailing to my dusty Wii.
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Shipley » Mon Jun 08, 2009 11:15 am

Natal in reality is lightyears ahead of what the Wii promised, let along what it currently delivers.

its a different ballgame. Wii will retain its market standing I'm sure, but Natal is so vastly different it doesn't compare. Wii will keep it simple, Natal will jump forward, theres a market for both.

the PS3 demo looked good, but they had NO software, which means just like the Sixaxis, they're revealed tech without getting it to people who makes games first.
Shipley
Forum God/Goddess

Postby MadMind » Tue Jun 09, 2009 6:24 pm

The more I think about it, the more doubtful I am of the potential of this 2nd-wave of motion-sensing controls.
But it does however make me excited for the future. It pleases me that game companies are constantly pushing that boundary.

Each step taken is one step closer to full-on virtual sex! :lol:

TAsunder wrote:Not sure I agree with your assessment about core gamers and physicality. The wii doesn't attract more hard core gamers because the hardware is inferior (graphics, sound, networking I mean).

I mentioned the physicality involved as only one of the reasons core gamers stray from the Wii, the inferior hardware is of course another big roadblock.
MadMind
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TAsunder » Wed Jun 10, 2009 9:45 am

MadMind wrote:I mentioned the physicality involved as only one of the reasons core gamers stray from the Wii, the inferior hardware is of course another big roadblock.

And I disagreed. There are plenty of core gamers who play stuff like DDR already. Of course your definition of core gamer may be gamers who are morbidly obese and refuse to move more than 6 inches in any day, in which case I would agree. Otherwise, not so much. Rock Band & DDR are (or were for a period anyway) adored by just about every serious gamer I've ever met.
TAsunder
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Shipley » Wed Jun 10, 2009 3:14 pm

Core gamers need PRECISION. DDR was and is popular because thats what it offered. Guitar Hero likewise.

Wii slides from favor because you can't count on a shake to be precise.
Shipley
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TAsunder » Wed Jun 10, 2009 3:20 pm

Shipley wrote:Core gamers need PRECISION. DDR was and is popular because thats what it offered. Guitar Hero likewise.

Wii slides from favor because you can't count on a shake to be precise.

Exactly. Similar to what I wrote above about inferior controls :)
TAsunder
Forum God/Goddess

Postby MadMind » Wed Jun 10, 2009 6:53 pm

Precision controls with the least amount of effort should be the goal. I didn't mean to infer that all core gamers are obese or out of shape, but many of us are lazy.
TAsunder wrote:There are plenty of core gamers who play stuff like DDR already.

Core-gamer and DDR and two words which should never be spoken in the same sentence! Blasphemy!
MadMind
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Shipley » Thu Jun 11, 2009 10:03 am

I hate to pull the "more hardcore than you" card, but I know guys who spend more money on games than rent, and they like the DDR.
Shipley
Forum God/Goddess

Postby MadMind » Thu Jun 11, 2009 6:59 pm

Shipley wrote:I hate to pull the "more hardcore than you" card, but I know guys who spend more money on games than rent, and they like the DDR.

I said core gamer, not homosexual losers.
Now let's get back to the subject at hand, shall we?
MadMind
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Shipley » Thu Jun 11, 2009 8:28 pm

fuck right off Mad Mind.

You're so fucking sad you're not even worth making fun of anymore.
Shipley
Forum God/Goddess

Return to Technology & Video Games