MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Tuesday, September 23, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 59.0° F  A Few Clouds
Collapse Photo Bar

The Straight Dope

Comments on the paper, the website, the mobile site and all other Isthmus-generated products go here.

The Straight Dope

Postby ilikebeans » Mon Jul 13, 2009 4:35 pm

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think this marks the second week I can't find that column. Has it officially been removed?
ilikebeans
Forum God/Goddess

Re: The Straight Dope

Postby Kenneth Burns » Mon Jul 13, 2009 5:06 pm

Kenneth Burns
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Mon Jul 13, 2009 5:13 pm

One question that I never got around to asking Cecil is: Why are so many more people born naturally right-handed than left-handed? Maybe a foron can give me the straight dope.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Jazznews » Mon Jul 13, 2009 5:35 pm

Kenneth Burns wrote:http://www.thedailypage.com/isthmus/article.php?article=26229

:(
Henry Vilas wrote:One question that I never got around to asking Cecil is: Why are so many more people born naturally right-handed than left-handed? Maybe a foron can give me the straight dope.

I think I remember him answering that. I don't remember the answer though. But here's an answer from the big site of amazing facts:
...Less than one person in six is left-handed. No one is sure why so many more people are right-handed. It's possible that the reasons go back to the days of the caveman.

A person who was born right-handed would fight with a weapon in his right hand and use his left hand to shield himself; a left-handed person would fight with his left hand and shield himself with his right hand.

A person who uses his left hand to shield himself protects his heart, which is on the left side of the body. So, many right-handed persons who were wounded would survive, while left-handed persons would suffer wounds around their heart and die.

Over the course of evolution, this higher survival rate among right-handed persons could have led to more persons being born right-handed.
Jazznews
Forum Addict

Postby ilikebeans » Mon Jul 13, 2009 6:05 pm

This is the last week for long-standing syndicated feature The Straight Dope. Despite the foregoing economic wailing, this move was not taken for economic reasons. Rather, we decided to give the readers what they want, namely more coverage of food and drink, and beginning next week that happens.

Whoa. I was absolutely certain that it was going to be a budget decision.

Uh, we need more food/drink reviews? Really? There weren't enough already in the paper version, the web version, and other weekly papers? This, when restaurants are seemingly closing at an increasing rate, and the public has less disposable cash for eating out?

Obviously I'm biased. I think The Straight Dope is perhaps the best syndicated column in the country, and used to read it damn near every week. I'm also not a foodie by any stretch of the imagination.

Was this move determined by recent reader surveys? Everything else in the paper is more popular than The Straight Dope?
Last edited by ilikebeans on Mon Jul 13, 2009 6:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ilikebeans
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Thusnelda » Mon Jul 13, 2009 6:26 pm

If it means more of Linda Falkenstein's paeans to the almighty fish sandwich... meh.
Thusnelda
Forum God/Goddess

Postby chance » Mon Jul 13, 2009 8:21 pm

ilikebeans wrote:
This is the last week for long-standing syndicated feature The Straight Dope. Despite the foregoing economic wailing, this move was not taken for economic reasons. Rather, we decided to give the readers what they want, namely more coverage of food and drink, and beginning next week that happens.

Whoa. I was absolutely certain that it was going to be a budget decision.

It's hard to believe that economic considerations didn't play a part. Perhaps a calculation that increasing the coverage of food and drink would bring in more food and drink advertising?
chance
Forum Addict

Postby scratch » Wed Jul 15, 2009 11:57 am

"This is the last week for long-standing syndicated feature The Straight Dope. Despite the foregoing economic wailing, this move was not taken for economic reasons. Rather, we decided to give the readers what they want, namely more coverage of food and drink, and beginning next week that happens."

To invoke a term popular on Chicago sportstalk radio: Asshats.

We need more food and drink coverage in the Isthmus like I need to read more of Samara Kalk Derby--or Linda FishSandwich.
scratch
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TAsunder » Wed Jul 15, 2009 12:22 pm

Maybe this means my highly literate and enthralling review of Alinea will finally get printed.
TAsunder
Forum God/Goddess

Postby ilikebeans » Wed Jul 15, 2009 5:35 pm

chance wrote: Perhaps a calculation that increasing the coverage of food and drink would bring in more food and drink advertising?

I think you might be onto something there.
ilikebeans
Forum God/Goddess

Return to Comments on Isthmus & isthmus.com