MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Monday, September 22, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 68.0° F  A Few Clouds
Collapse Photo Bar

Frida's

Where are you eating and what do you think? What's opening, closing, succeeding, failing?

Frida's

Postby tillybob » Wed Jul 15, 2009 4:37 pm

I had one of the worst meals of my life Monday night. I'm pretty tolerant when it comes to Mexican food and have even been known to enjoy a Mexican TV dinner - but the meal at Frida's was horrible. Absolutly no flavor. Some kind of wierd tomato sauce covered my dish. The waiter referred to it "Mexican marinara". wtf??

I was with 6 other people and not one of us finished our meal. We all ordered different items and each of us was disastisfied. One of my friends said it tasted like it came out of a can. Even the margaritas were lame. Talk about tasting like they came out of a can. ugh.

How on earth do they stay in business is beyond me.
tillybob

Re: Frida's

Postby BeatBox » Wed Jul 15, 2009 5:12 pm

They get a big crowd on Saturday mornings from the Farmers Market. Plus they're owned by the same people who own Tutto Pasta (another disgusting eatery). I say mob money. /jokes
BeatBox

Postby white_rabbit » Wed Jul 15, 2009 5:28 pm

BeatBox wrote:They get a big crowd on Saturday mornings from the Farmers Market. Plus they're owned by the same people who own Tutto Pasta (another disgusting eatery). I say mob money. /jokes

I could be wrong, but I don't believe it is the same owner as Tutto, but Frida's is definitely owned by the same owner as Zander's and Icon. Frida's makes a lot of $$ by converting into a pseudo dance club for the college crowd at night.
white_rabbit
Forum God/Goddess

Postby BeatBox » Wed Jul 15, 2009 7:12 pm

It may have change hands but I was working at Tutto on King St when Frida's opened and it was definitely the same people then. That was a very very long time ago and a very very brief period of employment with them.
BeatBox

Postby white_rabbit » Wed Jul 15, 2009 7:19 pm

I'm fairly certain the ownership of the King St Tutto has changed hands.
white_rabbit
Forum God/Goddess

Postby boston_jeff » Wed Jul 15, 2009 11:05 pm

It never ceases to amaze me what some people call Mexican or Italian food...and that other people like it and think that's what its supposed to taste like. Then they eat authentic food and are disappointed because it doesn't taste like that shit.

Been there once for a work thing, would never go back unless it was another work thing.
boston_jeff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TAsunder » Thu Jul 16, 2009 9:21 am

Terrible place. It would not surprise me if the Tutto on State St were owned by the same people, as both exhibit the same pattern of utterly horrific service and food seemingly retrieved from the garbage dump behind taco bell / fazoli's.
TAsunder
Forum God/Goddess

Postby anyportinastorm » Thu Jul 16, 2009 10:49 am

Frida's is not owned by the same people as Tutto Pasta...the current owner of Frida's worked for a short time at Tutto and remained on good terms with the owner when he opened Frida's....however, I do agree with the analysis of the food but if you order a margarita--don't get the ones out of the beer tap---get one of the handmade selections which are actually decent. Whiterabbit is right when he said a lot of money comes through when it becomes a night club.
anyportinastorm
Forum Addict

Postby Osso Muriendo » Tue Aug 11, 2009 11:53 am

No Frida's makes a lot of money because they dont card large groups of clearly underage kids on mondays and thursdays for half price margaritas. I am a student at the UW and when i was underage it really was the only restaurant downtown that i knew i would get served at every time. And yes their food is terrible, plus now they make you get $5 dollars worth of food if you are going to order a drink. To anyone who disbelieves this, go upstairs on a thursday or monday after labor day and check out the crowd, almost entirely underage, all loud, all drunk and rowdy.

Where is Walter the cop when we need him?
Osso Muriendo

Postby Stomach » Tue Aug 11, 2009 12:02 pm

I hope MadMind gets there before Walter.
Stomach
Forum God/Goddess

Postby anyportinastorm » Tue Aug 11, 2009 7:11 pm

Osso's post is dead on accurate...at least it was when I tended bar there. The Langdon Street clones would book their Greek parties there knowing they would get served easily and lots of students took advatage of the lax carding policy. I eventually told the owner if we get busted he would be paying for my fine and lost employment because I would have lost my bartenders license. I finally wouldn't work Thursday nights because of the major pain in the butt the minors were. He eventually started tightening things up by the time I left. BUT...what really cracks me up about Osso's post is that it was all well and good to go there when he was 20...but now that he is the ripe old age--oh, lets say 23--he's all for calling the cops when he see's others doing the same crap he was pulling. What a hypocrite!
anyportinastorm
Forum Addict

Postby Osso Muriendo » Wed Aug 12, 2009 10:56 am

Well i can hardly deny that. And for your information i've reached the dessicated old age of 22, who knows if i'll even be able to type by the time i'm 23. I don't recall ever saying that i was proud of going to Frida's prior to being 21, and i can't honestly say that the schadenfreude of watching Frida's get busted while i was there and underage wouldnt have made up for the drinking ticket. The post from the bartender is interesting though when we were underage we always assumed that we would be carded if we just went to the bar, hence getting a table and choking down that shitty food
Osso Muriendo

Postby roadkill bill » Wed Aug 12, 2009 12:09 pm

If you know what to order, you can get some very decent food and drink at Frida's. It's not authentic Mexican, but very little is in Madison. (And I do know good Mexican, having spent a great deal of time there, and not in Cancun, as well as living in cities with very large Mexican and Mexican-American populations.) Some of their specials have been quite tasty.

The margaritas are also yummy if you order the good ones.

On the other hand, I agree that the place is frequently overrun with loud, snooty, and/or otherwise obnoxious undergrads. Again, you have to know when to go.

Maybe the menu, ingredients, or drink quality varies depending on if they are busy or have a huge student crowd vs. a quieter time.
roadkill bill
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Walter » Wed Aug 12, 2009 12:50 pm

Osso Muriendo wrote:No Frida's makes a lot of money because they dont card large groups of clearly underage kids on mondays and thursdays for half price margaritas. I am a student at the UW and when i was underage it really was the only restaurant downtown that i knew i would get served at every time. And yes their food is terrible, plus now they make you get $5 dollars worth of food if you are going to order a drink. To anyone who disbelieves this, go upstairs on a thursday or monday after labor day and check out the crowd, almost entirely underage, all loud, all drunk and rowdy.

Where is Walter the cop when we need him?

I don't work the bars.

Besides, I thought we weren't supposed to pick on business owners and poor underage students who have nothing to do socially except go out and drink because it is so unfair, according to Dick Lyshek, owner of the now shuttered Ramhead Rathskeller (formerly known as Bullfeathers).

Here's the problem with restaurants turning into bars at night (Frida's, Hawk's, Orpheum Lobby, etc): underage people can be in there because they are restaurants. We have to catch them with a drink to write a citation that comes back on the bar because you can't prove where they have been drinking or possessing it without it.

When the cops do hit those places, you should hear the sound of glasses and bottles hitting the floor and see people hauling ass out the door. It's pretty comical.

This is why the Police Department rarely supports a restaurant that wants a liquor license and will stay open until bar time. They get to act like a bar (and make a lot of money on alcohol) but pretend to be a restaurant while our ability to monitor and sanction bad behavior is negated.
Walter
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Osso Muriendo » Wed Aug 12, 2009 1:11 pm

And this is why it's nice to have Walter on the forums, intelligent responses and cracks at Lyshek, who as we all know is a tool
Osso Muriendo

Next

Return to Restaurant News & Reviews