MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Sunday, September 21, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 57.0° F  Fair
Collapse Photo Bar

More Bullshit from Blaska

Comments on the paper, the website, the mobile site and all other Isthmus-generated products go here.

More Bullshit from Blaska

Postby O.J. » Thu Jul 30, 2009 6:11 pm

Like many in these neighborhoods, Frick wonders why the police can't issue tickets for laws already on the books- in this case, open intoxicants and curfew violations.

So, Dave, what exactly would moving curfew up an hour accomplish?
O.J.
Forum God/Goddess

Re: More Bullshit from Blaska

Postby Walter » Thu Jul 30, 2009 6:37 pm

And 3 cops are going to walk into a crowd of 60 people and start handing out tickets...right.
Walter
Forum God/Goddess

Postby boston_jeff » Thu Jul 30, 2009 8:29 pm

If you ignore him and avoid reading him, he will go away. Isthmus only retains him (and the nimrod who went to Germany to drink beer) so that they have a "conservative" voice. Personally I would rather read Ned. At least Ned doesn't pine away for "broken windows" crime theory and curfews.

Avoid Blaska, he gets laid off.
boston_jeff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby white_rabbit » Thu Jul 30, 2009 8:53 pm

boston_jeff wrote:If you ignore him and avoid reading him, he will go away.

Unfortunately in this case, if you ignore Blaska he will not go away but only remain ignored. Sometimes that's the best you can expect.
white_rabbit
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Fri Jul 31, 2009 5:18 pm

Walter wrote:And 3 cops are going to walk into a crowd of 60 people and start handing out tickets...right.

I get your point. I'm curious....what a reasonable risk/reward number would be, if that's not a trade secret.

If it's 3 cops wading into a crowd of 20 people, I promise I won't get 21 scofflaws together to test it.

To the point of the thread....I admit I read Blaska, mainly to see what he'll come up with next. It would be interesting to see how often and how long he gloats about Thuy running unopposed in the last election and Brenda losing....as if one had the remotest connection with the other. I guess I just find tortured logic fascinating or something.
gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Walter » Sun Aug 02, 2009 5:13 am

No secrets and no bright line rules.

It depends. If there are 60 people from Madison Area Peace Coalition sitting in front of the gates at Truax who want to be cited and are organized for it, no problem. 60 people who have been drinking at an after bar means we need a lot more cops to do any enforcement.

We have to take into account any number of factors before making enforcement action decisions regarding large groups, including size of group, offenses, time, place, and our available resources. Usually a few officers' presence is enough to break up a large group. If not, then we call more until there is enough.

If enforcement is necessary, we try to target the main instigators or leaders who are being confrontational or continuing in behavior. The last thing we want is to rush in, make things worse, and have people get injured.

Sorry I don't have a more exciting answer. "It depends" covers a lot of what we do.
Walter
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Walter » Sun Aug 02, 2009 11:15 am

RE: Blaska's latest (8/2)

1. The Chief often wears suits at work. He does not always wear a uniform.

2. The Chief sent an email out last week to notify the Department that Madison did not receive a COPS grant.

3. In the same email, the Chief noted that an increased gang unit was likely not feasible due to #2.
Walter
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Jazznews » Sun Aug 02, 2009 3:23 pm

Not good.
Jazznews
Forum Addict

Postby TheBookPolice » Mon Aug 17, 2009 2:55 pm

Today's latest is so fucking distasteful even I am surprised Blaska would stoop to it. Click through if you'd like to read him blithely applauding the killing of criminals by civilians.

http://isthmus.com/r/?r=1e5

TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby ilikebeans » Tue Aug 18, 2009 2:35 am

TheBookPolice wrote:Today's latest is so fucking distasteful even I am surprised Blaska would stoop to it. Click through if you'd like to read him blithely applauding the killing of criminals by civilians.

From the article Blaska references:

The police said the invaders announced a holdup, approached the two employees and tried to place plastic handcuffs on them. The male employee, a 35-year-old known in the community as J. B., struggled with the gunman, who then hit him on the head with the pistol.

Watching it happen, Mr. Augusto, whom neighborhood friends call Gus, rose from a chair 20 to 30 feet away and took out a loaded Winchester 12-gauge pump-action shotgun with a pistol-grip handle. The police said he bought it after a robbery 30 years ago.

Mr. Augusto, who has never been in trouble with the law, fired three blasts in rapid succession, the police said, although Vernon McKenzie, working at an Internet company next door, heard only two booms, loud enough to send him rushing to a window, where he heard someone shout: “You’re dead! You’re dead!”

They were obviously armed; there was a physical assault. While Mr. Augusto might have overreacted somewhat in the heat of the moment (one shotgun blast would probably have been sufficient), I have absolutely no problem with a citizen's use of deadly force in the situation as described.
ilikebeans
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Tue Aug 18, 2009 8:14 am

Do I have a problem with justifiable self-defense? No. Gloating? High-fives and free beers? There's my problem.
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bad Gradger » Mon Aug 24, 2009 7:56 pm

If it turns out that Blaska is using his TDP blog to launch a political campaign, as today's post might suggest, is he going to have to retroactively report Isthmus as an in-kind contributor?
Bad Gradger
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Thusnelda » Mon Aug 24, 2009 10:40 pm

His veneration of Come On People is starting to sound almost Objectivist. Blergh.
Thusnelda
Forum God/Goddess

Postby boston_jeff » Tue Aug 25, 2009 11:05 am

Stop reading Berg and Blaska.

They exist only to rile up readers, and until you stop reading them, their columns will be considered successful and they will continue to spew baby doodoo squirt every week on the Isthmus' pages. I'm down with reading intelligent conservative Op-eds, but these two ding dongs couldn't write or think their way out of a paper bag.

Stop reading it.
boston_jeff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby peripat » Fri Aug 28, 2009 9:05 pm

Does anyone- other than David & Rick themselves- actually pick up a Isthmus because they want to read David & Rick?
peripat
Forum God/Goddess

Next

Return to Comments on Isthmus & isthmus.com