MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Monday, November 24, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 37.0° F  Light Rain Fog/Mist
Collapse Photo Bar

Sick of Dowtown Bars...Suggestions?

Bars, wine, beer, cocktails, drunken escapades

Re: Sick of Dowtown Bars...Suggestions?

Postby ArturoBandini » Wed Jul 08, 2009 3:06 pm

Lots of good suggestions here. But, I want to whine a little that Genna's is $$$. Where else in Madison can you find a $17 pitcher of Ale Asylum? WTF?

I actually hang out at Jordan's Big Ten much more than I should. It's in my neighborhood, with CHEAP drinks and decent food. Stay away from the 2 for $3 Long Islands on Fridays - yikes!
ArturoBandini
Forum God/Goddess

Postby O.J. » Wed Jul 08, 2009 3:49 pm

ArturoBandini wrote: Where else in Madison can you find a $17 pitcher of Ale Asylum? WTF?

Rumor has it, Benvenuto's will soon have Ale Asylum(not sure which style) on tap for $3.75 for a 23oz. If true, can't beat that.
O.J.
Forum God/Goddess

Postby boston_jeff » Wed Jul 08, 2009 4:59 pm

Don't go to Mickey's
boston_jeff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ducatista » Thu Jul 09, 2009 12:07 am

Suggestions, suggschmestions. Start walking, and go where the beer wind blows you. (er... I suppose that qualifies as a suggestion.)
Ducatista
Forum God/Goddess

Postby day tripper yeah » Thu Jul 09, 2009 10:12 am

In a nutshell, college students (again, I realize this is a broad generalization, but let's face it, I'm not wrong here) are obnoxious, loud, extremely drunk, and listen to crappy music. Those of us who are older prefer to avoid them and go to places where we can hang out with our friends, have a few drinks (and not get those drinks spilled all over us by drunken frat boys), and maybe listen to some good music.

I"m happy to say that we don't fit into those catergories, and it's specifically the axe smothered frat boys we're trying to get away from. We're definatley into live music--good music--and I personally am sick to death of the recycled top 40's hits they play at the bars. You're assuming that since I am in college I have terrible taste in music, men and evenings out--please give me a little credit. Would I have posted this if I was content to "rub up against" sweaty dudes in their ridiculously tight American Eagle tees while listening to Soulja Boy? Didn't think so.
day tripper yeah

Postby swiss missile » Thu Jul 09, 2009 3:56 pm

On the advice of a co-worker, I checked out Jade Monkey for the first time recently, and now I'm recommending it. Very cool place with a terrific drink menu and cheap pizza. (Google the web site for more details). It's on the corner of Cottage Grove Road and Monona Drive.
swiss missile

Postby fisticuffs » Thu Jul 09, 2009 3:59 pm

I second the Monkey. Amazing Mojitos. Great atmosphere.
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby swiss missile » Fri Jul 10, 2009 3:26 pm

And I'll second that the mojitos at Jade Monkey are excellent. Lots of fresh mint.
swiss missile

Postby peripat » Fri Jul 17, 2009 7:31 pm

College student child & friends go to Essen Haus on Wilson St during the summer-don't know why (the boot maybe)...might just be people from Madison who go to school elsewhere catching up
peripat
Forum God/Goddess

Postby pattymcnutt » Fri Jul 17, 2009 7:53 pm

day tripper yeah wrote:I"m happy to say that we don't fit into those catergories, and it's specifically the axe smothered frat boys we're trying to get away from. We're definatley into live music--good music--and I personally am sick to death of the recycled top 40's hits they play at the bars. You're assuming that since I am in college I have terrible taste in music, men and evenings out--please give me a little credit. Would I have posted this if I was content to "rub up against" sweaty dudes in their ridiculously tight American Eagle tees while listening to Soulja Boy? Didn't think so.

Hey, like I said, if you don't fit into the college student stereotype, then come on out and enjoy all of the other bars that Madison has to offer. I didn't say that YOU have terrible taste in music and men, I said that the majority of college students do- which is presumably why you and your friends are looking to get away from that scene in the first place.
pattymcnutt
Forum Addict

Previous

Return to Beer, wine & cocktails