MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Monday, July 28, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 73.0° F  Mostly Cloudy
Collapse Photo Bar

OK HOWZABOUT THIS: Add a COMEDY section

Comments on the paper, the website, the mobile site and all other Isthmus-generated products go here.

Re: OK HOWZABOUT THIS: Add a COMEDY section

Postby blunt » Fri Jun 05, 2009 7:05 pm

ilikebeans wrote:Was the Aristocrats evening actually funny? I was tempted to go, but a little voice in my head kept telling me that it would turn into a bunch of guys on stage just trying to be as offensive as possible without bringing the laughs (see: much of South Park these days).

Should I regret that decision?

Yep:

"What the hell happened last night? When I finally worked up the nerve to follow through on my desire to host an Aristocrats competition in Madison my biggest fear was a long stream of performers going up on stage and boring the audience to tears with the same scatological references over-and-over again. That didn't happen. Instead we had 12 performers stand up in front of an audience of nearly 100 and turn this age old joke inside out, stand it on its head, and pull out its innards.....'
Read more:
http://dane101.com/arts/2009/05/28/an_e ... ristocrats
blunt
Forum God/Goddess

Postby blunt » Sat Jun 06, 2009 2:08 pm

blunt wrote:
jjoyce wrote:So wait, these comedians -- who all get together and trash each other in the comments section of a story about a local comedian -- are putting on shows where they also trash the local alt weekly?
I can't believe none of them has his own sitcom yet!
When's the next time I can see these comedians?

1) The local?

2) Alt?

3) "I can't believe none of them has his own sitcom yet!"
Like none of the upcoming local bands have an HBO special, or upcoming writers are in the Oprah Club, or.......

4) When's the next time I can see these comedians?
Oh! That's why you have never been!
Check the club listings for them in Decider or 77 Square.

And this is the attitude we keep bumping our eyes on!
I have termed it igno-arrogance.
You seem downright proud of not knowing something !
And stubbornly defiant, ignoring and insulting your very own Forons, let alone general Madisonians!
You could have just said yes or no.
But instead of giving the members of your own forum what they want (over and over again) you either ignore everybody or engage in inexplicable bouts of negativity.
It infects me, too, sometimes.
I don't like it.
blunt
Forum God/Goddess

Postby ryoose » Wed Jul 15, 2009 12:51 pm

Wow. This is one of the most unfortunate things I've read in a long time. I don't even really know where to begin.

First, the Decider.com thing. That was one of those things that, once it got started, it just kind of snowballed out of control. Ultimately it was a personal feud between a small group of people that goes back many years that got drug on to the Internet. It's too bad that it had to be turned in to this public thing because it just made Madison Comics look kind of small. At least that's my take on it.

Chuck - Dude. Really? I don't know what your problem is, but it seems like there's something personal there. You have some real hate for local stand-up for some reason. If it's not your thing then just don't go... Seems like a pretty obvious solution to me.

Jason - I don't know what to tell you. I guess it's too bad that local comedy doesn't do anything for ya. If not one local comic has made you crack a grin, then apparently that means there are no funny people in Madison....which is incredibly depressing. I guess that partially explains why the Isthmus doesn't really cover local comedy...

To the rest of you that posted....less than glowing reviews, ...local comedy is what it is. It's a crapshoot at best. That's all I can tell you. Sometimes it's good, sometimes it's less than that.
Open-Mics fight an uphill battle because most of the time the people that go to watch automatically assume that they're at least as funny or funnier than the people on the stage. Here's the thing though, Madison comics come from Madison (mostly). It's not like they bus us in twice a week from LaCrosse or Wausau. Apparently, this is the best Madison has to offer. I know it's cliche to say "if you think you can do better". But... Seriously, if you're just gonna come hate on a message board, then maybe it's time you grabbed a microphone and changed the face of comedy forever. ...because it's just that easy.
ryoose

Postby jjoyce » Wed Jul 15, 2009 1:47 pm

I'm trying to imagine how this thread would go if someone who was actually funny participated. Perfect example is the previous post: Not funny. Not remotely funny. Not only that, but if the poster is himself a stand-up comic, I've gotta wonder if any part of his act is funny as it's clear he takes really, really inconsequential little things very, very seriously.

There are hilarious people all over Madison, and all over this board. None who I know are stand-ups. I know that stand-ups seem to think that their craft is the end-all/be-all of being funny. Tell that to David Sedaris. Or Larry David.

Blunt, among others, insists that this board start a comedy section because of something that happened on another site involving a bunch of comedians blasting each other in a decidedly unfunny (not even amusing) way. They come off as angry, not funny.
jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Postby nevermore » Wed Jul 15, 2009 2:20 pm

jjoyce wrote:They come off as angry, not funny.

OK HOWZABOUT THIS: Add an ANGER section!!!

...goddammit...
nevermore
Forum God/Goddess

Postby O.J. » Wed Jul 15, 2009 2:24 pm

nevermore wrote:
jjoyce wrote:They come off as angry, not funny.

OK HOWZABOUT THIS: Add an ANGER section!!!

...goddammit...

Someone's gonna pay for this!!!
O.J.
Forum God/Goddess

Postby ryoose » Wed Jul 15, 2009 2:38 pm

Okay man. I see how it is.

I wasn't trying to be "funny"...I just wanted to share my thoughts and see if I could stop the two-page anti-Madison comedy bashfest that is this thread.

If you don't like stand-up, you don't like stand up. That's fine. It's your decision. I just don't understand why you have to be such a hater about it.

I'm not sure about Sedaris. But David got his start as a Stand-Up.
ryoose

Postby Ned Flanders » Wed Jul 15, 2009 3:20 pm

Didn't the Concourse used to have a comedy club?
Ned Flanders
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jjoyce » Wed Jul 15, 2009 3:44 pm

ryoose wrote:If you don't like stand-up, you don't like stand up. That's fine. It's your decision. I just don't understand why you have to be such a hater about it.

Thank you for reassuring me that I have the right to speak my mind and agree or disagree with others discussing the same subject. Seems to me that you called me out, not the other way around.

I believe it's perfectly valid criticism to say that Madison doesn't have a thriving stand-up scene. When you make the decision to get on stage and tell jokes in front of a paying audience, it's okay for others to be critical of that. That's not hating. Hating, actually, implies jealousy or envy which I can assure you is not the case here.
jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Jazznews » Wed Jul 15, 2009 4:05 pm

Joan Cusack was a member of Ark Improvisation while she was a student in Madison. There's a story about how she was here visiting a friend during the time she was on Saturday Night Live. She went with her friend who was delivering pizzas and one of the customers had a rerun of SNL on when they were there. And Joan was in the skit on the show. The guy looked at the TV and looked at her and was kind of awe-struck, I guess.

jjoyce wrote:I know that stand-ups seem to think that their craft is the end-all/be-all of being funny. Tell that to David Sedaris.

I posted this elsewhere, but maybe it will lighten up the mood here.
Jazznews
Forum Addict

Postby ryoose » Thu Jul 16, 2009 2:38 am

jjoyce wrote:Thank you for reassuring me that I have the right to speak my mind and agree or disagree with others discussing the same subject. Seems to me that you called me out, not the other way around.

I believe it's perfectly valid criticism to say that Madison doesn't have a thriving stand-up scene. When you make the decision to get on stage and tell jokes in front of a paying audience, it's okay for others to be critical of that. That's not hating. Hating, actually, implies jealousy or envy which I can assure you is not the case here.

I don't really want to get in to a pissing contest, but you kind of "called out" comedy in Madison before I ever got involved. I was just defending.

As far as the second part of you argument goes....Most of the comics that go on stage in Madison are either in front of a crowd that pays nothing...or that pays two dollars. I know the print media has taken a beating lately, we all have, but if you've gone to a comedy show lately and you feel like you've been cheated out of two dollars, I can reimburse you. Let me know where to mail the cash to.
ryoose

Postby Peanutbutter » Thu Jul 16, 2009 9:47 am

The 3-4 times I've seen jjoyce in person I didn't see him smile or laugh at all. And no, we weren't at a comedy club.
Peanutbutter
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Flowers » Thu Jul 16, 2009 5:11 pm

You would think a magazine that nobody reads would be more supportive of performers that nobody watches.

Jason, we don't send you emails to amuse you, we send you emails so that you can list our events in your paper. I'm flattered that you have been mistaking our form letters for personal communiques. In that respect, you remind me of Diane from Cheers*, except that I don't want to hold hands with you. No, not even if you promise not to tell your friends.

There is a problem with the way your paper treats comedy when the Mayor, at least one alder, the writers of Madison A-Z, the makers of several documentaries, the guys who made Chad Vader, and Lee Rayburn, will come out to a packed house at one of the hottest venues in town, and your magazine very nearly refuses to admit the show even exists.

How can you honestly say that Madison readers should trust you when you skip over so many things that might interest them?

*Season 5, Episode 10, "Everyone Imitates Art."
Flowers

Postby jjoyce » Thu Jul 16, 2009 6:06 pm

What's with this "Recognize me! Admit I exist!" neediness? Is that supposed to be funny? Is this some kind of "alternative" comedy bit?

Let me get this logic right: Nobody reads Isthmus because it doesn't recognize the brilliant local comedy scene, which is why some local comics are so intent on trying to get Isthmus to write about them. Did I get that right?

The Dan Potacke thing was actually kind of amusing and I'm only sorry that he actually got a blurb because I would have liked to see how far he was willing to go with the thing. But this thread just reinforces what I think about the local comedy scene. I mean, the original post was trying to convince me that we NEED a local comedy thread on this board (to compete with the Onion evidently, or something). For what? To host more threads like this one?
jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Postby white_rabbit » Thu Jul 16, 2009 9:56 pm

jjoyce wrote: I mean, the original post was trying to convince me that we NEED a local comedy thread on this board (to compete with the Onion evidently, or something).

For someone who works in journalism your reading comprehension sucks. The intent of the this thread was not to be an Onion style thread to make you chuckle, but a subsection to promote local comedy.

blunt wrote:Here's what I want now:
Can we get a COMEDY division?
Not a place to be funny in. We are hilarious wherever we are.
A place that's specific to comedy and comedy shows.
ARTS isn't enough and even though comedy can be found at the music venues listings, MUSIC overshadows any COMEDY news.

I have rarely been critical of Isthmus, but both this constant belittling attitude and defensive and condescending posturing of Isthmus employees on both TDPF and the print edition lately is quite nauseating. It's sad watching a beloved institution like Isthmus and TDPF go down the tubes (in quality and customer focused attitude). What's even more insulting is the overwhelming attitude that the readers and forum participants are not the customers. We may not be the paying customers, but with out us the advertisers who are the paying customers will disappear right along with us. We readers and forons are the commodity that sells your ad space, if you can't recognize that you are doomed. Quite frankly, your collective attitude lately sucks and you need to find a renewed interest in customer service to both the paying and non-paying customers. Stop the defensive posturing and get back to the basics of creative and quality journalism, be open to suggestions and acknowledge and appreciate your readers. Remember, the readers and forons may not pay the bills, but we pay the bills of those who pay your bills.
white_rabbit
Forum God/Goddess

PreviousNext

Return to Comments on Isthmus & isthmus.com