Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
breese stevens field
Friday, July 25, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 64.0° F  Overcast
Collapse Photo Bar

Coffee, what are you drinking?

Bars, wine, beer, cocktails, drunken escapades

Re: Coffee, what are you drinking?

Postby Bwis53 » Wed Jul 01, 2009 4:51 pm

I had a redeye last week, at a place I'll call to complain, and give a second chance. (it was bitter and muddy)

Today, I was at Cargo, on S.Park. Their redeye was smooth, rich and strong, just the way I like it. And it was nice to linger outside and think about how sweet the south side can be.
Bwis53
Forum God/Goddess

Postby altcountryman » Thu Jul 02, 2009 10:48 pm

bitcharista wrote:

Thanks. Damn, I'm one of those "buy local" freaks. Anyone know who carries these in stock around town? I'd use this instead of a thermos!

I'm pretty certain Fontana (local-local) would have a Lexan press, very possibly Erehwon (I think they're local), and most definitely REI (WA state biz but employees are local).
altcountryman

Postby LLUrbanUnderachiever » Fri Jul 03, 2009 1:39 am

altcountryman wrote:
bitcharista wrote:

Thanks. Damn, I'm one of those "buy local" freaks. Anyone know who carries these in stock around town? I'd use this instead of a thermos!

I'm pretty certain Fontana (local-local) would have a Lexan press, very possibly Erehwon (I think they're local), and most definitely REI (WA state biz but employees are local).

Sorry, I thought I included the fact that I got the GSI travel press at Fontana on State St. They have the 30 and 50oz sizes for $25 and $30 respectively on the second floor.
LLUrbanUnderachiever
Forum Addict

Postby bitcharista » Sun Jul 05, 2009 5:13 pm

I busted my $1 garage sale automatic drip coffee pot the other day. My home espresso machine really doesn't do the job so I have been cold pressing with the cheapo french press overnight in the fridge.

WAY more caffeine with this method which is always a plus, it makes a great alternative in my water bottle for that early morning bike ride to work.

S&B Mexican...
bitcharista
Forum Addict

Postby bitcharista » Mon Jul 06, 2009 5:45 pm

Have you ever tried roasting your own beans?

Did you know you can use a popcorn popper?

I just discovered this local bean supplier and haven't had a chance yet to check them out.

http://www.burmancoffee.com/

Their website says they have local pickup at the Sentry Hilldale.

Have you tried them?
bitcharista
Forum Addict

Postby bitcharista » Tue Jul 21, 2009 5:27 pm

Spent most of my daydreaming today at work about ristretto. Almost nailed it but not quite.

Working on my latte art too. So close.

As far as what I'm drinking, just a straight black whatever Ancora origin is featured, hot. Today I think it was Papau New Guinea.
bitcharista
Forum Addict

Postby TheBookPolice » Tue Jul 21, 2009 6:28 pm

Pod espresso in a hotel room in Montreal. Not as good as at an honest-to-god cafe, but I'm also in my underpants.
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby LLUrbanUnderachiever » Tue Jul 21, 2009 6:37 pm

Mocha with TJ's Volcano Superdark and Penzeys cocoa mix. Hits the spot with this March weather we're having.
LLUrbanUnderachiever
Forum Addict

Postby bitcharista » Wed Jul 29, 2009 9:36 am

Support your local coffeehouse today. This economy is hard on the little guy. Indulge yourself.

I'm going to ride my bike down to a locally owned coffeehouse and get something sweet. Maybe a raspberry-white mocha frappe with fresh whip cream. I'm going to chat with the barista, hang out and leave a big tip.
bitcharista
Forum Addict

Postby TheBookPolice » Wed Jul 29, 2009 9:43 am

House blend from Ground Zero.

Got a Yama coffee syphon and some home-roasted beans from a relative for a wedding gift. Haven't fired it up yet, but I'm intrigued. Am I misunderstanding the operation, or are they similar to Chemex pots? (Not that I know how to work those, either, but I've read about 'em before.)
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby prenticeberge » Thu Aug 06, 2009 1:05 pm

Sampling Kenyan Peaberry from Johnson Brothers (got 96 points Coffee Review). Roasted medium light, just the way it should be. Blueberry notes with very nice nutty (brazil nuts/cashews) flavors that linger nicely. First cup of coffee in a long time where I didn't want any cream at all in it. So nice to have a roast not a burn!
prenticeberge

Postby Violet_Skye » Thu Aug 06, 2009 10:40 pm

Cafe du Monde, honey and whole milk. Bon temps.
Violet_Skye
Forum God/Goddess

Postby bitcharista » Fri Aug 14, 2009 12:19 pm

TheBookPolice wrote:Got a Yama coffee syphon and some home-roasted beans from a relative for a wedding gift. Haven't fired it up yet, but I'm intrigued. Am I misunderstanding the operation, or are they similar to Chemex pots? (Not that I know how to work those, either, but I've read about 'em before.)

The Yama is a vacuum brewer and the Chemex is simple infusion, two totally different systems.

I've never played around with a vacuum brewer but they look pretty neat.

I'm drinking iced jasmine pearl green tea from Rishi right now but very early this morning I had a big Ancorra Honduras from the local coffeehouse. Because the barista was distracting me I accidentally had it with cream. My first cup of coffee in the morning should always be black.

I'm making a pot of cold pressed burundi right now for later.
bitcharista
Forum Addict

Postby fennel » Fri Aug 14, 2009 1:22 pm

bitcharista wrote:The Yama is a vacuum brewer and the Chemex is simple infusion, two totally different systems.
Not infusion, technically, but a drip filter. A french press would be a method of infusion.

... but the distinction itself requires an infusion of caffeine, I guess.
fennel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby bitcharista » Fri Aug 14, 2009 1:40 pm

fennel wrote:
bitcharista wrote:The Yama is a vacuum brewer and the Chemex is simple infusion, two totally different systems.
Not infusion, technically, but a drip filter. A french press would be a method of infusion.

... but the distinction itself requires an infusion of caffeine, I guess.

Drip is a form of infusion method. More convenient than a french press, the shape and thickness of the filter regulate the desired infusion time....at least that's the way I understand it.
bitcharista
Forum Addict

PreviousNext

Return to Beer, wine & cocktails