MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Monday, September 22, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 68.0° F  A Few Clouds
Collapse Photo Bar

Where will you travel to in 2009?

We want to hear about your adventures, be they from Istanbul, Ixtapa or Ixonia. And hey, you might even find someone you can sell your extra Euros to.

Where will you travel to in 2009?

Postby Madsci » Sun Jun 14, 2009 12:03 am

So where will you travel to in 2009?

I plan to stay within 300 - 400 miles of home in 2009. But in 2010, I may be traveling to the other side of this planet.
Madsci
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Where will you travel to in 2009?

Postby boston_jeff » Sun Jun 14, 2009 12:22 pm

Spent a few days in Madrid in 2009, been to Boston, Vail, Denver, Columbus (IN), Cincinnati, Cleveland. Going to Minneapolis in a few days, Washington DC in July, Boston again in August. Two possible Fall trips: Hawaii or Portland/Seattle/Vancouver (frequent flyer miles). 2010: Outer Banks, NC and Korea.

I love travel.
boston_jeff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby buckyor » Sun Jun 14, 2009 1:25 pm

Going to DC the end of this month/beginning of the next (a work trip). Went to Cancun and Isla Mujeres Mexico in March.
buckyor
Forum God/Goddess

Postby mrak » Sun Jun 14, 2009 2:05 pm

Like lots of people, we're watching expenses more closely this year, but managed find a decent fare to Las Vegas in a couple of months.

We also have some friends who have moved west (one to San Francisco, and a couple to Boulder), so we'll be keeping an eye on fares to visit either city.
mrak
Forum God/Goddess

Postby nevermore » Sun Jun 14, 2009 2:44 pm

mrs. nevermore and I plan on road-tripping in October - Cleveland, upstate NY, spending some time with relatives in New Hampshire and Maine and then some quality time dorking around Poor-Man's France (aka Quebec).
nevermore
Forum God/Goddess

Postby mrak » Sun Jun 14, 2009 2:51 pm

nevermore wrote:Poor-Man's France (aka Quebec).

This is a great idea. It hadn't occurred to me that I could use my half-assed knowledge of French to make a fool of myself on more than one continent.
mrak
Forum God/Goddess

Postby boston_jeff » Sun Jun 14, 2009 3:10 pm

mrak wrote:

This is a great idea. It hadn't occurred to me that I could use my half-assed knowledge of French to make a fool of myself on more than one continent.

That you will, I know we did when we visited Quebec (and France). Even when they are being nice, you feel like Clark W. Griswald.
boston_jeff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Sun Jun 14, 2009 3:35 pm

So far this year I've been to Arizona for a week to visit my dad and stepmom and for a long weekend in Las Vegas (saw Criss Angel). Maybe Hawaii in December for a week's cruise among the islands and to watch the Badgers play the Warriors. Haven't been out of the country since December when Ms Vilas and I vacationed on St. Martin, FWI.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby boston_jeff » Sun Jun 14, 2009 3:38 pm

Henry Vilas wrote:So far this year I've been to Arizona for a week to visit my dad and stepmom and for a long weekend in Las Vegas (saw Criss Angel). Maybe Hawaii in December for a week's cruise among the islands and to watch the Badgers play the Warriors. Haven't been out of the country since December when Ms Vilas and I vacationed on St. Martin, FWI.

Great idea, maybe I'll go to that game too!
boston_jeff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby buckyor » Sun Jun 14, 2009 4:54 pm

nevermore wrote:mrs. nevermore and I plan on road-tripping in October - Cleveland, upstate NY, spending some time with relatives in New Hampshire and Maine and then some quality time dorking around Poor-Man's France (aka Quebec).

So where in Maine are you going?

October is a good time to be in New England. Of course, rumor has it May and June are too. Not sure where that rumor got started.
buckyor
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Thusnelda » Sun Jun 14, 2009 6:01 pm

After last year, the Minnesota State Fair is tops on my list. Hoo boy.

Might also make it out to Seattle to see family, explore a bit, but NOT toss fish around ("it bruises the flesh" says my favorite fishmonger).

Also, I had never really considered going to Tennessee, but Memphis is actually pretty close. Maybe Nashville, too. I'm not much of a country fan, but I do love me some sequins, and when you're there, you're there, eh?
Thusnelda
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Violet_Skye » Sun Jun 14, 2009 6:15 pm

New Orleans in May to visit my daughter, and probably there again in the fall. Would like to squeeze in a trip to Virginia and/or NYC this summer to see other family too.
Violet_Skye
Forum God/Goddess

Postby nevermore » Sun Jun 14, 2009 7:22 pm

buckyor wrote:
nevermore wrote:mrs. nevermore and I plan on road-tripping in October - Cleveland, upstate NY, spending some time with relatives in New Hampshire and Maine and then some quality time dorking around Poor-Man's France (aka Quebec).

So where in Maine are you going?

October is a good time to be in New England. Of course, rumor has it May and June are too. Not sure where that rumor got started.

Since both of my parents came from Portland, I've got tons of family saying stay the hell away from November through May. But I've been up there times before.

I think I may swing by Bangor on my route. If you're up to it (as it'll be during the World Series - as I know the Cubs will be in it) I may perhaps call on you to join me to watch a game.
nevermore
Forum God/Goddess

Postby nevermore » Sun Jun 14, 2009 7:24 pm

boston_jeff wrote:
mrak wrote:

That you will, I know we did when we visited Quebec (and France). Even when they are being nice, you feel like Clark W. Griswald.

Funny. I've been treated better by the waiters in Paris than the ones in Monteal. And I hear when you get out of that "International" city that it gets worse. I'm looking forward to seeing if that's true.
nevermore
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ned Flanders » Sun Jun 14, 2009 8:55 pm

I will make my yearly visit to an East Coast barrier island which has bravely bucked the "tide" of man made rising seas.
Ned Flanders
Forum God/Goddess

Next

Return to Travel