MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Sunday, September 21, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 56.0° F  Overcast
Collapse Photo Bar

anyone proficient on sony vegas?

Wiis, PlayStations, iPads, blogging platforms, Facebook and anything else worthy of buzz in the digital world.

Re: anyone proficient on sony vegas?

Postby Dust Mite Rodeo » Tue Jul 28, 2009 9:39 pm

I'm proficient on Sonny Vegas, lounge singer, impersonations.
Fly me to the moon...
Dust Mite Rodeo
Forum God/Goddess

Postby supaunknown » Wed Jul 29, 2009 12:13 pm

depinmad wrote:yeah i've tried the help index a few times, but just now your explanation of grabbing the fade and pulling was the most helpful tip i've received yet.
my goal is to keep working with it for the next three weeks or so and see how i feel at that time.
i just feel like maybe i'm doing things way more awkwardly than i have to. for instance, i wanted to get rid of some audio glitches on a small section at the end of a video clip and the closest i could figure to do it was to split the track so that the one piece was isolated and then drag down the gain for that whole new split clip. i can't seem to figure out how to ride the volume up and down over the course of a clip.

Splitting the track and lowering the gain certainly works, but try getting into using the Track Envelopes instead:
On your audio track, on the left side where the controls are, there's a little icon that looks like a fat-bodied "t". This is the Track FX. Click on that and it should bring up all the plug-in effects you have available. Most likely you have one that says Volume. Add this and click OK. In the top right corner of the Audio Plug-In window, you'll see a slightly stouter version of that FX icon with what looks like little sliders underneath it - the FX Automation Chooser. Click on this and checkmark Volume, then OK. There will now be an adjustable volume track envelope placed directly on your audio track's timeline. Double-click on the envelope line wherever you'd like to insert an adjustable point. Go through the audio track on the timeline and insert as many adjustment points as you need for whichever sections need tweaks. You can now raise/lower the volume of those sections by dragging either the points or the envelope line itself on the timeline. A bit complicated-sounding, but once you do it a couple times, it becomes old hat. The track effects envelopes also work for many (but not all) of the other effects also, like reverb, delay, etc. Very handy. Check the Help Index for more info.

*edit*
You can also adjust & set the automation envelope by playing the audio track back in real time and manually moving the volume slider within the FX Automation pop-up window according to taste. As you do this the program will write your adjustments on the envelope line and remember them. I personally find this way of doing things too inaccurate and frustrating, but to each their own.
supaunknown
Forum God/Goddess

Postby depinmad » Wed Jul 29, 2009 4:40 pm

thanks! gonna try that right now.
depinmad
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bretley » Thu Jul 30, 2009 8:22 pm

The user forums at Sony's website will help you:http://www.sonycreativesoftware.com/forums/default.asp

There are also training videos here: http://www.sonycreativesoftware.com/support/trainingvids.asp?prod=vegaspro, some which specifically address fades and transistions.

If you are just starting out and want to do simple edits, Vegas Pro is a lot more than you need. I would suggest starting with one of the consumer-level apps, such as Vegas Movie Studio. Later you can easily graduate to Vegas Pro if you see fit.
Bretley

Postby depinmad » Thu Jul 30, 2009 8:47 pm

thanks very much. those links should be very helpful. i'm starting to grasp some of the basic concepts now and i've been having a lot of fun with it today. very cool stuff.
depinmad
Forum God/Goddess

Previous

Return to Technology & Video Games