MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Sunday, December 28, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 19.0° F  Fair
Collapse Photo Bar

Movies nobody but you likes

Comment on the Isthmus movie reviews, write one yourself, discuss upcoming flicks, recent DVDs, and other realms in the world of cinema.

Re: Movies nobody but you likes

Postby TheBookPolice » Wed Jun 10, 2009 12:46 pm

fisticuffs wrote:Idiocracy. Don't see why anyone wouldn't like this movie. Clever concept. Infinitely quotable.

Y'know when I liked Idiocracy? When it was Futurama.

Mmm-hm.
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby wallrock » Wed Jun 10, 2009 1:02 pm

TheBookPolice wrote:
fisticuffs wrote:Idiocracy. Don't see why anyone wouldn't like this movie. Clever concept. Infinitely quotable.

Y'know when I liked Idiocracy? When it was Futurama.

Mmm-hm.

Speaking of which, it sounds like Comedy Central is bringing Futurama back. To quote Zoidberg, "Hurray!"
wallrock
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jammybastard » Wed Jun 10, 2009 1:54 pm

back on topic...

"Until the End of the World"
jammybastard
Forum God/Goddess

Postby pjbogart » Wed Jun 10, 2009 5:27 pm

fisticuffs wrote:Event Horizon. Don't know why I like I just do

I like Event Horizon too. It's got a fairly unique plot. A space ship travels through a man-made black hole in order to travel vast distances instantaneously... but where does it actually go when it disappears??? Through hell... that's where!

I think the effects and acting are actually quite good. I'm not sure why people don't like it.
pjbogart
Forum God/Goddess

Postby MadMind » Sat Jun 13, 2009 1:40 am

This list is off to a bad start. These are not films that you and nobody else like people.
I (and many others) enjoy the following movies;
Better Off Dead, Beautiful Girls, Event Horizon, Idiocracy, Invaders From Mars, Lake Placid, Point Break, Roadhouse, Roxanne, Salem's Lot, Silver Bullet, Summer School, The Fifth Element, The Last Boy Scout, The Pick Up Artist, and Xanadu.
I also like the Kevin Costner flicks Waterworld and The Postman, Tom Hanks flicks Volunteers and Joe Versus The Volcano, and Wesley Snipes flicks King Of New York, White Men Can't Jump, and Demoltion Man.

Speaking of buddy cop movies, that's probably the last time you'll ever see the pairing of Billy Crystal & Gregory Hines [Running Scared], Keanu Reeves & Gary Busey (and Patrick Swayze in anything) [Point Break], Bruce Willis & Damon Wayans [The Last Boy Scout], or Sylvester Stallone & Kurt Russell [Tango & Cash].

Bwis53 wrote:Big Trouble in Little China
My family's favorite junk movie. We can walk in at any time.

"Junk Movie"!?! BTLC is a cult classic! I purchased the out-of-print 2-disc special edition off of ebay, and even bought the Jack Burton 'Chinamen design' T-Shirt off of Wingkong.net. It's coming to Region 1 Blu-Ray August 4th! Many fans (including myself) would've loved to have seen a sequel, but unfortunately BTLC didn't do very well at the box office.
crevice beatle wrote:For the most part the theme seems to be films that involve Stallone that I loved as a kid but wasn't sophisticated enough at the time to realize they are garbage - and choose to say I still like them because I don't want to turn my back on my youth.
Rocky IV (James Brown cameo...and training montage in Russia, are you kidding me??? AND, he practically ends the cold war with his moving post victory speech :D )

Rocky IV is golden in my book. It's my favorite post-original Rocky movie. As a 10-11 year old kid when I saw the movie in theaters, it inspired me to workout and jog around the block and such. The soundtrack is also great in it's own right. I haven't stopped liking "Training Montage" by Vince DiCola since I first got the cassette in 1985, and it seems I wasn't the only one since covers of the song have now been showing up from artists like the Northern Kings and guitarist Rick Graham.
Shipley wrote:Ghostbusters 2 doesn't get enough credit.
Galaxy Quest is hilarious to anyone who bothers to see it, though many skip based on Tim Allen in the lead, missing Alan Rickman, Sam Rockwell, and Tony Shaloub in the best comedy roles they'll ever have.
I like Jackie Brown the best of all Tarantino movies.

I'm going to have to agree with Ship here.
Ghostbusters 2 isn't that bad. The Ghostbusters 3 script is in the works according to Harold Ramis who was just on Jimmy Fallon tonight.
I never bothered to watch Galaxy Quest until it was on cable, and it really is a solid and entertaining movie! I especially like the end when they make a crash landing into the convention.
I think Tarantino is overrated, never cared for Pulp Fiction. But Jackie Brown is another story, and a much better movie.

Violet_Skye wrote:Envy, Jack Black and Ben Stiller

Yeah, you're alone on that one. That movie really was terrible!
Prof. Wagstaff wrote:
BrianV66 wrote:Three Amigos

If only you were the only person who liked this barrel-scraping dreck-fest! I seem to be one of the only people on the planet (besides the critics) who thought this movie sucked -- everyone I know seems to think it's some sort of comedic masterpiece. Ick.

I am with you Wags. I never liked that movie! I cringed when everyone spoke so admirably of it on VH1's 'I Love The 80's' like it's part of our cultural fabric.
MadMind
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ned Flounders » Sat Jun 13, 2009 6:57 am

jammybastard wrote:back on topic...

"Until the End of the World"

My wife and I both like that one a lot. I would love to see the new 3-DVD version.

Anybody else for Timothy Dalton and "The Living Daylights" as the best Bond flick?
Ned Flounders
Forum God/Goddess

Postby bluethedog » Sat Jun 13, 2009 8:07 am

Stone Cold.

Clarification: "The Boz" in Stone Cold
bluethedog
Forum God/Goddess

Postby boston_jeff » Sat Jun 13, 2009 9:14 am

bluethedog wrote:Stone Cold.

Exactly, this is a movie that few people would admit to liking at a cocktail party. Lance Henriksen and William Forsythe are amazing.

God forgives. The Brotherhood doesn't.
boston_jeff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby boston_jeff » Sat Jun 13, 2009 9:20 am

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0097503/

I read in the paper where the circus was in town.
boston_jeff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby bluethedog » Sat Jun 13, 2009 9:28 am

Right back atcha with one of my favorite TV movies from the 70's:

Bad Ronald

It seemed plausible to my 10 yr old self.
bluethedog
Forum God/Goddess

Postby boston_jeff » Sat Jun 13, 2009 9:40 am

Holy shit.
boston_jeff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby O.J. » Sat Jun 13, 2009 9:59 am

boston_jeff wrote:

Exactly, this is a movie that few people would admit to liking at a cocktail party. Lance Henriksen and William Forsythe are amazing.

The funny thing is, that isn't even the best bad movie featuring William Forsythe and an ex-football player. Firestorm with Howie Long takes the cake. Action goes Long, baby!
O.J.
Forum God/Goddess

Postby crevice beatle » Sat Jun 13, 2009 10:36 am

crevice beatle
Forum Addict

Postby boston_jeff » Sat Jun 13, 2009 11:13 am

O.J. wrote:
boston_jeff wrote:

The funny thing is, that isn't even the best bad movie featuring William Forsythe and an ex-football player. Firestorm with Howie Long takes the cake. Action goes Long, baby!

I think the William Forsythe scene in Deuce Bigalow where he admits he feels inadequate as a man because he has a 'thin penis" is Oscar worthy.
boston_jeff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Right Bower » Mon Jun 15, 2009 11:06 am

Has anyone mentioned "Wolf?" I'm too lazy to read through 6 pages.

Nicholson's best.
Right Bower
Forum Addict

PreviousNext

Return to Movies