MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Monday, December 22, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 36.0° F  Overcast with Haze
Collapse Photo Bar

The Hurt Locker

Comment on the Isthmus movie reviews, write one yourself, discuss upcoming flicks, recent DVDs, and other realms in the world of cinema.

The Hurt Locker

Postby Bigredhunk » Tue Aug 04, 2009 11:48 pm

Saw this today. Average-Good. I'm not sure where all the love is coming from, as I've seen "war movies" done much better. I dig that Kathryn Bigelow directed it.
Bigredhunk
Forum Addict

Re: The Hurt Locker

Postby TAsunder » Wed Aug 05, 2009 10:09 am

What war movies do you have in mind? I thought it was like Saving Private Ryan without the sappy bullshit. That's high praise in my book, as realistic battle scenes are rare even though war movies are not. The sets and locations were breathtaking, and the film really had an ominous and lost-at-sea feel to it. The writer was an embedded reporter with an actual bomb squad. I guess I am in the "loved it" crowd.
TAsunder
Forum God/Goddess

Postby boston_jeff » Wed Aug 05, 2009 10:55 am

Can't wait to see this.

Had to take my wife to Funny People and 500 Days of Summer for b-day related events this past week instead though. Hopefully it will stay at Sundance for a couple more weeks.
boston_jeff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bigredhunk » Sat Aug 08, 2009 6:29 pm

I'd list "Private Ryan" as a war movie I enjoyed much more. This movie didn't captivate me like it has others. I just saw a maverick/cowboy looking for an adrenaline rush (a reason I think some people join the military) putting his unit at risk. I didn't connect with it. I checked my watch a couple of times, which never happens when I love a movie.

I like the director. I like the cast, Jeremy Renner & Anthony Mackie in particular. Loved the cameos by GP, DM, & RP.

It's been a year of weak movies though. I probably really enjoyed TWO movies from Jan through April. This wouldn't make my top 5 of the year. I'd give it a 3 out of 5 or 6 out of 10. Reading reviews on Netflix, I seemed to feel the same way about it as those who rated it 3 stars did.
Bigredhunk
Forum Addict

Postby supaunknown » Mon Aug 10, 2009 10:42 am

The Hurt Locker would be a great name for an emo band.
supaunknown
Forum God/Goddess

Postby brendalia » Sat Feb 13, 2010 4:44 am

What is a cute way to decorate a locker room? My cheerleading squad has a thing we do where we decorate the football team's locker room before every home game. We have decided on a rock theme; "Rock the Rams" and need ideas for decorations. Its our last game and we want it to be the best we've done all year. Anybody got a cute suggestion ?
Last edited by brendalia on Fri Feb 19, 2010 1:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
brendalia

Postby crevice beatle » Sat Feb 13, 2010 5:11 pm

I'm hestitant to bring any additional wasted attention to the previous post; though mildly humorous, the effort of creating a user name outweighs the merits of the joke.

To anyone who even remotely enjoyed The Hurt Locker, I highly recommend the HBO series Generation Kill (from the same people who created The Wire). All episodes are currently out out on Dvd (3 discs). I liked Hurt Locker's focus on the bomb squad and its success in building tension in scenes involving their duties. In terms of a general protrayal of the Iraq War, subplots, and charachters you care more about, I got more out of Generation Kill. I would be interested to find out how any Iraq War vets compare the two depictions in terms of realism. I thought The Hurt Locker was a worthwhile war film, I just couldn't stop myself from feeling that it fell short of the Generation Kill mini-series.
crevice beatle
Forum Addict

Return to Movies