MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Friday, December 19, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 26.0° F  Overcast
Collapse Photo Bar

DVD recorder for movies and sports

Wiis, PlayStations, iPads, blogging platforms, Facebook and anything else worthy of buzz in the digital world.

DVD recorder for movies and sports

Postby Shorty » Thu Jul 16, 2009 3:18 pm

I am shopping for a my first DVD recorder for my TV. I have Charter digital cable with many movie channels. I read most or all dvd recorders will not allow movies and sports to be recorded to DVD. There is a digital signal sent with the broadcast to block the dvd recording. Is that true? Are there any dvd recorders that will allow recording of movies and sports?
Shorty
Forum God/Goddess

Re: DVD recorder for movies and sports

Postby supaunknown » Thu Jul 16, 2009 3:55 pm

Shorty wrote:I am shopping for a my first DVD recorder for my TV. I have Charter digital cable with many movie channels. I read most or all dvd recorders will not allow movies and sports to be recorded to DVD. There is a digital signal sent with the broadcast to block the dvd recording. Is that true? Are there any dvd recorders that will allow recording of movies and sports?

You should have no problem recording programs from TV/cable.
Where you'd likely get r-blocked is if you try recording a copy-protected VHS/DVD to your DVD recorder.
supaunknown
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Beer Moon » Fri Jul 17, 2009 3:45 pm

What's wrong with a DVR?
Beer Moon
Forum God/Goddess

Postby supaunknown » Fri Jul 17, 2009 5:11 pm

Beer Moon wrote:What's wrong with a DVR?

DVRs are cool for stationary in-home use, but they're not as toteable as discs. It's nice to have a hard copy archive. My favorite recorders incorporate both a DVR and a DVD burner in the same unit. You can record a bunch of stuff on the DVR and then edit & burn only the stuff you want to DVD.
supaunknown
Forum God/Goddess

Postby KGBear » Sat Jul 18, 2009 7:39 pm

Magnavox H2160MW9

It has internal hard drive and works almost as Tivo.
You can record shows from hard drive to dvd.
KGBear

Postby Shorty » Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:38 pm

supaunknown wrote:You should have no problem recording programs from TV/cable. Where you'd likely get r-blocked is if you try recording a copy-protected VHS/DVD to your DVD recorder.

I bought the LG RC897T DVD/VCR combo from Best Buy. It would not allow me to DVD record sports or movies from premium channels like HBO & Showtime so I returned it.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp ... 9496732454

Would a DVR block sports and movies, also? Will the Magnavox H2160MW9 block sports and movies? That is an intriguing product.
Shorty
Forum God/Goddess

Postby supaunknown » Mon Jul 20, 2009 3:23 pm

Shorty wrote:
supaunknown wrote:You should have no problem recording programs from TV/cable. Where you'd likely get r-blocked is if you try recording a copy-protected VHS/DVD to your DVD recorder.

I bought the LG RC897T DVD/VCR combo from Best Buy. It would not allow me to DVD record sports or movies from premium channels like HBO & Showtime.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp ... 9496732454

Would a DVR block sports and movies, also?

Honestly shorty, you've me stumped. And I'm surprised and sorry your new DVD recorder has somehow been blocked from recording your premium channels. I just checked the Charter website and didn't see anything stating they were sending out a copy-protected signal on any channels, though they do say some 3rd party DVRs require might require some fanagling to work correctly. And that their On Demand stuff can't be recorded using the Charter-supplied DVR.

Can I ask a few questions?
Does the DVD recorder give you a message such as, "recording this material is disallowed blah blah ... "?
These programs you're trying to record are standard def, correct?
Signal path: cable -> cable box -> DVD recorder -> TV, correct?

I'll keep checking on this.
supaunknown
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Shorty » Tue Jul 21, 2009 3:25 pm

Don't worry I got a refund for the LG RC897T recorder. Yes I am recording standard def and have the path you suggested. The problem is copyright protection. There was a message when shows were blocked, something like "recording this material is disallowed due to CPRM". Here is a site I found about CPRM that answers some of my questions. It sounds like I need a DVD recorder that has VR mode or DVD-RAM discs.

Does your DVD recorder allow sports and HBO movies to be recorded? If so what one do you have?

http://hometheater.about.com/od/homethe ... eocopy.htm

"One problem newer DVD recorders and DVD Recorder/VHS combo units have is that they are unable record programs from HBO or other premium channels, and definitely not Pay-Per-View or On-Demand programming, due to copy-protection to block recording onto DVD. This isn't the fault of the DVD recorder; it is the enforcement of copy-protection schemes required by the movie studios and other content providers, which is also backed up legal court rulings.

There is no way around this unless you use a DVD Recorder that can record on a DVD-RW disc in VR Mode or a DVD-RAM format disc that is CPRM compatible (look on the package). However, keep in mind that DVD-RW VR Mode or DVD-RAM recorded discs are not playable on most DVD players (just Panasonic and few others - refer to user manuals).

On the other hand, Cable/Satellite DVRs and TIVO do allow recordings of most content (except for pay-per-view and on-demand programming). However, since the recordings are made on a hard drive instead of a disc, they are not permanently saved (unless you have an extremely large hard drive). This is acceptable to movie studios and other content providers as further copies of the hard drive recording cannot be made."
Shorty
Forum God/Goddess

Postby supaunknown » Tue Jul 21, 2009 5:29 pm

I don't have a stand-alone unit at home. I use the recorders we have here at work quite a bit though. The units we use are Panasonic brand. They work well, but I have noticed it's impossible to copy/import their resulting VIDEO_TS files into any NLE program in their entirety. I have occasionally been (temporarily*) denied the ability to record a copy-protected program using the Panasonics.

*At Vipdubs we stay on the legal side of things.

Bummer about the pay channels putting a blocker on their signal. Does it block VHS recording also?
Do they really think their compressed-ass cable feed is going to somehow be confused for the genuine DVD off the shelves? Seems overly protective imo. Why are they throwing an unnecessary hinderance at the average home consumer? I guess I shouldn't be surprised that Charter would pull a consumer-unfriendly move like this. I understand and appreciate protecting copyrighted works, but consumers have rights too, and disallowing people from recording their shows for personal use is not cool.
supaunknown
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Shorty » Wed Jul 22, 2009 9:47 am

VHS recording is not blocked. I can record the movies from pay channels to tape. I think blocking is only possible with digital and not analog. If they could block analog I bet they would, but they can't.
Shorty
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Shorty » Mon Sep 14, 2009 3:01 pm

supaunknown wrote: I guess I shouldn't be surprised that Charter would pull a consumer-unfriendly move like this. I understand and appreciate protecting copyrighted works, but consumers have rights too, and disallowing people from recording their shows for personal use is not cool.

I don't think Charter is to blame. I think the movie studios and maybe premium channels are the ones that want recording blocked so it won't reduce their revenue.
Shorty
Forum God/Goddess

Return to Technology & Video Games