MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Tuesday, September 2, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 62.0° F  Fair
Collapse Photo Bar

MTV Michael Jackson marathon

How can cultural elitists like ourselves put TV in the Culture category? Well, where the hell else is it going to fit?

MTV Michael Jackson marathon

Postby Lily » Thu Jul 30, 2009 6:55 pm

In the latest edition of Isthmus, Dean Robbins states Michael Jackson is overrated. In terms of his music I have to agree. Oh, back in the day I listened to my fair share of his music. It was fun and he sold a ton of albums. IMHO, where Michael Jackson made himself exceptional was in the new style of music video. He created "Thriller" which was a mini-movie with great choreography. Most of the other MTV music videos at the time featured boring scenes of the band playing somewhere--live or in a studio. Right around that time many other artists started producing more creative music videos (or hired artists to make them) and really came out with interesting stuff. Jackson was not the first to do this, but he certainly was on the cutting edge. In fact, MTV would heavily advertise the first showing whenever a new Michael Jackson video would come out.

For the most part, I have avoided all the MJ stuff in the news. It's amazing that celebrities who would have nothing to do with him one week before his death are suddenly MJ experts, huge fans, or best pals. He was good at selling albums but his personal life apparently was a mess.
Lily
Forum God/Goddess

Re: MTV Michael Jackson marathon

Postby Kenneth Burns » Thu Jul 30, 2009 8:00 pm

For better or worse "Thriller" helped launch a brief vogue for spoken dialog in music videos. Who can forget Dennis De Young's "Desert Moon" clip? "Do you know where you're going?" "I don't know. Maybe Chicago." Chills.
Kenneth Burns
Forum God/Goddess

Postby boston_jeff » Thu Jul 30, 2009 8:22 pm

Dean Robbins is the reason I avoid reading television criticism in the Isthmus. Now he's opining music? Run...run away.
boston_jeff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Kenneth Burns » Thu Jul 30, 2009 8:58 pm

Harsh. Dean is the pride of Isthmus.
Kenneth Burns
Forum God/Goddess

Postby boston_jeff » Thu Jul 30, 2009 9:12 pm

Sorry, but I disagree with his reviews 95% of the time. And Michael Jackson was a musical genius.
boston_jeff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Lily » Thu Jul 30, 2009 9:43 pm

boston_jeff wrote:Sorry, but I disagree with his reviews 95% of the time. And Michael Jackson was a musical genius.

Although I enjoy his music I don't know about musical genius. He certainly was an entertainment/performing genius. He spared no expenses on his live performances and his videos. He experimented with modern dance paying tribute to Fred Astaire, Cyd Charisse, and Gene Kelly. The whole crotch grab thing was a bit weird but whether on film or live he knew how to astound an audience.
Lily
Forum God/Goddess

Return to TV