MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Friday, October 24, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 54.0° F  Overcast
Collapse Photo Bar

Doug's Soul Food

Where are you eating and what do you think? What's opening, closing, succeeding, failing?

Doug's Soul Food

Postby Parintachin » Wed Oct 08, 2008 5:52 pm

We went on Sunday a few weeks ago. It's a cute little place. The kinda hole in the wall joint you used to get points for knowing existed (before the internet). Great fried chicken, good food, EXCELLENT pie. Very reasonable check at the end as well.

Anybody else been?
Parintachin

Postby Henry Vilas » Wed Oct 08, 2008 6:18 pm

A review (with address and hours) here.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby christopher_robin » Thu Oct 09, 2008 2:14 pm

Isthmus review (today's ish):

http://www.thedailypage.com/eats/articl ... icle=23991

"try the not-too-dense lemon pound cake with delicate sugar glaze or the flaky-crusted sweet potato pie."
christopher_robin
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Thu Oct 09, 2008 3:21 pm

I'm there.
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Hank_Venison » Thu Oct 09, 2008 3:49 pm

So this is in the Greenway Plaza? Did it replace the Mexican place that was there?
Hank_Venison
Forum Addict

Postby christopher_robin » Thu Oct 09, 2008 4:04 pm

Hank_Venison wrote:So this is in the Greenway Plaza? Did it replace the Mexican place that was there?

Nope, same mini-mall, but it's across the hall from Marimar.

Go. Get the fried chicken. And the catfish. And hush puppies and collard greens. And black-eyed peas and short ribs. And sweet potato pie. And tell your friends--we want this joint to stay open for a long, long time.
christopher_robin
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Parintachin » Thu Oct 09, 2008 4:37 pm

Henry Vilas wrote:A review (with address and hours) here.

Further yammering by moi here.
Parintachin

Postby Parintachin » Thu Oct 09, 2008 4:40 pm

Henry Vilas wrote:A review (with address and hours) here.

Parintachin

Postby snoqueen » Thu Oct 09, 2008 6:25 pm

Parintachin wrote:

Doug is the MATC Truax chef! Thanks for clarifying that for me -- when I looked at the food pictures I thought it had to be his work, and I was right.

He's a GREAT soul food cook. I'll never forget those sweet potatoes, tasty little hush puppies, and the other awesome specialties I enjoyed while I was a student.

Everybody, pay this restaurant a visit. A good guy, a good cook, and good wishes to his new venture.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby christopher_robin » Fri Oct 10, 2008 11:14 am

Thanks, <snoqueen>.

"A good guy, a good cook, and good wishes to his new venture" is just perfect.
christopher_robin
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Doug's Soul Food

Postby naybobber » Thu Nov 06, 2008 4:15 pm

We ate there the other night. So good. Be sure to get the greens, sweet potatoes (to die for) and hush puppies. The cole slaw, corn bread, mac/cheese not anything special - go for the other stuff.

Fried chicken is real fried chicken, just like your mama made - not some 'broasted' crap like at most restaurants. Short ribs were excellent. Very meaty, not too fatty for short ribs and the sauce was nice and tangy. I'll be getting those again.

Our whole tab, with a piece of pie was just $20 bucks. GO!
naybobber

Postby toniziemer » Wed Nov 19, 2008 1:18 pm

We finally tried Doug's last night. I was very excited to try it after glowing Forumite reviews. Gotta say, we had a mixed reaction.
First the good...The fried chicken was great, the catfish, also fantastic. Otherwise, though, the hush puppies, sweet potatoes, ribs, greens and black eyed peas all were overcooked. The hush puppies were nearly burned. I can tell they would have been good if cooked the proper amount. Maybe it's because we didn't pick up the food until 7ish, but we were disappointed by its mushy or scorchy overcookedness. We will go back, and order/eat earlier, but our first experience was not as I had hoped.
toniziemer
Forum Addict

Postby TheBookPolice » Tue Jul 28, 2009 5:42 pm

I'm sorry to say it took me nine months or so to live up to my "I'm there" assessment.

I won't say for certain until I've had Doug's fried chicken, but on the strength of his catfish and greens, he's doing a great job of filling the void in my soul left by Jada's.

The mac and cheese and cornbread leave something to be desired--maybe butter, in the case of both. But they're sides for a reason. The catfish is the real star of my first meal. The crust is snappy and savory, and the fish is cooked just right.

Of course, the service was sweet and perfect, clearly genuine. The greens, I was told with no small measure of well-earned pride, were just finishing up being cooked (maybe this is the key, toni; be the first customer in the door). The aroma filled the entire place.

I hope I'm back before then, but I look forward to chitlins this fall.

ADDED: It should go without saying for soul food, but for the record--I paid a measly $10 for a big slab of catfish, ample portions of both greens and mac and cheese, a cornbread muffin, and a little tub of zingy hot sauce. Coulda been two meals.
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Madsci » Tue Jul 28, 2009 8:55 pm

Where is this fine establishment? My hubby loves his fried chicken and I rather not go to Popeyes.
Madsci
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Tue Jul 28, 2009 10:10 pm

Greenway Plaza, which is on Greenway Cross off of Fish Hatchery. It is not at Greenway Station in Middleton.

Y'know, I'd better just post the link to a map. Suffice it to say, it's much better for fried chicken than Popeye's or the one-block-away KFC.

http://www.thedailypage.com/theguide/ve ... venue=3093
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Next

Return to Restaurant News & Reviews