MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Tuesday, September 23, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 48.0° F  Fog/Mist
Collapse Photo Bar

Carnival with Dogs!

Grocery stores, recipes, cook books, CSAs, farmers' markets, organic, local, processed, corporate. It's a smorgabord!

Carnival with Dogs!

Postby Bwis53 » Mon Jul 13, 2009 9:14 pm

Yippie! A new eatery, on the south side, S. Park & Lakeside S.E. corner (across the street, from the old Bancroft Dairy ) I didn't know they'd opened, or I'd have skipped the wings I had for dinner. Had a cone just to be friendly and check out their menu. The sign says they do serve Vienna Dogs (Coney and Chicago style), slushies, and all kinds of things to put a smile on my face. It is a local and female owned place. This is exciting news for the south side!

Well, I'm excited because it's just down the street from me and I'm having a wonderful time, summer urban exploring!
Bwis53
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Carnival with Dogs!

Postby workboy7 » Tue Jul 14, 2009 8:41 am

I pray it doesn't suck, or blow. I'll try it today, but my experience has been most dog places in Madison have sucked or in some cases, blown. I'll let you know. I don't care who owns it, female or not, just please please please be decent!
workboy7
Forum Addict

Postby Bwis53 » Wed Jul 15, 2009 11:35 am

The Chicago Vienna dog is great! I was delighted! The savory flavor lingered as I stolled on home afterwards. Word is the neighbors are delighted also.

Carnival is owned by a man and woman with personal and family background in the restaurant business. I'm not the greatest reporter, so I hope these folks get an interview.
Bwis53
Forum God/Goddess

Postby wallrock » Wed Jul 15, 2009 12:59 pm

I'm a big fan of the Vienna dogs, but not so much the Hebrew Nationals. I swung by Mad Dog's last weekend and I was disappointed to see the new owners had switched. I'll have to give this place a shot - maybe it'll replace Home Depot as my go-to for the Chicago dog cravings.
wallrock
Forum God/Goddess

Postby workboy7 » Thu Jul 16, 2009 9:51 pm

I'm saddened to be so right. As I feared, this place will severely disappoint or even anger anyone with the slightest idea of the joy of being served a good dog. A microwaved 5 to 1 UW Provision "all beef" frank, crappy buns, no neon green, no sport peppers, only customer and I get to wait 8 minutes for a $2.75. A nice woman, says she and her dad started this, is going to fail, and its a shame.
workboy7
Forum Addict

Postby white_rabbit » Thu Jul 16, 2009 10:12 pm

Still bitter about Dog Eat Dog?
white_rabbit
Forum God/Goddess

Postby workboy7 » Thu Jul 16, 2009 10:21 pm

Not in the slightest, not even a bit. I'm just so tired of the inconsistencies in products and service at Madison area restaurants. Hot dogs seem to be too difficult for most, I guess.
workboy7
Forum Addict

Postby wallrock » Fri Jul 17, 2009 11:22 am

workboy7 wrote:A microwaved 5 to 1 UW Provision "all beef" frank, crappy buns, no neon green, no sport peppers,

How is that even considered a Vienna Chicago-style? What did you order?
wallrock
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bwis53 » Fri Jul 17, 2009 8:20 pm

Well, I've eaten at Jimmy's Redhots and Dog Den (Foxy's) in Chicagoland, and this is pretty damn close. They have made me a happy southsider.
Bwis53
Forum God/Goddess

Postby workboy7 » Sun Jul 19, 2009 11:33 am

I tried this place again. While I appreciate the efforts, desires, and sacrifices that owners of new restaurants make, it doesn't change the fact that most places fail, and usually for good reason. This place, and the fact that I don't know its name after two visits makes me wonder if I should spend more time schooling myself, or if the owners should spend a bit of time working on their signage. I have seen garage sales with more professional signage.

I want local, passionate people to start and run successful businesses. I want restaurants where I know I can take friends and have a consistently served product.

I am very well schooled in how to open and run a professionally operating restaurant. Hell, just look at Mc Donald's. If you ignore their food, and fashion a menu using their focus of quality used at all locations, you'd be a step up on most of your fledgling competitors.
workboy7
Forum Addict

Postby white_rabbit » Sun Jul 19, 2009 3:12 pm

workboy7 wrote:I don't know its name after two visits

HINT: read the the title of the thread, it contains a very big clue.

workboy7 wrote:I am very well schooled in how to open and run a professionally operating restaurant.

And what is the reason, in your well schooled experience, why none of your restaurants have successfully stayed open?
white_rabbit
Forum God/Goddess

Postby workboy7 » Sun Jul 19, 2009 8:02 pm

I'm assuming, White Rabbit, that you aren't goading me, but either way the answer is simple. No restaurant I've ever been a part of has failed while I was there.
workboy7
Forum Addict

Postby white_rabbit » Sun Jul 19, 2009 8:18 pm

The thing is, I trust the judgment of Bwis53 and want to give the benefit of the doubt to a new, locally owned business. Truth, I drove down Park Street (which is out of the way of my normal path) after Bwis53's first post on my way to work the next day after I read the initial post to scope out the place and realized Carnival is in the building where La Movida was located. I haven't been there yet, but will definitely go and visit. I've been a bit critical of workboy7's comments because I hate when a new business is being run down when others I trust are giving it good reviews. I'm increasingly cynical when the person criticizing the place was unsuccessful in running a similar restaurant/hot dog stand. Perhaps I should give workboy7 a bit more credence in his snarky review of Carnival, but there is just something that smacks of sour grapes.

Also, it's nice to see people take a chance on the south side and open a business in that neighborhood during one of the worst economic times in recent memory.
white_rabbit
Forum God/Goddess

Postby workboy7 » Sun Jul 19, 2009 9:04 pm

Well Rabbit, you seem to have something against me, and thats OK. But to set the record straight, Dog Eat Dog was doing wonderfully when I was there. My partner bought me out. I left with cash in hand and zero debt, something most restaurant owners can't say. I have no idea why it failed after my departure, but to use specious reasoning to my advantage, it failed because I left. Just guessing, Rabbit. Feel free to continue to your bitter quips now that you have a little more facts.
workboy7
Forum Addict

Postby white_rabbit » Sun Jul 19, 2009 10:10 pm

I have nothing against you WorkBoy7, I'm just wondering what you have against an upstart business. And it's interesting that you would describe my questioning of your bitter criticism of a new business as bitter. Projecting much?
white_rabbit
Forum God/Goddess

Next

Return to Cooking & Food issues