MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Monday, September 22, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 70.0° F  A Few Clouds
Collapse Photo Bar

iPhone and ATT

Wiis, PlayStations, iPads, blogging platforms, Facebook and anything else worthy of buzz in the digital world.

Re: iPhone and ATT

Postby fisticuffs » Wed Jun 24, 2009 2:37 pm

I'll probably wait for the 3GS buzz to die down a bit

No real need. I thought the same thing but we went in Saturday after it was released and the phones were plentiful and the service fast despite them selling a million of those things over the weekend.
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Wed Jun 24, 2009 2:39 pm

You may also want to invest in one of these to protect it:
http://www.ideal-case.com/iphone-3g/lux ... urple.html
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby HeyZeus » Wed Jun 24, 2009 3:01 pm

fisticuffs wrote:You may also want to invest in one of these to protect it:
http://www.ideal-case.com/iphone-3g/lux ... urple.html

OOOO! Sparkly!
HeyZeus
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Beer Moon » Tue Jun 30, 2009 12:27 pm

The phones were not plentiful.

I finally gave in and got one less than a month ago and I wanted to get it swapped for a 3GS. I stopped in the day they were released and they were out. The rep told me I was fine b/c I had purchased after May 8 which was the cutoff for qualifying for the upgrade (I purchased May 25), and not to worry if they didn't have them in stock right away - I was qualified to upgrade for only the restocking fee of $10 (10% of the NEW cost of the 8G 3G I purchased). I felt good about it and he suggested I try again the next day - they were expecting more.

On Saturday, I went in when they opened. The person told me no they didn't have any more, and that they didn't know if there were going to be any more in stock. She said the UPS guy had not come yet, and that they had no idea if there were going to be any new phones coming in that day. She told me the only way to get a 3GS would be to "pre-order" it. I did not point out to her that it is not possible to "pre-order" something that is already released. I said fine, I'll do that. They took me over to order the phone for me, and then asked me to pay them $200. I declined, having just given them $350+, for the $200 phone and activation and first month's charges in the last month. It was only supposed to cost $10!!! I said I would try back Monday.

Monday and Wednesday again no phones, and again I was told I had to "pre-order" and pay to get one because they didn't have stock and probably weren't getting any. Thursday - same thing, and ON TOP OF ALL THAT, on Thursday the rep told me that I no longer qualified for the 3GS upgrade because my 30 days were up.

The only consistent thing I was told was that they didn't have any of the product they were "selling" in stock, and that I could "pre-order" it after it was released by paying them $200 that I did not actually have to pay. I don't have enough profanity to express how I feel about how I was treated by the AT&T store.

AT&T sucks, their policies with Apple on the upgrades suck, and quite frankly, the iPhone is not all that great.

You can't run background apps, the apps I use most crash often (Facebook, Email, NetNewsWire), accessing basic functions like enabling/disabling bluetooth and wifi (necessary to preserve what little battery life it offers) are painfully difficult, and the battery lasts for only one day. The shiny screen sucks a lot, making it nearly impossible to read in daylight. The camera is shitty for a $200 phone. You can't install apps unless apple approves them. Doing things over 3G is so slow that it actually discourages me from using it! When trying to stream through Pandora and SimplyMusic2 over 3G to my car stereo, a horrificly annoying high-pitched squealing was coming through my car speakers, making it unlistenable.

Worse than any of that, NO FLASH SUPPORT!! "Internet" device my ass.

Some of this I knew going in. I thought I would get over it (no multi-tasking, low battery life) due to all the things I could do on it - but I haven't. I'll be moving to a Pre or an Android device when this contract is up.

The AT&T coverage has been better than I expected.
Beer Moon
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Tue Jun 30, 2009 1:02 pm

enabling/disabling bluetooth and wifi (necessary to preserve what little battery life it offers) are painfully difficult

Painfully difficult? Really? Its like 2 clicks into the settings. Maybe you shouldn't be using a smart phone at all.

NO FLASH SUPPORT!!

Show me a device that has it. Android will soon I hear but iPhone won't be far behind.
The shiny screen sucks a lot, making it nearly impossible to read in daylight.

I don't find that to be the case whatsoever.

Doing things over 3G is so slow that it actually discourages me from using it!

Compared to what exactly? Is it slower than Wifi? Yes. Is it slow compared to other 3G devices? Nope. It's quick enough even out in the sticks for me to use any internet relying apps like mail and facebook.
You can't run background apps

Jailbreak the phone and run some background apps and see how you feel about that battery life. Outside of maybe running Pandora while doing other stuff on the phone what would be the point. I can close and launch apps in seconds. Not sure what would need to run in the background. You get push notifications for some allowing you to use chat clients and the like sort of as background processes.
When trying to stream through Pandora and SimplyMusic2 over 3G to my car stereo, a horrificly annoying high-pitched squealing was coming through my car speakers, making it unlistenable.

That's becasue this is a cell phone. You can turn off the wireless or do as I do and use a direct wired connection to the car stereo which only sounds a thousand times better than those wireless devices. No interference even when I set the phone directly under the car stereo.

As for the rest yes ATT sucks. You should have just walked into the Apple store first. They had stock. You could have walked out with your phone and then done your battle with ATT on the upgrade charges. Although if you didn't know a new iPhone was coming when you purchased you really didn't do much research and have no one to blame but yourself.
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TAsunder » Tue Jun 30, 2009 1:22 pm

Your ordeal sounds quite crappy. Apple has had them in stock but that doesn't help you (I think?).

Facebook, email, NetNewsWire should not be crashing that often. I can't remember the last time I had Facebook crash. I often am annoyed that it doesn't support a feature (e.g. becoming a fan of something) though. I only occasionally get any crash at all. That could be a bad device or it may need a restore.

I went from a V1 to a 3GS and the speed is quite nice. It's still annoying how long it takes to initially connect to the network, but otherwise this thing is quite speedy. Never saw the 3G so I can't compare, but the V1 was painfully slow in most cases. Additionally, web usability is still a long way off from good. I think Jakob Nielsen equated mobile usability with web usability back in 1994, before anyone knew how to do anything.

I think there are only a handful of apps that should be allowed to run in the background. I don't mind that they can't by default, but agree that Pandora should be able to run that way.

Not sure why you are getting a squealing noise. I have never had that issue with my V1 or 3GS in my car. Maybe your wires and speakers aren't shielded? I don't even turn on airplane mode. If you end up with a different smart phone, you'll want a non-GSM one I guess, because that is a common GSM issue. Sprint and Verizon should be immune to this.

I don't think the Pre or Android have Flash either. This is a well-publicized issue/argument. Flash lite isn't good enough and Flash full takes up way too much processing power to be usable. Maybe that has changed with the 3GS and Pre (same hardware, more or less).

The Pre does look pretty great, though. If the app store ever has the huge variety that the Apple one does, it would be a very competitive device. It already is better in a lot of ways.

Overall I like the 3GS quite a bit. I wish the voice command thing worked over bluetooth, though. Will this be the next copy and paste (i.e. we'll wait 2 years to get it)?
TAsunder
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Tue Jun 30, 2009 1:26 pm

enabling/disabling bluetooth and wifi (necessary to preserve what little battery life it offers) are painfully difficult

Also this doesn't make any sense at all. Using 3G wastes far more battery than using the WiFi. How would disabling Wifi and relying more on 3G extend your battery life?
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Beer Moon » Tue Jun 30, 2009 1:30 pm

fisticuffs wrote:

Painfully difficult? Really? Its like 2 clicks into the settings. Maybe you shouldn't be using a smart phone at all.

Yes I agree with you that it is necessary. Anything you need to do frequently needs to be very simple (ideally - automatic!). So much for Apple's vaunted ease of use. They created a super easy to use device in 2006 that doesn't let you create your own shortcuts, and no mechanism for creating settings to tell the services to turn off when not in use. Brilliant!

NO FLASH SUPPORT!!

Show me a device that has it. Android will soon I hear but iPhone won't be far behind.

There are already apps for the G1 that support Flash, and there is an app you can install on a jailbroken phone to get it on the iPhone already.

The shiny screen sucks a lot, making it nearly impossible to read in daylight.

I don't find that to be the case whatsoever.

How do you get around seeing through massive glare on a high-gloss surface with any direct lighting reflecting off of it? Do you deny that glossy screens reflect light?

Doing things over 3G is so slow that it actually discourages me from using it!

Compared to what exactly? Is it slower than Wifi? Yes. Is it slow compared to other 3G devices? Nope. It's quick enough even out in the sticks for me to use any internet relying apps like mail and facebook.

I'd never call it "quick". I can see why the commercials were banned in Europe though. Real-life usage rarely represents the snappy response shown in the commercials. Maybe this is what I'm smarting from - I EXPECTED it to act much faster. I agree that WiFi is great - that is probably what spoils the 3G for me now and then.

You can't run background apps

Jailbreak the phone and run some background apps and see how you feel about that battery life. Outside of maybe running Pandora while doing other stuff on the phone what would be the point. I can close and launch apps in seconds. Not sure what would need to run in the background. You get push notifications for some allowing you to use chat clients and the like sort of as background processes.

You assume no developer is capable of creating a background app intelligent enough to not constantly suck battery life. You also assume Apple is not capable of creating guidelines for battery consumption for background applications. Both incorrect assumptions. The fact is, the iPhone USES background services today, it's just that we only get to use the ones Apple thinks are important.

I may indeed have to jailbreak it.

When trying to stream through Pandora and SimplyMusic2 over 3G to my car stereo, a horrificly annoying high-pitched squealing was coming through my car speakers, making it unlistenable.

That's becasue this is a cell phone. You can turn off the wireless or do as I do and use a direct wired connection to the car stereo which only sounds a thousand times better than those wireless devices. No interference even when I set the phone directly under the car stereo.

It is hooked directly into my stereo using a USB plug and the proprietary Apple charging cord. You fail to understand the cause of the problem.

As for the rest yes ATT sucks. You should have just walked into the Apple store first. They had stock. You could have walked out with your phone and then done your battle with ATT on the upgrade charges. Although if you didn't know a new iPhone was coming when you purchased you really didn't do much research and have no one to blame but yourself.

I knew full well a new one was coming out. Last time Apple and AT&T offered upgrades to recent purchasers. I expected them to do the same with this - and based on the policies I have read - I was correct.

What pisses me off is that they want me to give them $200 because they are unwilling to stock the phone appropriately so that I could pay the $10 restocking fee instead. Meanwhile Apple is sitting on stock just waiting to ship it - and during this period of time, I continue to get different answers from the service reps regarding the policies, and I basically am asked to pay for 2 phones - and threatened that I will not get an upgrade at all.

They don't trust me to return my current phone, and I have to pay them $200 to have it shipped to me - AND IT'S NOT LIKE THEY'D HAVE A HARD TIME SELLING IT IF I BACKED DOWN - they can't even keep the damn thing in stock - or get it in stock - whichever story happens to be true.

What is the purpose of asking me to pay $200 to have it shipped? I fail to see the logic in this policy. I'm a customer and I have requested a product from them. ORDER IT AND CALL ME WHEN IT GETS IN LIKE ANY OTHER FUCKING STORE. Most stores do that even when you DON'T have a 2-year $1200 contract signed with them.
Beer Moon
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TAsunder » Tue Jun 30, 2009 1:34 pm

Beer Moon wrote:How do you get around seeing through massive glare on a high-gloss surface with any direct lighting reflecting off of it? Do you deny that glossy screens reflect light?

You can get screen protectors with a matte finish that will eliminate this issue.
TAsunder
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Tue Jun 30, 2009 1:45 pm

It is hooked directly into my stereo using a USB plug and the proprietary Apple charging cord. You fail to understand the cause of the problem.

Then you have shitty car speakers with poor shielding.

I knew full well a new one was coming out.

Then why didn't you hold off for a month? Did you want more to deal with? Sorry you could have easily prevented that headache. When ATT told you to pre-order one why didnt you just walk into the Apple store and buy one? When there is a contract and a heavy subsidy on the product its never as simple as just swapping it out.
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Shipley » Tue Jun 30, 2009 2:11 pm

Settings -> Wifi -> Off

PAINFULLY DIFFICULT. THREE WHOLE FUCKING TAPS AND ALMOST 6 SECONDS OF MY LIFE WASTED.
Shipley
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TAsunder » Tue Jun 30, 2009 2:19 pm

Four taps if you include home. I believe the pre has it as an option by tapping on the wi fi icon in the header though. That would be a bit better I guess... but until you can play Knights Onrush and Fieldrunners on a Pre, what good is it, I ask you?
TAsunder
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Beer Moon » Tue Jun 30, 2009 2:25 pm

Shipley wrote:

Settings -> Wifi -> Off

PAINFULLY DIFFICULT. THREE WHOLE FUCKING TAPS AND ALMOST 6 SECONDS OF MY LIFE WASTED.

4 taps x4 times per day.

And Apple recommends you turn them off when you're not using them to improve battery life.
Beer Moon
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Shipley » Tue Jun 30, 2009 2:28 pm

I don't know how they could make it easier honestly.

24 seconds of your life. less than the time it took you to rebutt my post.
Shipley
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Beer Moon » Tue Jun 30, 2009 2:30 pm

TAsunder wrote:
Beer Moon wrote:How do you get around seeing through massive glare on a high-gloss surface with any direct lighting reflecting off of it? Do you deny that glossy screens reflect light?

You can get screen protectors with a matte finish that will eliminate this issue.

I will look into this. Thanks.
Beer Moon
Forum God/Goddess

PreviousNext

Return to Technology & Video Games