MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Friday, December 19, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 26.0° F  Overcast
Collapse Photo Bar

iPhone and ATT

Wiis, PlayStations, iPads, blogging platforms, Facebook and anything else worthy of buzz in the digital world.

iPhone and ATT

Postby HeyZeus » Tue Jun 23, 2009 8:27 pm

Ok, I'm finally considering an iPhone.

My biggest hesitation has been phone coverage once you're out of Madison, especially west of the city.

I've heard good and bad. Anyone care to chime in?
HeyZeus
Forum God/Goddess

Re: iPhone and ATT

Postby Thusnelda » Tue Jun 23, 2009 8:42 pm

It's been pretty good for me. There are certainly patches where it's out, but I think the only one was when I was trying to use my GPS in Dodgeville, and even then it was okay.

I've been fine taking it all the way to the Mississippi and beyond.
Thusnelda
Forum God/Goddess

Postby mrak » Tue Jun 23, 2009 8:58 pm

Overall, it hasn't been as bad as I had expected.

There are places in central Wisconsin (Marathon, Wood and Clark counties, where my in-laws live) where it falls far short of my previous carrier, U.S. Cellular - but they weren't without their dead spots either.

And I also find myself surprised by how much better it has been in some places, particularly up north (where AT&T bought out the Cellular One carrier up there a few years back).

So, bottom line: AT&T maybe not ideal, but by no means awful.
mrak
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fennel » Tue Jun 23, 2009 9:24 pm

mrak wrote:So, bottom line: AT&T maybe not ideal, but by no means awful.
And by no means lawful.

When it comes to wiretapping, anyway.
fennel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Shipley » Tue Jun 23, 2009 9:28 pm

Coverage in WI for me has been pretty great.

Only time it go spotty was in much larger metro areas: LA and Baltimore.
Shipley
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Pogoagogo » Wed Jun 24, 2009 8:52 am

No real problems for me. I still have a gen 1 iPhone. It's worked just fine between Madison and Denver, and Madison to NYC. The only time I've been frustrated and without service was in Spring Green last summer, on the golf course.
Pogoagogo
Forum Addict

Postby fisticuffs » Wed Jun 24, 2009 9:34 am

I've had At&T for around 7 years. I had them through ATT then Cingular then back to ATT. The service has gotten a lot better. A few years ago if you went west on HWY 12 you pretty much lost service 2 miles outside of Middleton until LaCrosse. Today it is much much better. Locally US Cell cant be beat for coverage but try your US cell phone anywhere outside of the midwest and you're in trouble. I can't say I like ATT customer service or their pricing but they aren't too out of line. You can do better certainly but thats always the case. The iPhone however is fantastic. It makes up for whatever shortcomings ATT presents. It is retarded that ATT hasnt yet turned on MMS for the iPhone. Just ridiculous but...... I can sure as hell email that pic or upload it to twenty different places on the web just as easily so it's not like its stuck on your phone forever.

So yeah. Love the iPhone. Tolerate ATT.
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby eriedasch » Wed Jun 24, 2009 10:45 am

fennel wrote:
mrak wrote:So, bottom line: AT&T maybe not ideal, but by no means awful.
And by no means lawful.

When it comes to wiretapping, anyway.

Agreed. I could never give my money to a company that happily supports gov't wiretapping and using customer info for political gain.

From a couple years ago, but still relevant as far as I'm concerned:
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/timothy-k ... 67992.html
eriedasch
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jjoyce » Wed Jun 24, 2009 11:49 am

I have AT&T, but not an iPhone. I observed last night that I get better reception in downtown Mazomanie than in downtown Madison.
jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Postby HeyZeus » Wed Jun 24, 2009 12:43 pm

Thanks y'all.

One more question: Do I just go to the Apple Store (love them) or do I go talk to the choads at the phone store? I will have to move my number to ATT from US Cellular.

I really don't want to leave USC, but I'm itching for an iPhone. When I've traveled, I pay for roaming, but my USC service has always been there.
HeyZeus
Forum God/Goddess

Postby mrak » Wed Jun 24, 2009 12:58 pm

HeyZeus wrote:One more question: Do I just go to the Apple Store (love them) or do I go talk to the choads at the phone store? I will have to move my number to ATT from US Cellular.

I really don't want to leave USC, but I'm itching for an iPhone. When I've traveled, I pay for roaming, but my USC service has always been there.

It shouldn't matter much which store you go to - I went to AT&T because they were on my side of town. But I'm sure Apple can do the same things, like porting over your existing number, so if you like the Apple store better, you should go with that.

I dreaded and hated canceling my US Cell service after 8 years, just because they'd been as good to me as one can expect of a wireless carrier. I made sure they knew I was canceling only because I wanted an iPhone, which I guess is like saying, "It's not you, it's me," except that I meant it.
mrak
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Wed Jun 24, 2009 1:03 pm

Im also pretty sure they can port your number over and set up all your services. They couldn't however change our text messaging plan when I bought the 3GS over the weekend. Have to go to ATT for that. Being new service you probably shouldn't have any need to go to ATT though.
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TAsunder » Wed Jun 24, 2009 1:22 pm

When I bought the V1 I had to go to the AT&T store after buying the phone at Apple. The AT&T stores on the west side were sold out on Saturday when I was there to try to change my plan.
TAsunder
Forum God/Goddess

Postby mrak » Wed Jun 24, 2009 1:30 pm

TAsunder wrote:When I bought the V1 I had to go to the AT&T store after buying the phone at Apple.

I think that may have been standard practice during the early part of those first iPhones' run. Activation at Apple stores was available by the time the 3G hit the market.

I know that they've also gone back and forth allowing activation through your copy of iTunes, but even if that is currently available, I wouldn't try it if anything beyond the basics - like number portability - is a consideration.
mrak
Forum God/Goddess

Postby HeyZeus » Wed Jun 24, 2009 2:33 pm

I'm sold. Thanks for the advice. Keep it coming if you want to chime in.

I'll probably wait for the 3GS buzz to die down a bit, but in a couple weeks, I'll be able to twitter from the sh*tter.
HeyZeus
Forum God/Goddess

Next

Return to Technology & Video Games