MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Saturday, August 23, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 77.0° F  Light Rain Fog/Mist
Collapse Photo Bar

A list of 2553 concerts that have taken place in Madison*

Who's making noise in and around Madison? What's new in the business of making music around town? Review shows and CDs here. Please keep all hype in Hype Exchange.

A list of 2553 concerts that have taken place in Madison*

Postby Logjam » Thu Jun 11, 2009 7:54 am

This is pretty cool although I doubt the accuracy of some of the listings.

I took a random stab at old dates and ended up in 1977 which shows Elvis Costello and the Attractions playing at Bunky's, Tom Waits at the Park Motor Inn and AC/DC at the Stone Hearth. It also lists YES and Emerson, Lake and Palmer as both playing the Dane County Coliseum twice that year. I know prog was big in the late 70's but I don't think it was THAT popular.

They also list LaCrosse, Whitewater and Dubuque along with Madison listings. Maybe that search can be refined but I didn't bother with it.

Still, its a cool list to poke around on. Found my first concert listed as August 11, 1982. I probably still have the stub somewhere but I'm not going to look for it so I'll take their word for it.
Logjam
Forum Addict

Re: A list of 2553 concerts that have taken place in Madison*

Postby mifflander » Tue Jun 16, 2009 1:50 pm

That is a fun site. I can vouch for the fact that ELP did play here twice in '77. First time was with a huge 70 some piece orchestra. Later they came back threw with the same basic show but no orchestra. It was taped. I read somewhere at the time that they had to dump the live orchestra due to the cost.
mifflander
Forum Addict

Postby banjovee » Fri Jul 03, 2009 11:09 am

Cool. I saw both the Attractions show at Bunkys and the Waits show at Inn on the Park. I have a recording of the latter. That was the night the police came, briefly shut down the show, and hauled away a burlesque dancer on loan from the Dangle Bar who Waits had hired to strip during his set. She did.
banjovee

Postby Jazznews » Fri Jul 03, 2009 1:19 pm

It's strange that it lists Jimi Hendrix twice. I think he only played at the Factory:
Tuesday 27 February 1968
Jimmy Hendrix
Unknown venue
Madison, WI, US

Soft Machine
Unknown venue
Madison, WI, US

Jimi Hendrix
The Factory
Madison, WI, US

I remember he was late because his van broke down on the way, so they had to do 1 show instead of 2. And people were really worried when he was late because this wasn't long after Otis Redding crashed - he was supposed to play at the Factory too.

No, I didn't go to the show, though my brother encouraged me too. They had an age limit then, for one thing.

I did see Janis Joplin though. She was great. She tried to play longer then she was supposed to but they cut off her mike. She also threw her purple vest into the crowd.
Friday 21 November 1969

Janis Joplin
Dane County Exposition Center
Madison, WI, US

I think when Jefferson Airplane played - afterward they went to the Nitty Gritty and jammed there, or that's what I heard.
Sunday 27 April 1975

Jefferson Airplane
Unknown venue
Madison, WI, US
Jazznews
Forum Addict

Postby Henry Vilas » Fri Jul 03, 2009 2:00 pm

Jazznews wrote:I think when Jefferson Airplane played - afterward they went to the Nitty Gritty and jammed there, or that's what I heard.
Sunday 27 April 1975

Jefferson Airplane
Unknown venue
Madison, WI, US

I saw Jefferson Airplane at the UW Field House with Hot Tuna opening around that time. And I also heard some members jammed at the Gritty.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby altaterra » Tue Aug 25, 2009 11:04 am

banjovee wrote:Cool. I saw both the Attractions show at Bunkys and the Waits show at Inn on the Park. I have a recording of the latter. That was the night the police came, briefly shut down the show, and hauled away a burlesque dancer on loan from the Dangle Bar who Waits had hired to strip during his set. She did.

I also attended the Waits concert at the Inn where Debbie from the Dangle & local law 'enforcement' made for a most memorable evening.
As I recall the show was broadcast on WORT live - banjovee - would you be willing to share Wait's version that nite of "the piano has been drinking, not me" ........ ?
altaterra

Postby Right Bower » Tue Aug 25, 2009 11:24 am

I can't find the Living Color show I saw at the Civic Center.
Right Bower
Forum Addict

Postby Kringle » Tue Aug 25, 2009 11:44 am

Buddy Holly and Chuck Berry at the Orpheum together. That must have been a great show! :D
Kringle

Postby EastSideTom » Tue Aug 25, 2009 12:41 pm

[quote="Jazznews"]It's strange that it lists Jimi Hendrix twice. I think he only played at the Factory:
[quote]

Hendrix played the Factory....two shows, one night. Then came back later and played the Dane County Coliseum.
EastSideTom
Forum Addict

Return to Madison Music