MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Thursday, October 23, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 41.0° F  Mostly Cloudy
Collapse Photo Bar

When will it end?

Comments on the paper, the website, the mobile site and all other Isthmus-generated products go here.

When will it end?

Postby Coplay » Tue Jun 30, 2009 4:04 pm

How long before the Isthmus goes out of business? It's just not the smaller size, the paper doesn't have much to say anymore. I understand that it is hard to come up with interesting articles on a weekly basis, but it just doesn't seem like a long term going concern.
Coplay

Re: When will it end?

Postby Crow » Tue Jun 30, 2009 4:15 pm

Dec 21, 2012. Along with everything else.
Crow
Forum Addict

Postby Coplay » Tue Jun 30, 2009 7:41 pm

Yes, no doubt in a ball of flames.
Coplay

Postby Dust Mite Rodeo » Tue Jun 30, 2009 8:48 pm

You're a plant from that '77' thing, aren't you? Or perhaps an agent of the westward designs of the Crazy Shepherd? Well the Joker didn't succeed in Gotham City and neither shall you!
Dust Mite Rodeo
Forum God/Goddess

Postby bitcharista » Wed Jul 01, 2009 12:03 am

The Isthmus is a local business. Ask it how much it received from Obama's stimulus package.

Unfortunately dimes are thinner these days.

Speaking of dimes, does anyone know why we have a new penny? Do we really need pennies much less a new one?
bitcharista
Forum Addict

Postby blunt » Thu Jul 02, 2009 3:31 pm

As far as I can tell, the fault lies with the completely misguided and inept attempts at "saving" the paper.
They are in the process of destroying an icon.
Everyone interesting and intelligent has left for more exciting waters.
The competition has completely overtaken them. Even 77 Square, the paper thy love to denigrate!
Now most happenings even mockingly mention Isthmus' lack of attendance as a cliche!
Unlike Onion, 77 Square, and Dane101, they simply refuse to interact or understand the changing market.
Perfect example of their self-defeating elitism:
No one wanted Isthmus at the Scenior Scenester Reunion to COVER the event.
We wanted Isthmus at the Reunion because they are PART of the local scene.
But that is obviously no longer the case.
Now no one wants Isthmus anywhere for any reason.
Thy are rapidly becoming irrelevant.
blunt
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Jazznews » Fri Jul 03, 2009 2:55 am

These forums are more lively, maybe because of the policy to accept everyone.

But it seems that all papers are suffering now. The State Journal has been getting smaller and smaller, the same is true for the Onion. And I haven't seen a Madison Times for a long time. The problem may be the financial difficulty because the internet is free so people can read it without paying, unlike the paper news.

Of course Isthmus is free anyway, so is the Cap Times and 77 Square, but it's hard to pay for them without advertising. And the want-ads have almost vanished - because of the economy. There's very few jobs listed. The wantads used to be several pages long, now they are barely 2 pages. The foreclosures take up more space.

Maybe we should hold a benefit for the newspapers. A friend and I did that for the Press Connection back in the 1970s.
Jazznews
Forum Addict

Postby Logjam » Fri Jul 03, 2009 6:31 am

Jazznews wrote:And the want-ads have almost vanished - because of the economy. There's very few jobs listed. The wantads used to be several pages long, now they are barely 2 pages. The foreclosures take up more space.

I suspect craigslist has a lot to do with shrinking classified ads in all newspapers.
Logjam
Forum Addict

Postby Jazznews » Fri Jul 03, 2009 8:43 pm

I've never used craigslist. I still look in the want ads. But as far as jobs go, Isthmus has more jobs listed than the State Journal/Capital newspapers. On madison.com, they have "Top Jobs" listed along the side of the page, but a lot of the links don't work. Or, they have Yahoo Hot Jobs, which is kind of confusing.

My daughter is looking for work and she just went around and looked for "Help Wanted" signs. They do exist out there.
Jazznews
Forum Addict

Postby northlander » Sat Jul 04, 2009 9:21 am

I'll confess my relative troll-dom here and say that many of the posts I've read from Jazznews lead me to believe that you either work for or are very closely affiliated with Isthmus. If this is the case, it's somewhat shocking to hear that you've "never used craigslist," and in fact reinforces the possibility that Isthmus is losing or has lost touch with it's traditional demographic. I mean seriously, you've never used craigslist? Not that it's some kind of hipster merit badge (though the MC or R&R section might qualify), but craigslist and other online classified services/sections are what has replaced the "want ads" that have you waxing nostalgic. If you have even a tangential connection to Isthmus, you'd do well to check it out. Nobody wants to see the Isthmus slip away, and anyone connected with it should be doing everything they can to keep it current, relevant and engaging.

In other news, where is the mention of the Cardinal closing? I've seen a thread that gives this a bit of lip service, but that spent most of it's time taking 'reporters' to task over spreading rumors. I would hope for at least something here in Isthmus that was a bit more authoritative, especially given this: http://www.madison.com/wsj/home/local/457099.
northlander

Postby Jazznews » Sat Jul 04, 2009 9:45 am

:) No, I do not work for Isthmus - and I think some people might think that comment funny. I have been reading the paper since it started. It's funny, because I used to get that same comment on madison.com.

I'm a relative newcomer to the internet, so I am accustomed to using the newspapers for my needs. Consider it old-fashioned, but it is what it is.

Here is a thread about the Cardinal closing(which I started). It's too bad.
Jazznews
Forum Addict

Postby northlander » Sat Jul 04, 2009 10:14 am

No, I do not work for Isthmus - and I think some people might think that comment funny. I have been reading the paper since it started. It's funny, because I used to get that same comment on madison.com.

My bad - It must have been your brevity :lol:
northlander

Postby TheBookPolice » Sat Jul 04, 2009 10:15 am

northlander, your forthrightness is respectable, but A) the word you're looking for is either "lurker" or "newbie," not "troll." A troll is someone who posts off-topic or inflammatory stuff for the purposes of derailing conversation. Your post doesn't come close. And B) uh, no. Jazznews does most definitely not work for Isthmus.

And I'm probably in the 80th percentile or higher for web-savviness, and I've never used Craigslist either. Doesn't mean I haven't looked at it, but never used it. I actually find it pretty awful, from a functional perspective.
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Sat Jul 04, 2009 12:18 pm

I've only used craigslist once, to sell a car. I posted my ad on a Friday night and sold the car the next morning.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jjoyce » Sat Jul 04, 2009 12:37 pm

Craigslist has killed newspaper classifieds, indisputably.

But so have so many huge websites absolutely laying down for whatever format and price the agencies demand for online ads. The value of online advertising far outweighs the prices and it's definitely a buyer's market right now.

The problem for newspapers and all media companies right now is that it's really hard to tell how much of the lag has to do with the economy or the changing landscape.
jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Next

Return to Comments on Isthmus & isthmus.com