MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Saturday, September 20, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 76.0° F  Mostly Cloudy
Collapse Photo Bar

Rick Berg continues to foam at the mouth

Comments on the paper, the website, the mobile site and all other Isthmus-generated products go here.

Rick Berg continues to foam at the mouth

Postby evildisc420 » Fri Jul 10, 2009 11:44 am

Was Rick Berg vacationing on another planet last year?
He suggests that elected leaders should be wary of the growing discontent of the tax paying public as it could lead to “revolution”. Wary himself no doubt after having been called out for suggesting “Frontier Justice” in his column of May 28th, he quickly backtracks and mentions that “ Most ’revolutions’ occur at the ballot box”.
Is there anyone on earth who does not consider the most recent elections to be a fine example of this? Does Mr. Berg suggest that those who owe their recent election to the massive discontent of the average voter with the previous administrations “disconnect” with the people, would somehow forget that fact?
I suggest that Mr. Berg is simply trying to deflect blame for our current predicament onto the new administration, despite the fact that they were not in power when the problems began. In a desperate attempt to foment a “Conservative Revolution” and ensure that the Left is not given a chance to succeed.
To suggest that the horrible situation in Detroit is somehow the result of deficit spending alone, and then to further suggest that Obama’s failure to fix everything in six months is evidence that his dire predictions of last year were some how prophetic is simply ridiculous.
evildisc420

Re: Rick Berg continues to foam at the mouth

Postby Huckleby » Fri Jul 10, 2009 12:56 pm

if you want reactions to his column, a link would help
Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess

Postby evildisc420 » Fri Jul 10, 2009 2:03 pm

It's two clicks away but here is the link:

http://www.thedailypage.com/isthmus/art ... icle=26350
evildisc420

Postby Donald » Fri Jul 10, 2009 2:31 pm

I had a similar reaction, except I don't think this is some innocent call for electoral change.

Look, Cheney was running a secret assassination network during the time Bush was in power, and, I suspect he was still running it up until three days ago. For all I know, he's still running it. Conservatives are falling all over themselves now in support of coups in foreign countries undertaken by rightest elements in the military . Cheney, Berg and many of their fellow ultra-rightists want an end to democratic rule (and I mean little "d"emocratic rule), especially by a black semi-progressive, and they will go to any means to do it.

I'd really like a discussion of why Isthmus runs these incitements to violence against democracy and our elected leaders. Is it to expose the ugly truth of the Cheney-Berg treachery?
Donald
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Fri Jul 10, 2009 2:45 pm

Yeah I fail to see why the Isthmus would give this idiot a forum to spout this crap. Hey Republicans. YOU LOST THE ELECTION! This is what it's like when you don't get things your way. Its not some vast conspiracy to destroy Amerrrica and freedom it's deomcracy at work. You lost. Were you expecting Obama to do things your way? your way failed.
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Fri Jul 10, 2009 4:38 pm

Since they (probably purposely) don't get it, it needs to be repeated over and over again: This recession is a direct result of 8 years of Bush rule. It's the Bush economy that we're trying to fix.

Bush. Get it? Bush.
gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby ilikebeans » Fri Jul 10, 2009 6:22 pm

Since Ned excreted the same nonsense recently in another thread, I'm guessing there was some push on this talking point from Wingnut Central lately.

Let's try to make an analogy that you right-wing morons will understand. Fixing the economy is like losing weight-- you're not going to take it off overnight. Remember how long it took you to get that fat?

Ok, can't understand that one? How about this: Fixing the economy is like turning an oil tanker around just as it's getting up to full speed. It's called inertia-- you have to slow it down, then make a very gradual turn, but first, it's still picking up steam from the idiots that pushed the throttle to full in the direction of that rocky shoal in the first place.
ilikebeans
Forum God/Goddess

Postby white_rabbit » Fri Jul 10, 2009 8:59 pm

It's a good thing for these Neo-Con howler monkey ass-hats that liberals take First Amendment free speech rights so seriously. Some of the crap these hyper-partisan hit-wacks spew would be considered sedition if it was coming from a Democrat under Republican rule.

ass-hat wrote: As Thomas Jefferson wrote in the Declaration of Independence, "We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness. Whenever any form of government becomes destructive of these ends, it is the right of the people to alter or abolish it, and to institute a new government...."

Indeed, he said, "it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such government, and to provide new guards for their future security."

I do not count myself among those who would advocate the overthrow of the United States government, and most "revolutions" occur at the ballot box, not in the streets. But I do think those who have been granted the trust of the public would be well advised to remember how seriously Jefferson took the right and duty of the American people as it pertains to the structure of the government that flows from the consent of the governed.

To compare the first six months of the Obama administration to the conditions that existed which led to the American Revolution is not only hyperbole of a mind-boggling extreme but is also an insult to our history and our collective intelligence.
white_rabbit
Forum God/Goddess

Return to Comments on Isthmus & isthmus.com