MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Wednesday, July 30, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 74.0° F  A Few Clouds
Collapse Photo Bar

36 Hour Challenge

We want to hear about your adventures, be they from Istanbul, Ixtapa or Ixonia. And hey, you might even find someone you can sell your extra Euros to.

36 Hour Challenge

Postby lolagirl » Sat Jul 04, 2009 11:15 am

Yesterday's NYT featured Madison as their 36 hour travel destination http://travel.nytimes.com/2009/07/05/tr ... ref=travel . Overall they did a fairly good job in selecting what to do and didn't seem too cluelessly coastie. However, I know we can do a better job coming up with not-so-obvious things to do, places to go and dining spots than they did.

Ideas??
lolagirl
Forum Addict

Re: 36 Hour Challenge

Postby fennel » Sat Jul 04, 2009 1:30 pm

To start off with visiting a football stadium ... ugh. They ought to have featured unauthorized steam tunnel tours.
fennel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Tue Mar 02, 2010 11:14 am

Do you get paid 4 times as much for posting 4 links? Or is there a sliding scale of some sort?
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby SombreroFallout » Tue Jul 19, 2011 8:55 am

fennel wrote:To start off with visiting a football stadium ... ugh. They ought to have featured unauthorized steam tunnel tours.

Agreed. A guided tour by Tunnel Bob is easily arranged, and he might even throw in a few rounds of hide-&-go-seek.
SombreroFallout
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Twigz2011 » Thu Oct 18, 2012 7:50 am

I'm not originally from here.
How would one go about arranging one of these tunnel tours?

Seems to me like a must do.

Unfortunately, when I've mentioned it to people I know who have lived here longer than I, they have no idea what I'm talking about.
Twigz2011

Postby rabble » Thu Oct 18, 2012 8:14 am

2009? No wonder they don't mention the b-cycle racks in the bike paragraph.

I think that list is just fine. I don't want to tell the tourists about my favorite out of the way places.
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Thu Oct 18, 2012 8:41 am

Twigz2011 wrote:I'm not originally from here.
How would one go about arranging one of these tunnel tours?

I have been in a very small part of these tunnels and it is pretty cool. Tunnel Bob is a pretty crazy dude and even if there was a slight chance he would do a tour, I don't think I'd take him up on it. From what I've read recently, he still goes down there, but not as much as before. The UW still hasn't figured out how he continues to get in these tunnels as they are off limits and also lead into many UW buildings. They've had to fence off some of those entrances to high security buildings so that he doesn't get into them.

The main reason they don't let people down there is because the tunnels carry the steam lines for heat throughout the university. If one of those lines were to break, chances are you're dead or left with a skeletal face.
Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Twigz2011 » Thu Oct 18, 2012 9:11 am

That's unfortunate, but understandable. I realize this isn't New York, but is there any other type of Urban Exploration that exists in Madison (or Milwaukee for that matter)?

http://www.undercity.org/
Twigz2011

Return to Travel