MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Saturday, September 20, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 69.0° F  Mostly Cloudy
Collapse Photo Bar

Rollover Ads.

Comments on the paper, the website, the mobile site and all other Isthmus-generated products go here.

Re: Rollover Ads.

Postby TheBookPolice » Thu Jul 02, 2009 12:30 pm

white_rabbit wrote:Alright, I'm ready for ad-blocker. Anyone have a link to a good blocker?

Ooh! Ooh! Me!

TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Prof. Wagstaff » Thu Jul 02, 2009 12:38 pm

BP -- that'd be funny if the APT ad wasn't blocking actual content we want to see. I can't just look away, I have to wait for the damn thing to close so I can, oh I dunno... login to tell you what a snot you're being. (It also blocks the "View Active Posts" link, which is generally the first thing I click on when I arrive.)

Anyway, since Isthmus doesn't seem to care, I thought APT might.
Just sent them this e-mail (and you can do likewise: aptmaster@americanplayers.org)

Hello --

I just wanted to let you know that the ad you currently have running on The Isthmus' Daily Page is extremely obtrusive and unresponsive (it closes promptly in Explorer, but not Firefox, which is my browser of choice.) Many have already complained on the Daily Page Forum (viewtopic.php?f=20&t=46397) but I thought perhaps you guys would reconsider annoying your potential customer base and stop blocking the content we want to see.

I run an ad blocker in my browser to prevent exactly such nuisances, but turned it off for The Daily Page as I want to be able to see (and support) local business ads. Your very annoying ad, however, is forcing me to reconsider this policy. Please reconsider yours.
Prof. Wagstaff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby white_rabbit » Thu Jul 02, 2009 12:51 pm

TheBookPolice wrote:
white_rabbit wrote:Alright, I'm ready for ad-blocker. Anyone have a link to a good blocker?

Ooh! Ooh! Me!

You've become quite the annoying prick.
white_rabbit
Forum God/Goddess

Postby nevermore » Thu Jul 02, 2009 1:04 pm

Put me down as another firefox user who's seriously inconvenienced by that ad. Whatever APT's paying you, I want to double just to get rid of that.

Which reminds me, other sites offer ad-free subscription versions of sites for people. Is that possible with this software?
nevermore
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Thu Jul 02, 2009 1:11 pm

white_rabbit wrote:You've become quite the annoying prick.

To quote Alan Arkin in Grosse Pointe Blank:

That wasn't a nice thing to say; that wasn't designed to make me feel good.

BUT! Professor, I completely agree. It does block content, which is the kind of ad that actually does really annoy me. I'm just fuckin' with you people because ad blockers generally bother me.

Jason! Crop it or drop it! Vox populi vox paycheck.
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby white_rabbit » Thu Jul 02, 2009 1:21 pm

TheBookPolice wrote:
white_rabbit wrote:You've become quite the annoying prick.

To quote Alan Arkin in Grosse Pointe Blank:

That wasn't a nice thing to say; that wasn't designed to make me feel good.

Sorry.

I'm generally against ad-blockers, that's why I don't have one. But the frustration level of that APT ad is pushing the tipping point.
white_rabbit
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Kyle Motor » Thu Jul 02, 2009 1:50 pm

I'm trying to be an ass on a few threads now, and this thing is really getting in my way. Can't do an ad-blocker as I can't install things on the ol' work computer.

Maybe I should do some work.
Kyle Motor
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Thu Jul 02, 2009 1:51 pm

Hey now the ad is terrible and annoying but that's no reason to do anything you might regret later.
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Kyle Motor » Thu Jul 02, 2009 1:54 pm

fisticuffs wrote:

Hey now the ad is terrible and annoying but that's no reason to do anything you might regret later.

I'MA DO IT! YOU DON'T BELIEVE ME?

<crunches numbers in Excel for 3 hours>
Kyle Motor
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Thu Jul 02, 2009 1:56 pm

Kyle Motor wrote:I'm trying to be an ass on a few threads now, and this thing is really getting in my way. Can't do an ad-blocker as I can't install things on the ol' work computer.

Actually, what's kind of awesome for me is that my horribly out-of-date--and frankly decrepit--work computer doesn't run that script. It cain't. So all I see is a white gap. Kind of like going to the mall.
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jjoyce » Thu Jul 02, 2009 2:00 pm

Wagstaff (and others): We do care. We spend a lot of time talking about these things. As I've said before, we turn down a lot of intrusive advertising, certainly a lot more than some of our competitors do. But you may be aware that dollars are in short supply these days.

Feedback on threads like this is obviously encouraged and read and even passed along. Your email directly to APT is a fabulous idea, because it reinforces that they have picked a good advertising partner, but should revisit their creative. I think most good marketing people want that kind of feedback, but they get bad information a lot of times from people who work in agencies who look at the numbers, but little else.

Also consider that this thread has attracted some of the usual suspects for complaining about anything and everything. Quality feedback is always something my coworkers and I take very seriously.
jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Postby juanton » Thu Jul 02, 2009 2:09 pm

white_rabbit wrote:
TheBookPolice wrote:

Ooh! Ooh! Me!

You've become quite the annoying prick.

Yes, indeed.
juanton
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Exploding Pinto » Thu Jul 02, 2009 2:16 pm

The photo bar on top is a nice idea. But, it's gotta go if Isthmus is insisting on continually replacing content on the homepage with ads (I know you can collapse it). This place looks like a friggin arcade—not a source of journalism. The masses call for a reduction of the epileptic induction!
Exploding Pinto
Forum Addict

Postby Walter » Thu Jul 02, 2009 2:32 pm

What really burns me up is that this ad is interfering with Kyle's ability to be an ass.

The man is a genius ass and should not be thwarted by you greedy capitalist bastards on King Street.

What ever happened to ass for ass' sake?
Walter
Forum God/Goddess

Postby nevermore » Thu Jul 02, 2009 2:48 pm

Walter wrote:ass for ass' sake?

I'd vote for any politician with that as a slogan.
nevermore
Forum God/Goddess

PreviousNext

Return to Comments on Isthmus & isthmus.com