MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Monday, September 1, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 77.0° F  Mostly Cloudy
Collapse Photo Bar

Forum's lackluster layout

Comments on the paper, the website, the mobile site and all other Isthmus-generated products go here.

Re: Forum's lackluster layout

Postby TAsunder » Wed Jun 17, 2009 1:40 pm

fisticuffs wrote:
Also, where's the button that indicates "I like this post" or "I agree" or "thanks for the post" or "rate this positively".
It's another common and useful function; people can show support and consensus without having to add an entire new post.

I think those ratings systems are meaningless and useless. If you want to add to the conversation then do it. Clicking a thumbs up may make you feel good but it doesn't do the forum any good.

It can be done well. It is done well on many sites. Fatwallet, for example. I don't even look at threads that don't have a positive rating there, because the rating system is fairly accurate. Good content filtering to the top is one of those ideals of web usability...
TAsunder
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Wed Jun 17, 2009 1:40 pm

If you need a way to gauge how awesome or not awesome your posts are just ask yourself "Did my post make Flanders run from the thread with his tail between his legs?" If the answer is "yes" then you have made a good post.
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Wed Jun 17, 2009 1:48 pm

I've advocated for Scoop here in the past, but I don't know how costly it is upfront, nor do I know how much administration it requires at a server level. But being able to donut the shit out of some trolly posts would certainly ease the hour-to-hour playground monitor burdens of jjoyce, et al.
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Wed Jun 17, 2009 1:55 pm

've advocated for Scoop here in the past, but I don't know how costly it is upfront, nor do I know how much administration it requires at a server level. But being able to donut the shit out of some trolly posts would certainly ease the hour-to-hour playground monitor burdens of jjoyce, et al.

You'd hope it would turn out that way. Look at any Yahoo comment section or CBS. I don't like that the loudest most obnoxious voices set the content. For example. a 13 year old can go on any given topic (usually not related to politics, and post something like Obama is a chicken eating Communist. That post gets bumped up by all the other moron 12 year olds. Meanwhile any descent on that "opinion" no matter how eloquent and factual will get voted down by the same retarded racists and become invisible. I'd rather have a human doing that job as objectively as possible like what we have here.
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Wed Jun 17, 2009 1:59 pm

fisticuffs wrote:
TheBookPolice wrote:I've advocated for Scoop here in the past, but I don't know how costly it is upfront, nor do I know how much administration it requires at a server level. But being able to donut the shit out of some trolly posts would certainly ease the hour-to-hour playground monitor burdens of jjoyce, et al.

You'd hope it would turn out that way. Look at any Yahoo comment section or CBS. I don't like that the loudest most obnoxious voices set the content. For example. a 13 year old can go on any given topic (usually not related to politics, and post something like Obama is a chicken eating Communist. That post gets bumped up by all the other moron 12 year olds. Meanwhile any descent on that "opinion" no matter how eloquent and factual will get voted down by the same retarded racists and become invisible. I'd rather have a human doing that job as objectively as possible like what we have here.

This'll get Ned's undies all in a bunch, but it seems to work pretty well on Daily Kos. I wouldn't say they're any more universally like-minded than Foronistan is over here, and they definitely get their share of knuckleheads from within and without. The truly useless/tasteless ones get tamped down pretty fast.
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby donges » Wed Jun 17, 2009 2:41 pm

Dairylander wrote:Also, where's the button that indicates "I like this post" or "I agree" or "thanks for the post" or "rate this positively".
It's another common and useful function; people can show support and consensus without having to add an entire new post.

phpBB (software upon which this forum is built) doesn't support this sort of interaction.
donges
Forum God/Goddess

Previous

Return to Comments on Isthmus & isthmus.com