MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Friday, August 1, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 78.0° F  Fair
Collapse Photo Bar

Fishy Sonic review

Where are you eating and what do you think? What's opening, closing, succeeding, failing?

Fishy Sonic review

Postby Bad Gradger » Tue Jul 07, 2009 8:50 pm

http://www.thedailypage.com/daily/artic ... 0263e77562

I agree with the sentiment that Sonic wasn't worth all the time the Middleton police had to put in directing traffic. It's adequate fast food with schtick. But what kind of standard is a fish sandwich (or lack thereof) for reviewing fast food joints? It's like measuring a steakhouse by the quality of its chicken breast.
Bad Gradger
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Fishy Sonic review

Postby boston_jeff » Tue Jul 07, 2009 9:16 pm

That was a weak review. WTF was the point?
boston_jeff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby white_rabbit » Tue Jul 07, 2009 10:35 pm

I can relate. I was really pissed off the other day when I wasn't able to find tuna fish in the pre-made sandwich bin offerings at the Kelley Market. WTF? You've got salami, turkey, egg salad but no tuna. Pffffttt. And what's with their freaking 36oz big drinks that are only a nickel more than the 20oz? What's up with that?
white_rabbit
Forum God/Goddess

Postby boston_jeff » Tue Jul 07, 2009 10:47 pm

When I read reviews of drive-in fastfood joints whose specialties are tots, burgers and drink flavors, I'm not looking for a whiny diatribe about the lack of a fish sandwich. I love fish (although I avoid fastfood fish--walleye sandwiches at Weary are more my speed), and I'm down with eating healthy. But Sonic ain't Long John Silvers, and its not a place to look for a healthy meal.

I'm very confused.
boston_jeff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Thusnelda » Wed Jul 08, 2009 9:09 am

"You open the box -- no grapes, no nuts! Whaaaat's the DEAL with THAT?"
Thusnelda
Forum God/Goddess

Postby swoon_queen » Wed Jul 08, 2009 9:31 am

Nice mention of Friendly's though. I have fond memories (not so much of the Fishamajig, more so of the Fribble) of Friendly's from my Coastie days.

If Sonic is to be re-reviewed, I say stack it in an article with some of the local "competition," namely Michael's.
swoon_queen
Forum Addict

Postby O.J. » Wed Jul 08, 2009 10:05 am

swoon_queen wrote:Nice mention of Friendly's though. I have fond memories (not so much of the Fishamajig, more so of the Fribble) of Friendly's from my Coastie days.

Agreed, although now I'm totally jonesin' for a Reese's Pieces Sundae. Thanks alot.
O.J.
Forum God/Goddess

Postby boston_jeff » Wed Jul 08, 2009 10:18 am

The Friendly's "Fribble" was great. In my small town in CT, there was a "Farm Shop" that became a Friendly's. At one point you could get certain meal deals where a small Friendly's sundae was free. I believe they had a fish sandwich...

In RI, it was the Newport Creamery "Awful Awful" that ruled the day.

http://www.quahog.org/cuisine/index.php?id=9
boston_jeff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby LindaF » Wed Jul 08, 2009 10:49 am

It's not intended to be a full review of the Sonic lineup. I didn't go to Sonic intending to write about it at all.
But once I was there, I really wanted to raise the question: how hard would it be to have some meatless options on the menu? Even a fish sandwich? Which would still fit into the drive-in cuisine/mode. Not asking for organic veggie burgers in three flavors or anything. Just some recognition that not everyone wants to eat meat, and not everyone who eats meat wants to eat it all the time.
LindaF

Postby dave esmond » Wed Jul 08, 2009 11:26 am

LindaF wrote:I really wanted to raise the question: how hard would it be to have some meatless options on the menu? Even a fish sandwich?

Ahhhh. The result of believing the customer is always right, And the bloggers idea that every last thought and idea is interesting.

Would it be hard to add fish? I guess not. Maybe it would be. Who knows? Sonic must have a reason.

Is it dumb to complain about what a place DOESN'T offer? Yes.

Why not ask why the Thai joint doesn't have southern style bbq ribs, or the vegan place doesn't have hot dogs? After all I'm not always in the mood for Thai or vegan and god forbid I'd have to go somewhere else to get what I want at that moment. Most restaurants tend to offer only a few styles of food. You'd think someone writing about food would have noticed this.

When over half a "review" is a listing of what someone orders at other places I wonder what the point is.

Cripes. Don't go to a fast food burger joint if you're in the mood for a meatless option.
Last edited by dave esmond on Wed Jul 08, 2009 11:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
dave esmond
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Wed Jul 08, 2009 11:29 am

swoon_queen wrote:If Sonic is to be re-reviewed, I say stack it in an article with some of the local "competition," namely Michael's.

::raises hand overenthusiastically::

::notices own excessive exuberance::

::sits back down::
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby O.J. » Wed Jul 08, 2009 12:09 pm

LindaF wrote:But once I was there, I really wanted to raise the question: how hard would it be to have some meatless options on the menu? Even a fish sandwich?

Before you were there, how hard would it have been to look at their menu online?
O.J.
Forum God/Goddess

Postby LindaF » Wed Jul 08, 2009 12:34 pm

Since McDonalds et. al. all have fish sandwiches, I don't think it's an unreasonable expectation that a fast food joint have one on the menu, which was the whole idea behind the post.

I did look at the menu online in advance, O.J. It's not all that easy to read. It did register with me that I didn't find a fish sandwich but I actually could not believe that they wouldn't have one. I thought I must have missed it. In fact part of me still believes I must have somehow missed it.
LindaF

Postby fisticuffs » Wed Jul 08, 2009 12:42 pm

Maybe part of the problem is that this isn't a restaurant review at all and more of a short blog entry. Maybe we should call it what it is and stop posting reviews that weren't even intended to be written along with reviews that were.
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby dave esmond » Wed Jul 08, 2009 12:44 pm

Ignore.
Last edited by dave esmond on Wed Jul 08, 2009 1:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dave esmond
Forum God/Goddess

Next

Return to Restaurant News & Reviews