MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Friday, December 26, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 38.0° F  Fair
Collapse Photo Bar

Either kick him off the boat or...

Comments on the paper, the website, the mobile site and all other Isthmus-generated products go here.

Either kick him off the boat or...

Postby doppel » Thu Jul 16, 2009 11:53 pm

Cut off his fucking fingers and nose so he can no longer type. Jizznews has 24 posts (trust me, I counted) in the last two days. Pull the plug. Put two or three socks in it. This much keen insight is more than the teeming masses can stand. Headlines pasted, a comment on every topic and a myopic viewpoint --The three deadly sins of the Daily page. Or they should be. It's three strikes and you're outta here. As they say in Chicago, Vote early and vote often
doppel
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Either kick him off the boat or...

Postby Jazznews » Fri Jul 17, 2009 1:02 am

doppel wrote:Cut off his fucking fingers and nose so he can no longer type. Jizznews has 24 posts (trust me, I counted) in the last two days. Pull the plug. Put two or three socks in it. This much keen insight is more than the teeming masses can stand. Headlines pasted, a comment on every topic and a myopic viewpoint --The three deadly sins of the Daily page. Or they should be. It's three strikes and you're outta here. As they say in Chicago, Vote early and vote often

It's she not he, thanks. Really, posting topics, commenting (and definitely not on every topic) and what viewpoint? are not allowed here? Thanks for telling me, doppel. Here I thought it was a forum where people had discussions with each other. There's a thread about the forums being dead, so I wanted to help. Is there a limit on posts per day? I could delete some, if it would make you happy.
Jazznews
Forum Addict

Postby bluethedog » Fri Jul 17, 2009 5:42 am

Doppel is right; others have already commented on it too.

It's not "helping", it's spamming.

A per day post limit would be nice.
bluethedog
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jjoyce » Fri Jul 17, 2009 7:54 am

Let's be clear: There are no rules being violated.

BUT, the critics are right. It's just too much. Not every thread needs to be commented in, particularly when there's nothing substantial to add. Jazznews' posts read like someone chained to the desk with nothing better to do, and Forum has always been at its best when people who DO have better things to do are saying interesting things here.

I fear those people are bored in the opposite direction. I'd prefer positive peer pressure in this area rather than negative. But if drastic measures are necessary....
jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Dairylander » Fri Jul 17, 2009 7:57 am

Whether the critics are right or wrong, there could have been a much more gentle way to communicate this sentiment.
If Jazznews gets booted for being annoying, Doppel should get booted for being a total dick about it.
Dairylander
Forum God/Goddess

Postby narcoleptish » Fri Jul 17, 2009 9:17 am

Oooof...that IS a little rough. I made one comment one time about it too, so I won't be a hypocrite but I wasn't calling for a ban, just giving some shit.

Jazznews, you could ease up on the fluff and the linked stories with nary a comment, but the last thing we need around here is LESS content.
narcoleptish
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Peanutbutter » Fri Jul 17, 2009 10:09 am

This thread says that there are too many topics.
Another thread asks why is this place so dead.
Some people say ban her.
Others say muzzle her.

Is that the sound of a purge I hear? Dawn is breaking on Peyton Place and all the Stepford wives are a flutter. Somebody better change the lock and alert the guards - this gated community is due for some more drastic changes.

I like the idea of limiting everyone to just one post per day. If I wanted to see more content then I'd go to a different forum. The fact that very few people post here makes it easier to visit just once a week and still stay caught up.

Either that or install an "ignore" function for this board. If that was working properly then this thread never would have been started in the first place.
Peanutbutter
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Jazznews » Fri Jul 17, 2009 11:20 am

There is an ignore function. I used it for someone that has caused me problems. But I guess people would rather attack people than use it. Okay, bye.
Jazznews
Forum Addict

Postby Jazznews » Fri Jul 17, 2009 11:33 am

bluethedog wrote:Doppel is right; others have already commented on it too.

It's not "helping", it's spamming.

A per day post limit would be nice.

You're as much of jerk here as you were on madison.com, "I" aka "Taxpayertoo." It's a good thing you were banned from there.
Jazznews
Forum Addict

Alas, that train has sailed...

Postby Marvell » Fri Jul 17, 2009 11:50 am

Peanutbutter wrote:Is that the sound of a purge I hear? Dawn is breaking on Peyton Place and all the Stepford wives are a flutter. Somebody better change the lock and alert the guards - this gated community is due for some more drastic changes.

Or, at least, an avalanche of mixed metaphors.
Marvell
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Thusnelda » Fri Jul 17, 2009 12:09 pm

Jazz, aka Genie, are you employed? I mean, in a job doing anything other than posting on forums?
Thusnelda
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Alas, that train has sailed...

Postby Ned Flounders » Fri Jul 17, 2009 12:21 pm

Marvell wrote:
Peanutbutter wrote:Is that the sound of a purge I hear? Dawn is breaking on Peyton Place and all the Stepford wives are a flutter. Somebody better change the lock and alert the guards - this gated community is due for some more drastic changes.

A thundering avalanche of mixed metaphors, flooding our fair city like the rolling glaciers that crushed its prehistoric landscape beneath their feet during the last ice age.
Ned Flounders
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Jazznews » Fri Jul 17, 2009 12:40 pm

On madison.com, they refer to this place as the "Gated Community," and it is - it's like a clique. A small group of people who know each other, plus a few others that post now and then. But then madison.com is the same way - a small group of regulars and the site mod kicks out people who don't fit in.

I tried posting here the way I used to there, just to see what would happen. So the reaction doesn't surprise me. I posted a lot of topics on madison.com - especially around election time. In fact many of the topics in their Local Election section were posted by me. But people there aren't as interested in local politics as people here. And the locals pols post here, not there. Brenda Konkel had a blog there at one time, but she would get attacked viciously. I once asked Austin King if he would post on a topic there, and he quoted some nasty attack as an example of why he wouldn't.

Thusnelda wrote:Jazz, aka Genie, are you employed? I mean, in a job doing anything other than posting on forums?

Not that it's really any of your business, but not right now. There are no jobs.

I do have a lot of work to do around the house though. I have to build a couple of screens and repair another one, and paint their frames. I have to paint the kitchen, a mural on the garage, redo the bathroom ceiling, refinish the livingroom floor and other things.
Last edited by Jazznews on Mon Jul 20, 2009 12:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jazznews
Forum Addict

Re: Alas, that train has sailed...

Postby Jazznews » Fri Jul 17, 2009 12:40 pm

Ned Flounders wrote:
Marvell wrote:

A thundering avalanche of mixed metaphors, flooding our fair city like the rolling glaciers that crushed its prehistoric landscape beneath their feet during the last ice age.

:lol:
Jazznews
Forum Addict

Postby supaunknown » Fri Jul 17, 2009 1:04 pm

Jazzy's OK. Needs a proper job is all. Like the rest of us. :roll:
A one post per day limit? Get real.
supaunknown
Forum God/Goddess

Next

Return to Comments on Isthmus & isthmus.com